Ineos Grenadier revealed!! - Page 10

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Default Re: Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Yes and the previous generation Patrol Wagon, most underrated vehicles, and so easily forgotten.
    Keep quiet. Don't tell anybody. The price will go up.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Keep quiet. Don't tell anybody. The price will go up.
    Are they still available new? The Y61?
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

There might be old stock somewhere but officially the model is past the end of sales life. Reenen might know.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    It is funny how everybody leaves one of the best vehicles out the whole time, in discussions about work horses

True, just a pity Nissan dropped the ball a bit with their last diesel engine option. The TB42 would have done better, but then Nissan marketing.......!!!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

[QUOTE=Fontuin;44281

Just thinking off the top of my head here, but I wonder if Grenadier wouldn't be able to partner with manufacturers in different parts of the world for region specific products. So in Europe BMW and ZF supply engines and gearboxes, but in SA Isuzu supply the engines and gearboxes for the African market with it's lower emissions standards and poor fuel.[/QUOTE]

That would be brilliant!

I am not so sure about the BMW lump, I know nothing about them, the experts on here say they are good engines but they are not common in this part of the world.

An Isuzu or Toyota engine in that car would make so much sense in Africa...let's start emailing the guys, they seem to listen to advice...
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2020/07/08 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    That would be brilliant!

I am not so sure about the BMW lump, I know nothing about them, the experts on here say they are good engines but they are not common in this part of the world.

An Isuzu or Toyota engine in that car would make so much sense in Africa...let's start emailing the guys, they seem to listen to advice...
    My concern with the BMW motor is not if it is reliable or not, they have a very good reputation but will they be able to deal with poor quality fuel at the general dealers that many rural people buy their fuel from through out Africa.

In India they could use Tata or Mahindra motors or whatever... ones with proven reliability obviously. It may be a harebrained idea, just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/07/08 at 02:03 PM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    True, just a pity Nissan dropped the ball a bit with their last diesel engine option. The TB42 would have done better, but then Nissan marketing.......!!!
    And spares prices in East Africa are seriously high. Only 1 camp I know of runs them and he used to own the EA dealer network 😂
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1982 Mog 416
    1980 FJ45 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu)
    1958 series 2 (Betty)
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

Fontuin, high pressure common rail diesels are used by everybody now, the poor quality diesel will affect all brands and makes.
    Percivamus

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Fontuin, high pressure common rail diesels are used by everybody now, the poor quality diesel will affect all brands and makes.
    Yup I've been through a Navara, Hi Lux D4D and onto an Amarok.
    All my egg carrier's have given trouble with fuel pumps and injectors. Now I basically run them 30k and flog them.
    Tiring but cost effective.
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1982 Mog 416
    1980 FJ45 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu)
    1958 series 2 (Betty)
    Amarok (platcar to fetch eggs)

Self made nilionaire

Default Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post

I do get a sense that for certain applications, users are getting to the point where "technology" is becoming too much for many. I certainly hope that is the case and that manufacturers will start realising that putting in extra complications just for the sake of doing it, does not always cut it. Anyway, will be interesting to see how things pan out.
    The problem that exists in new vehicles especially high end ones with lots of electricary is that the electronic components and programs evolve too fast for the mechanical stuff, so in a couple of years you end up with a vehicle that is mechanically sound cause it was built like a brick s$&@ house but some electronic issue makes it economically unrepairable because no one has the know how or parts at a reasonable price to fix it.

We already have examples, try fixing a S Class Merc or 7 Series BMW from circa 1990 with some electronic glitch in the engine management, at a price that is not 60% plus of the market value of the vehicle.

I suspect very few of the vehicles made after complicated ecu's have become mainstream will become sought after classics for this exact reason.

No SL from the 90's plus will never become a Gullwing or Pagoda. Aircooled Porsches became sought after 20 years after they were discontinued. 996 Porsches have not nearly reached that status.

Maybe I will eat my words someday.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2020/07/08 at 04:33 PM.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

All nissan dealers in East Africa sell the y61 in 3.0 diesel and 4.8 petrol

Nissan has also lost the plot with the Patrol, the current ones are no longer purposefully designed off road vehicles, these days they are full of tech, aimed at the rich Arabs in the Middle East who use them to play on the dunes. I'm sure that V8 Petrol is so heavy on juice you need to own an oilfield to run them.
    Duster 4wd (Jeep lite)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    Nissan has also lost the plot with the Patrol, the current ones are no longer purposefully designed off road vehicles, these days they are full of tech, aimed at the rich Arabs in the Middle East who use them to play on the dunes. I'm sure that V8 Petrol is so heavy on juice you need to own an oilfield to run them.
    Same as all Land Rovers.
    Percivamus

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

here's a thought with the BMW motors in Europe and Toyota or Isuzu in Africa.

As far as I remember Toyota and BMW is already in a long term partnership to share diesel engine as well as hybrid engine technology.
    What if they essentially use the same engine bass, but in EU call it BMW and in AF Toyota, also spec it differently to adhere to EU emission regulations and AF fuel limitations.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

They are more economical than Toyotas V8 D4d, even when towing in comparison road test done.

Please Grenadier dont put a Toyota diesel engine in, we need power, not a massive gutless thirsty overweight engine
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    They are more economical than Toyotas V8 D4d, even when towing in comparison road test done.

Please Grenadier dont put a Toyota diesel engine in, we need power, not a massive gutless thirsty overweight engine
    Have to agree.
    Percivamus

Die 5.6 is baie baie ligter op petrol as die 4.8.
    Die 4.8 ligter as die 4.5. 4.5 is ligter as die 4.2.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Default Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

I'm sure that V8 Petrol is so heavy on juice you need to own an oilfield to run them.
    I alway find it funny how people just assume the above... and then state that they are “sure”... Even professionals who reviewed it.

When they actually compared it to a well known and revered competitor and actually tested its consumption ... they were shocked

You actually hear the jaws drop at the results

But all of this is officially off topic
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/07/09 at 06:00 AM.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I alway find it funny how people just assume the above... and then state that they are “sure”... Even professionals who reviewed it.

When they actually compared it to a well known and revered competitor and actually tested its consumption ... they were shocked

You actually hear the jaws drop at the results

But all of this is officially off topic
    I also suspect in real life persistent use it's hard for. 5.6 V8 petrol to drink less fuel.than a 4.5 V8 diesel. But perhaps they could be close.

I've also seen some people state that the 4.6 V8 LC200 drinks near the same as the 4.5 d4d but I know a few owners of the 4.6 and from what they say it's very very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    I also suspect in real life persistent use it's hard for. 5.6 V8 petrol to drink less fuel.than a 4.5 V8 diesel. But perhaps they could be close.

I've also seen some people state that the 4.6 V8 LC200 drinks near the same as the 4.5 d4d but I know a few owners of the 4.6 and from what they say it's very very unlikely.
    That is the mistake people make, you cannot compare the 4.6 v8 to the 5.6v8..

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast