Ineos Grenadier revealed!! - Page 5

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    I recon someone who manufactures tractor diffs knows a thing or two about building strong axles that have to pull heavy loads all day long.

Based on the design philosophy of the vehicle, I'd be surprised and somewhat disappointed if the axles were not fully floating.
    100%, I would imagine that is completely expected as a norm..
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    100%, I would imagine that is completely expected as a norm..
    I like a full floating axle as well, but the jury seems to be out as to which one is better. Both Toyota and Nissan have used both on the Cruisers and Patrols and there don't seem to be a real winner. In terms of strength that is. As for ease of maintenance and repair, the FF is a clear winner in my book.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

They don't hide the fact that they've copied some of the great off-roaders such as Jeep.. which is a good thing.

An improvement over the Defender suspension is the use of upper and lower leading arms, like a Jeep wrangler, instead of radius arms in the front.
    The radius Arm design is actually a better option for off roading than a short 4 link control Arm design.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Totally agree. No brainer. Grenadier wins hands down.
    If thinking in a brain dead type of way yes.

One is a 21st century Land Rover and the other is a wannabe lookalike
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    One is a 21st century Land Rover ...
    That's the problem.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The radius Arm design is actually a better option for off roading than a short 4 link control Arm design.
    Apoc convinced me otherwise. Up for debate I guess.

Either way, it's not the luxury sedan suspension as found n the New Defender.

That's the problem.
    Totally understandable, but that's not a manufacturer problem, but a consumer change management problem. They seemingly made a great product that will appeal to many more than just the old Defender brigade. The old Defender brigade (of which I was one), will have to get with the times.

Anyway, this thread is about the Grenadier. Nice vehicle, but I've got my doubts about how good it'll do in the market.
    Last edited by George; 2020/07/02 at 03:12 PM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

... The old Defender brigade (of which I was one), will have to get with the times.
    ...and buy a Grenadier?
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/07/02 at 03:18 PM.

...and buy a Grenadier?
    If they're happy to move away from Land Rover, yes by all means. I would honestly then rather go 76 series Cruiser.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I like a full floating axle as well, but the jury seems to be out as to which one is better. Both Toyota and Nissan have used both on the Cruisers and Patrols and there don't seem to be a real winner. In terms of strength that is. As for ease of maintenance and repair, the FF is a clear winner in my book.
    Absolutely, at least you wont lose a wheel if the sideshaft breaks while you are crossing the great Serengeti at pace with a pride of Lions considering you an afterdinner mint at full sprint...

.....wait though, now that I think of it... it's not a Defender, so it won't break sideshafts...
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2020/07/02 at 03:53 PM.
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

If they're happy to move away from Land Rover, yes by all means. I would honestly then rather go 76 series Cruiser.
    Sure... LC 76 is a good alternative.

Yes that's going to be the next big question on a lot of minds.
    You want to replace your old Defender or you always wanted a old type Defender and don't see the new generation as a option.
    Now do you buy this new kid on the block with almost no track record and virtually untested, or do you go tried and tested 70 series Cruiser? Even worse if the 2 have very similar pricing.

It will be interesting to see how the market accepts the Grenadier, when last have we seen a brand new car manufacturer come on to the scene successfully? Except for exotic super car brands, the only one I can think of now is Tesla.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

I like that they talk of doing very open and public testing, inviting people to come along and comment.

As opposed to the super secret, bla bla bla...hidden locations , areal photography, great expectations, best unveiling by far bla bla, Arctic conditions, incredible electrickery of the lesser defender.

There's such a stark difference in the way they are going about this, compared with what the major manufacturers do...kind of from the bottom up , rather than the usual illuminati in the development department telling you what car you need or want ...it makes you want to support the project...

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

I like that they talk of doing very open and public testing, inviting people to come along and comment.

As opposed to the super secret, bla bla bla...hidden locations , areal photography, great expectations, best unveiling by far bla bla, Arctic conditions, incredible electrickery of the lesser defender.

There's such a stark difference in the way they are going about this, compared with what the major manufacturers do...kind of from the bottom up , rather than the usual illuminati in the development department telling you what car you need or want ...it makes you want to support the project...
    It is also possible to register on their website too keep updated. I wonder if there is a platform to give some feedback to them?

I haven't registered myself.

Apoc convinced me otherwise. Up for debate I guess.

Either way, it's not the luxury sedan suspension as found n the New Defender.
    Ask Alex why 90% of serious American wheelers convert to long arm suspension.
    Percivamus

So would I. At least they keep their value not like modern Land Rovers. And they are very seldom cranky.
    Percivamus

The only reason they do that is purely because of our Chinese friends because when they see the styling they copy it and release it to market before the orginal is even on sale. Can't blame Land Rover for that.

The LandWind is a good example.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-revealed.html

Instead of a traditional dealership network, customers will be able to shop online and via a network of existing agricultural and tractor traders, ‘pop-up sites’ at county shows and agricultural and equestrian events, and at off-road experience centres where buyers can try out the vehicles for themselves.
    For repairs and servicing it is planning a ‘flying spanner’ service as well as a partnership with a major international chain of repair centres.
    Now that the covers are off, more than a million miles of testing is planned over the coming year including in South Africa and arctic tundra.
    Ineos Automotive’s chief executive Dirk Heilmann said: ‘From today the covers are off. Showing the design now allows us to focus on the critical next phase of the vehicle’s development, testing its capability and durability.’
    ‘Testing ‘in plain sight’ without the need for camouflage wrapping, foam blocks or fake panels is an added benefit.’
    About 35 per cent of sales will be in North America, 30 per cent in the UK and Europe including Germany, with the remainder across Africa, Asia, Australia and New Zealand.
    This sounds like a business plan inspired by a few rounds of fortified coke at a braai.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

Vir my die heel beste van die voertuig: van alle nuwe voertuie op die horison, lyk dit by verre die meeste na n Land Rover.
    Almal love dit. Behalwe die Land Rover manne.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Vir my die heel beste van die voertuig: van alle nuwe voertuie op die horison, lyk dit by verre die meeste na n Land Rover.
    Almal love dit. Behalwe die Land Rover manne.
    Haha goeie een

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast