Ineos Grenadier revealed!! - Page 8

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

Chemical company
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Why is it mostly the LR fans that are criticizing the vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    I'm not comparing with the Defender, I'm comparing with the New Defender.
    Sorry mate misread you there.
    As far as I'm concerned the Defender name should of died out, this new ones not a Defender.
    Neil Rocher
    1997 2.8i Defender 110 (Fats)
    1996 300 TDI Defender 110 (Aqualung)
    1982 Mog 416
    1971 series 2a 109"
    1968 FJ40 (Piglet)
    1967 series 2a (dugudugu) 88"
    1958 series 2 (Betty) 88"
    1955 series 1 109"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 2.8i rocks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post

As a Land Rover fan , unlike Toyota guys that tell you they buy Toyota because there is an agent in every dorp, that wont faze me , I have never worried about it, to have an agent every few 100 km.
    Koos I have owned some odd vehicles. The likes of G60 Patrols, Unimog, F250 and the Yank Ranger. Living in the Northern Cape it is not an odd thing to travel 250km to have a vehicle serviced while under motor plan and warranty.

On the mentioned vehicles I had spare leed times of several weeks. You don`t just walk into Midas or local spare shops and buy what you need. For the Yank Ranger I had to wait several weeks for something a simple as a head light bulb.Had to drive 250km back home to fetch a used front wheel bearing for the Yank Ranger. Not even Bearingman Upington could help.

I have seen vehicles left behind stranded for weeks. Will rather play safe with a known brand that have a proper dealer network.
    Jan Slabbers story with his F150 and damaged diff stranded for three months in Angola were the wake up call. All that rigmarole of customs, the chance of wrong parts sent and corrupt officials not for me thanks.

How ever I like the rugged solid axle design. Hope the Grenadier is going to be a great success.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post

Net een ding wat pla - die ligte sit te ver uitmekaar uit, vir die res, baie nice!

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Why is it mostly the LR fans that are criticizing the vehicle?
    I don't think it's a matter of criticizing the vehicle as such, but more a matter of pointing out that this is not a Land Rover and shouldn't be regarded as a Defender or its replacement.

It is simply a new design on the market, possibly a very good offroad vehicle, which might be a great alternative to a Defender.
    Last edited by George; 2020/07/06 at 08:51 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ...this is not a Land Rover and shouldn't be regarded as a Defender or it's replacement...

Is it not more of a 'Defender replacement' than the 'New Defender'? It fits the same niche that the old defender occupied.

Also the fact that it's not a LR is actually a good point to many of us...

Best of both worlds: the rugged looks and capability of the old Defender but with (possibly, hopefully...as yet untested, remains to be seen) better quality parts/engines/build etc.

You're 100% correct. It could be an awesome Defender (or Cruiser / G Wagon / what else?) replacement possibility with the overall market not really focusing on those rugged "basic" type vehicles. Perhaps Dirk now needs to create a separate Ineos forum section.
    Last edited by George; 2020/07/06 at 09:04 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    As predicted. They are now playing in a very established market with competitive prices. The old Defender was a niche product but filled that niche solidly for many years. Only the LC70 came close.
    Remember the old defender only sold 17 000 in 2013 and 2014 and 23000 in 2015 as production was going to stop.

Everybody is still checking the new one out to figure out how it is if they have 11 000 pre orders it will surpass the old one very soon.

It is also in a higher price bracket so sales will be less.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ales-by-model/
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way;

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Remember the old defender only sold 17 000 in 2013 and 2014 and 23000 in 2015 as production was going to stop.

Everybody is still checking the new one out to figure out how it is if they have 11 000 pre orders it will surpass the old one very soon.

It is also in a higher price bracket so sales will be less.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ales-by-model/
    Yes and their margin is probably higher on this vehicle as well. The old Defender was very costly to produce.

Given they would need to sell a few to justify the R&D though but time will tell because world is still a little messed up. I was going to trade our Sport in on one but my income has also taken a knock so sticking with our cars for awhile.

I'm sure there are others like me as well so the reduced sales is not a reflection on the car in my opinion.
    Last edited by Byron; 2020/07/06 at 09:24 AM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    Is it not more of a 'Defender replacement' than the 'New Defender'? It fits the same niche that the old defender occupied.

Best of both worlds: the rugged looks and capability of the old Defender but with (possibly, hopefully...as yet untested, remains to be seen) better quality parts/engines/build etc.
    Many of us drove Defenders, not Land Rovers.

Imagine a Defender but without having to deal with all the hassle that comes with buying a Land Rover.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

Will I ever buy the new 2020 LR Defender? No - it is not a UV anymore like the old Defender as it is a version of the other SUV LR models. Also certainly too expensive for me.

Will I buy the Grenadier? Yes if it lives up to the promises ...and the price is right. But I will never sell any of our two tdi's.

Would like to hear the boardroom talking at JLR after pics release of the Grenadier. Ineos / Grenadier planted JLR a kick right in the #*lls!

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    I've spent some time in the new Touareg and the new Defender is not in the same class.

I also thought ithe new defender would be in that lux suv class but it's not.

I think pricing is going to be the issue that will determine sales.

There is a market for both and in the long run the new Defender will have a cult following.

Some interesting days ahead.
    personally I think the new defender is comparable to a T1 first generation touareg with terrain tech ( center and rear diff lock, spare on the back) with some modern displays and some few extra camera's.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    personally I think the new defender is comparable to a T1 first generation touareg with terrain tech ( center and rear diff lock, spare on the back) with some modern displays and some few extra camera's.
    Yip. Which is a great vehicle, but it's not the old defender, which could be a good or bad thing, depending on what you're after.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post

If this is true, then there is no hope. I dont see a farmer trading his workhorse abused Defender worth R150k in on a R700k workhorse super strong (claimed) just to drive his fences.

The same reason the new Defender is aimed at a different market now, even LR also realised this.

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post
    If this is true, then there is no hope. I dont see a farmer trading his workhorse abused Defender worth R150k in on a R700k workhorse super strong (claimed) just to drive his fences.

The same reason the new Defender is aimed at a different market now, even LR also realised this.
    So why do farmers do this then with Hiluxes/Isuzus/Rangers etc?

I don't understand your reasoning.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by m0lt3n View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    So why do farmers do this then with Hiluxes/Isuzus/Rangers etc?

I don't understand your reasoning.
    Both of you mean the farmers old Land Cruiser on a new Land Cruiser, to run fences... If you still drive an old R150k Land Rover, as a farmer, then you are in the wrong country..

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Just watched the Auto Express video of the Grenadier, love the rubber strip feature on the door, that can move downwards onto that squares you see , to hook on appliances or tools or some camping gear.
    Like when vehicles are designed with things like this in mind.
    I will still prefer the back door as the current D3 or D4 setup , as someone mentioned here before instead of the 70/30 split barn door
    The video also mentions that 24 hrs before JRL released their intentions of the commercial version of the new Defender, and they think that the commercial versions will undercut the prices of the Grenadier
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    Love it! Why couldn't LR have made this
    Because it can't and won't sell in volumes.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sed View Post
    I love it!
    Old defender 110 looks better to me. They should not have copied the defender. Now grenadier drivers will be defender wannabes.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast