Ineos Grenadier revealed!! - Page 4

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    I see news 24 states the inspiration comes from the Willys Jeep and is instantly recognizable ...
    D-Tox, see you have a "Defender 90 for sale" signature, but the link is dead. Perhaps time to remove that signature.

Inspiration from Willys? That is a bit fresh :-).
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

I think they will aim for Cruiser 70 pricing since at least in Africa, that will be its closest competitor by the sounds of it.
    Too cheap and it will be slated as being a bad vehicle, something cheap can't be good, that is simply human nature.
    And if you see what people are willing to pay for vehicles these days, I also won't be surprised if they go high.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    I have only read about the inline six BMW engines, I have seen a video of the factory regarding the chassis and suspension which is just good old been done stuff on video, nothing overtly remarkable, I note no electronics on the suspension, which is great, what I have not seen is axle information, ie what type etc etc, full floating rear, semi floating rear??

Noted she has swaybars, but no electronics, so is there a swaybar disconnect feature, is it purely mechanical??

Difflocks, any??, electricc, manual mechanical, air, auto??

would love to know more, if you have data or links, please share..
    You said unknown.

Not everything has been revealed, but hardly unknown.

You yourself have mentioned some information. There are 4 or so videos, watch them all there is some more info there.

Live Carraro axles front and rear, ZF or Aisin gearboxes, BMW motors, diff locks all round.... we know enough to know that the basic design makes for a good off-road workhorse.

As long as they implement it well.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/07/02 at 11:35 AM.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

I doubt the vehicle exists at all yet. All I see are computer generated images

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I think they will aim for Cruiser 70 pricing since at least in Africa, that will be its closest competitor by the sounds of it.
    https://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_a...als-20200701-4

Wheels24 don't even have the LC 70 on the list of competitors. The New Defender is there. Shows you what motoring journalists know...

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I doubt the vehicle exists at all yet. All I see are computer generated images
    The white one on their web page, look carefully at the front axle. Its a square tube with welded blocks on each end supporting the wheels. This must just be a scale model for body design and proportions.

Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad

Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClaudeG For This Useful Post:

This article mentions ZF autotrans if I am not mistaken.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...grenadier-2021

What i never liked about Defenders was the seating position (I am sure whoever designed it also had some interests in a chiropractice clinic) and the fact that my friends who own them are always busy fixing and rectifying something.

If this has a decent front seat and is well put together, than it's definitey an LC competitor.

They have been so open and upfront about the whole process: it makes LR's secrecy and hype over the Nw Defender really look ridiculous, with their 'We know better' attitude.

Of course it's one thing being good on a screen rendering...it will have to prove itself.

I really like the idea behind it. It's not often you get a newcomer in the car industry (apart from the 'East'). Very refreshing.

This one for the worker/overlander and the New Defender for the Metromum/interior designer crowd. Everyone's happy!
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2020/07/02 at 11:47 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

mvw

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    https://www.wheels24.co.za/OffRoad_a...als-20200701-4

Wheels24 don't even have the LC 70 on the list of competitors. The New Defender is there. Shows you what motoring journalists know...

This will compete with the new Defender as much as a Porsche competes with a Polo. Ok not quite, but this thing will be in Cruiser and Patrol circles, no soft or fancy bakkies or SUV's, it will be a functional vehicle not a flashy one.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/07/02 at 12:07 PM.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    You said unknown.

Not everything has been revealed, but hardly unknown.

You yourself have mentioned some information. There are 4 or so videos, watch them all there is some more info there.

Live Carraro axles front and rear, ZF or Aisin gearboxes, BMW motors, diff locks all round.... we know enough to know that the basic design makes for a good off-road workhorse.

As long as they implement it well.
    100%, I stand corrected then Fontuin, thank you for the feedback and yes I am guilty of not looking at all the video's...

However..

Carraro is just a name representing industrial (mostly farming) axle manufacture, doubt it would be those going in, I imagine a downscaled version thereof, so which, and how good, and what configuration in the rear, floating (best) or semi (just about everything in SA), except for the new cruiser and old Defender, and maybe one or two I missed....??

Dana axles are well known, they can be crap, and they can be great, it depends what goes in, is it a 33, or a 60, that is the reference I am looking for, not just a pretty picture of a pretty Defender clone to placate the frustrations of millions of brand and model fanatics we very clearly know exist given our own love /hate/hate/hate/hate feedback of the new Defender replacement, untested in our own hands, yet seemingly judged so deeply by many..

No I am not purchasing the new one, if anyone should think that is what I am aiming at, happy with what I have, and corona mixed with government mixed with bee handed out with a great rate of stupidity is ensuring I will probably run to the end of my existence on this spinning ball with what I have currently parked in the garage, unless some criminal type with the right BEE ratio type takes it from me as an export deal to Moz or another well run African destination.....

What t/case, what ratio, is it open or closed, mechanical or electronic..

Ok, so I think you see I like information proper technical, proven to work, if its thicker its better type stuff..

I'll wait for more info when (or if) it comes, but thank you, I must admit the chassis looks like the bulls nuts.. genuine....
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2020/07/02 at 12:28 PM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

Marco, I have said it before , but please continue writing. Whether you make sense or not! I just love your writing style, especially the little note about well run African countries!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    The white one on their web page, look carefully at the front axle. Its a square tube with welded blocks on each end supporting the wheels. This must just be a scale model for body design and proportions.
    Agreed,

The video of the chassis was a nice to see, all the correct shiny bits, looks damn strong, well edited to keep things plumb, but sure as hell could have been a Jeep Wrangler underside for what it is worth..
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    ... Whether you make sense or not!
    Damn, am I being confusing again, or still..??
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Marcochezzi For This Useful Post:

Agreed,

The video of the chassis was a nice to see, all the correct shiny bits, looks damn strong, well edited to keep things plumb, but sure as hell could have been a Jeep Wrangler underside for what it is worth..
    They don't hide the fact that they've copied some of the great off-roaders such as Jeep.. which is a good thing.

An improvement over the Defender suspension is the use of upper and lower leading arms, like a Jeep wrangler, instead of radius arms in the front.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Carraro is just a name representing industrial (mostly farming) axle manufacture, doubt it would be those going in, I imagine a downscaled version thereof, so which, and how good, and what configuration in the rear, floating (best) or semi (just about everything in SA), except for the new cruiser and old Defender, and maybe one or two I missed....??
    I recon someone who manufactures tractor diffs knows a thing or two about building strong axles that have to pull heavy loads all day long.

Based on the design philosophy of the vehicle, I'd be surprised and somewhat disappointed if the axles were not fully floating.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Marco, I have said it before , but please continue writing. Whether you make sense or not! I just love your writing style, especially the little note about well run African countries!
    Absolutely, he needs his own thread where he can post a daily humorous take on things ... witty content and clever wording.

Or just post more often...

Tell you what, if someone forced me to own one, I wouldn’t cry into my beer...
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    Sorted for camping away from the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by JBX View Post
    Just hope they do not get locked into some design copy battle in court.
    They've already been to court.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/j...iffe-mls3p8xcp
    Last edited by jhugo; 2020/07/02 at 01:32 PM.

Default Ineos Grenadier revealed!!

Name:  Adjustments.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  80.0 KB
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/07/02 at 02:11 PM.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Flip Marais View Post
    Tell you what, if someone forced me to own one, I wouldn’t cry into my beer...
    I'd take it open arms, hell I'd even pay for the beer..!!
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast