Elephants dying in huge numbers ? - Page 5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Elephants dying in huge numbers ?

Is it true or is a bad fake news ??

Dears Members,
    I've received this mail from an american petition site....
    I can't believe it's true, what do you thin about ??

Maurizio,
    People love elephants. And why wouldn't we? They're majestic, intelligent, social creatures who babysit each other's young and mourn the loss of loved ones. Unfortunately, they're slowly slipping away from this planet. As of this moment, only around 415,000 elephants are left alive on the whole entire continent of Africa. This makes it even more shocking and heartbreaking to learn that the government of Botswana purposefully poisoned and killed 350 of them.
    The elephants were reportedly killed because they had destroyed a community's crops, posssibly forcing humans to go hungry. That is certainly alarming, but there are other ways to deal with this problem. The elephants were not maliciously targeting humans' food or trying to trample them. Many other countries and regions have found peaceful ways to coexist with wildlife, and solutions range from constructing fences to installing automatically-triggered noises and speakers. Murdering some of the few remaining elephant is not an acceptable solution. Sign the petition to urge the government of Botswana work with conservationists to protect elephants' lives, and to find a better way to protect crops!
    Thank you for all that you do,
    P.S. We shouldn't punish elephants for simply living especially when their population is already declining so rapidly. Sign the petition to speak out.

Maurizio

U can leave Africa... but she'll never leave u

Quote Originally Posted by MAURITALY View Post

Dears Members,

Maurizio,
    People love elephants. And why wouldn't we? They're majestic, intelligent, social creatures who babysit each other's young and mourn the loss of loved ones. Unfortunately, they're slowly slipping away from this planet. As of this moment, only around 415,000 elephants are left alive on the whole entire continent of Africa. This makes it even more shocking and heartbreaking to learn that the government of Botswana purposefully poisoned and killed 350 of them.
    The elephants were reportedly killed because they had destroyed a community's crops, posssibly forcing humans to go hungry. That is certainly alarming, but there are other ways to deal with this problem. The elephants were not maliciously targeting humans' food or trying to trample them. Many other countries and regions have found peaceful ways to coexist with wildlife, and solutions range from constructing fences to installing automatically-triggered noises and speakers. Murdering some of the few remaining elephant is not an acceptable solution. Sign the petition to urge the government of Botswana work with conservationists to protect elephants' lives, and to find a better way to protect crops!
    P.S. We shouldn't punish elephants for simply living especially when their population is already declining so rapidly. Sign the petition to speak out.

What a load of RUBBISH!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAURITALY View Post

Dears Members,

Maurizio,

I guess they are anti culling / number management, which is desperately necessary?
    Mike Lauterbach

I received the same petition. Never misculculate man. I hope Im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac View Post
    Overpopulation = habitat destruction = culling allowed, too little too late = starvation. (Environmental culling... like C 19)
    Sorry Zac but you don't know what you are talking about. Your statement is true but elephant would probably be the last to die from starvation and in an area with abundant food it seems like starvation would not be the cause.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hylton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Betta View Post
    I received the same petition. Never misculculate man. I hope Im wrong.
    From day 1 I have been concerned it was poison but could not understand why elephant only died. Have the results ever been released from the samples taken.

Post Re: Elephants dying in huge numbers ?

Name:  IMG-20200807-WA0006.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  46.0 KB
    Here is the latest official communication from the Botswana Government. Onderstepoort has analysed samples, and the results are explained in the attached document, but the Onderstepoort Pathology Dept can neither reveal nor duscuss anything more due to client confidentiality.
    Last edited by GurnageSA; 2020/08/08 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Spelling error

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GurnageSA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    Sorry Zac but you don't know what you are talking about. Your statement is true but elephant would probably be the last to die from starvation and in an area with abundant food it seems like starvation would not be the cause.

This was explained before ,but somehow those who claim that there are too many elephants and that major culling measures are needed for, hold on to this and are using the 'starvation' theory as further evidence to prove their case.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    This was explained before ,but somehow those who claim that there are too many elephants and that major culling measures are needed for, hold on to this and are using the 'starvation' theory as further evidence to prove their case.
    "Claim"? There is plenty of evidence from experts proving the excess of ellies in this area. It's pretty clear to amateurs as well looking at the destruction of the natural habitat by them. Starvation was one theory, again by experts.

Wildlife numbers need to be managed in restricted areas. And this includes elephant numbers.
    Mike Lauterbach

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Well, the document in post #87 says fairly clearly that starvation and under nutrition has been ruled out. And no new deaths has been recorded.

Naturally occuring toxins, which has been my bet from the beginning, is still being investigated.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Well, the document in post #87 says fairly clearly that starvation and under nutrition has been ruled out. And no new deaths has been recorded.

Naturally occuring toxins, which has been my bet from the beginning, is still being investigated.
    The way I understood the "starvation" was that as their natural food gets less they are forced to eat less desirable food, which could include toxins.
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    The way I understood the "starvation" was that as their natural food gets less they are forced to eat less desirable food, which could include toxins.
    Not necessarily true. Often when coming out of a drought period like we had, some of these plants that they normally won't eat in large numbers is the first to go green while the rest are still dry and unpalatable. Animals then eat them in larger quantities than what they should resulting in a poison or sometimes even a compaction effect in the intestine. Similar was seen in the Kalahari this year where zebra died in deaths not dissimilar to what was observed with the elephants in Botswana.

Quote Originally Posted by tashtego9 View Post
    The fact that the elephants did not die from starvation doesn't mean that there are no areas with an over population of elephants requiring management

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    The fact that the elephants did not die from starvation doesn't mean that there are no areas with an over population of elephants requiring management
    Yes, but it seems to have become a political issue, like face masks in the US.

Those who are in favour of a more aggressive elephant management regime are promoting the starvation theory, as it fits nicely into the narrative that there are too many elephants in Botswana. Which maybe there are. I don't know, I have read around the issue a bit and I am not convinced. The figures given by government and those given by Conservationists are very different and the opinions of the so called 'experts' vary widely.

It's like when, on a really cold morning, my neighbour, who does't buy into climate change, leans over the fence and grins at me...what better proof that global warming is a hoax than an unusually cold day?

We are very tuned into our own personal biases and anything that happens is read through our pre-existing convictions.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/08/09 at 10:37 PM.
    Kobus

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

It is a huge heap of Bull Dust....

Currently proven that is was not culling or poisoning (by humans). It is in one area and very random, possibly due to them eating toxic plants.

Plants thought to have gone toxic (natural process) to [protect themselves during the ongoing drought. It must be emphasized that this last theory is currently pure speculation as no other cause can be found at the labs testing for the cause.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Anyone have any ideas of the causes ?
    Tests have been done at various labs, but nothing conclusive has been found. Not Anthrax and no obvious human poisoning. No other animals/birds have been affected. The conclusion is possibly some localised vegetation poisoning, but no-one is saying for sure.

Some update on information:
    It appears that toxins produced by cyanobacteria under certain conditions as cause in accordance to the BW vet officer.

Some details here:
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...095205049.html
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Some update on information:
    It appears that toxins produced by cyanobacteria under certain conditions as cause in accordance to the BW vet officer.

Some details here:
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...095205049.html
    Just saw on here as well:

https://www.facebook.com/48047015202...4oV1YFE3h3&d=n
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart will always beat to an African drum...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Botswana maak oorsaak van olifantsterftes bekend https://maroelamedia.co.za/nuus/sa-n...erftes-bekend/

Interesting that elephants were susceptable because they drink from deeper water compared to other species
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast