Camping Shower and Pump - Page 5

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Camping Shower and Pump

When drinking water is not readily available in remote areas it can be a problem. Its a known fact that you must cater at least 2l of plain drinking water per person per day. The larger the party the bigger the problem. Water containers are bulky stuff and sometimes empty. I resorted to a filter system and also 2l bottles they fit in the smallest of spaces and its strong. I try to reduce the use of 20l containers. Also use fold up containers. For 12v I use a jump starter
    Last edited by bertus; 2020/07/08 at 07:15 PM.

Yes true. We lucky that we have lots of space so we normally also carry cases of bottled water. The drinking water in the containers is used for things like making coffee
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

My home built shower - keep it simple! (see attached .doc)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6015.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	579102   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6016.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	119.0 KB 
ID:	579103   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6017.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	579104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6018.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	579105  
    Attached Files Attached Files

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StephenT For This Useful Post:

Another photo
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by StephenT View Post
    My home built shower - keep it simple! (see attached .doc)
    Stephen, brilliant Geyser. Just a question, why not add a cone lid on top with a 20 to 30mm exhaust hole. Then you won't be burning up so much gas and wasting heat ie almost like a pressure cooker but with a hole in the lid ie more remaining heat in cylinder before being exhausted out so to speak.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Good day Hunter26, Thanks for the idea - valued! After it worked, I just moved on...Ö. Maybe next Lockdown :^(( I will have a look to improvise a Damper in order to reduce the flue (choke it a bit).Go well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to StephenT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    For the Best Shower with no fear of Break down far off the Beaten Track and costs NOTHING is 2 x 2 litre plastic Coke Bottles where tiny holes are drilled into the caps at home before the trip. At camp in say Central Kalahari ..fill each bottle half way with water from the Kettle on the fire . Top up with normal temp water ..1st Bottle ..soap up ..2nd bottle rinse off ..Done ..best shower you will ever have standing next to your vehicle .. My wife and I are in our late 60's and love our 'fancy' shower
    I can only agree
    KISS
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus RDW View Post
    I took a 2m x I think 6mm copper tube. Coiled it to fit inside my alu kettle with 2 points sticking out. One side cold water in from 12v submersible pump and hot water out to small handheld shower head with ball valve.
    Fill kettle with water and put on cadac burner. Circulate water through copper pipe once kettle is warm. Use very little space, only pump and piped is exstra. Fit in one hand.
    Thanks, great idea
    LC 105 EFI
    BL 1003 Boskriek

Back when I still had my Jeep, I fitted one of these heat exchangers into the engine cooling system. The in/out lines then came to quick release fittings on the bumper.

So long as the engine is hot and running, you can pump water from tank/can/river/bucket/whatever through the heat exchanger and into a showerhead.

Super simple. Yes, the engine needs to be up to temp and running, not perfect, but just plan your shower times carefully.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	close-up-view-of-a-plate-type-heat-exchanger.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	579185
    Last edited by cainslie; 2020/07/10 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Forgot image
    Chris
    ZS5CMA
    '17 Hilux 2.8GD-6 D/C 4x4 A/T

Some innovative heating methods shown here. I agree with the KISS methods though, especially preheating shower water into some container and then showering from that using a pump or gravity. This way you know exactly how much water you are using, without any wastage.

Most shower methods via heating coils etc waste water until the right temperature is found, and then it's difficult to reduce the flow rate, if necessary, eg for soaping in, and then keeping the water temp constant. And it's not easy to limit water volume to say 3 litres per person when drawing directly from a tank. These automated shower methods are great if you have an unlimited water source like a dam or river.

It's difficult to beat a shower bag with water of the right temperature, with tap for flow rate, or a container of preheated water with a small pump which can be switched on and off.

In my camper I have a diesel heater, tap mixer for the right temperature and shower head. But we do not use this as it uses too much water by the time you get the right temp. We use the heater to preheat the water into a bucket, and then use a pump in this bucket for showering with a switch for on and off, as there is not enough height for a shower bag above. This way we know that both of us can shower comfortable using only 5l of water.
    Mike Lauterbach

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

We have been overlanding for loooong time and if u go into a park for some time, volume and weight wood and water are huge matters and overweight overlanding vehicles also, especially if u do not trailer.

We use a backpacing shower most times and it is black and 10l cap. So we plan a bit and get it hot in the sun between game drives and both shower well with about 6 liters water about total. We drive without trailer and prefer the style. If ### happens and rain or whatever, use gas to boil water and bit more effort, but this is rare. Also when we wash hair we plan more. Or we feel like more pamper.

Have kept optimizing comfort and mass for a decade plus.

We play around also with a piet fluit on our fire, which is kept modestly sizes, when occasion warrants. Also we often game drive near sunset and mix and drink cocktails and/or sundowner - depends - with a motivation to keep clean and also have fun out there. Falling is part of it. Admit that trailer adds something to how much you carry but not for us.

Our good friends do trailer and we sometimes benefit but do not rely on it as we often overland alone.

Horses for courses. Interesting thread.

Good friends trailer out there and carry more water but that is OK as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    This works for me in the sticks..... Just shorten the nozzle pipe, half fill with cold water and add some hot water to get the temperature right.
    Might not quite be what the OP is after and it involves pre-heating water in some way.

But it is very water efficient. I (being female) shower and wash my hair in 3,5 L. Just a shower is 2 - 2,5L.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

16. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Referring to my comment in #45, photo regarding our setup.
    The shower head has a tap that you can adjust the flow of the water with.
    We set the water temp on the geyser.
    The plastic pipe is unplugged when the door is closed and we travel

We only operate the geyser with the side door open.
    The hot water can also be directed to the basin taps at the back of the BL Kewer
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Ek het ook die Totai 5L gas geyser oorweeg vir R1795, want ek het reeds water tenk, gas en 12V water pomp op trailer, maar sy gas verbruik van 1.26kg per uur is vir my hoog. Ek ry 'n totaal van 8kg gas saam.

Name:	Totai 5L gas geyser.png 
Views:	138 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	579863
    https://ecodepot.co.za/products/tota...BoCMTEQAvD_BwE

Het iemand ondervinding van die Alva Portable water heater. Dis bietjie duurder teen R2195, maar kom met sy eie water pomp, en ek sien sy verbruik is slegs 287 gram per uur wat vir my meer sin maak.

Name:	Alva portable gas heater.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	579864
    https://ecodepot.co.za/products/alva...RoCPfMQAvD_BwE

Ek besef ook dat hie Alva baie minder warm water gaan lewer as die Totai, maar mens gebruik mos maar wat beskikbaar is en as dit voldoende is dan maak hy vir my meer sin. Sal dus graag wil hoor van mense wat dit besit, of weet waar ek dit kan toets in Kaap omgewing, want Ecodepot hou nie voorraad aam nie so mens kan nie by hulle gaan demo nie.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B
    -----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    Ek het ook die Totai 5L gas geyser oorweeg vir R1795, want ek het reeds water tenk, gas en 12V water pomp op trailer, maar sy gas verbruik van 1.26kg per uur is vir my hoog. Ek ry 'n totaal van 8kg gas saam. .
    Ek aanvaar daai verbruik is by maximum hitte. Ek sien ander soortgelyke geysers se verbruik is bietjie minder.

Ons doen n 2 weke trip met 3 kg gas maklik. 2 plaat gas stoof en soortgelyke 5l geyser.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/07/14 at 09:42 AM.
    Johan Kriel

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Has anyone thought of making a small version of the donkey boiler. Same as those that were put into houses and one used newspaper rolled into balls or small pieces of wood for the fire to heat up the water instead of the gas guzzling portable geysers. Just asking.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    Having to make a fire first was my main gripe also when you want to leave early morning, and where do you pack away that dirty jerrycan them?
    We use the bundu shower from http://bundushowers.com. Very compact, and itís cool enough to handle by the time you are dressed. I paired it with a 3.8L/m shurflo pump. We get away with using 5L of water per person if you close the taps between soaking and rinsing.
    And itís proudly made here in SA!

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    Ek het ook die Totai 5L gas geyser oorweeg vir R1795, want ek het reeds water tenk, gas en 12V water pomp op trailer, maar sy gas verbruik van 1.26kg per uur is vir my hoog. Ek ry 'n totaal van 8kg gas saam.
    Hoeveel water ry jy saam?

Daai uur / 1.26kg gas gee vir jou 300L warm water

Die helfde van jou 8kg gas gee jou 950L warm water........

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Coltmaster For This Useful Post:

Hi all, I made my outdoor shower from 110mm pvc pipe,glued 2 pvc cup ends, glued in plastic tap on one end, pressure valve the
    other end. It takes about 12ltrs water. painted mate black, on the top of canopy, works every well.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eager beaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eager beaver View Post
    Hi all, I made my outdoor shower from 110mm pvc pipe,glued 2 pvc cup ends, glued in plastic tap on one end, pressure valve the
    other end. It takes about 12ltrs water. painted mate black, on the top of canopy, works every well.
    Nice and simple. What do you use to pressurise it?
    Mike Lauterbach

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast