Default Re: Camping Shower and Pump

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3054.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	578583
    This is my shower setup. Can use a pump or gravity to feed water
    That spider monstrosity works and works very well you can burn gas or paraffin equally well.
    Only draw back it is a bit cumbersome to lugg around and a bit of a schlep to use
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    That spider monstrosity works and works very well you can burn gas or paraffin equally well.
    Only draw back it is a bit cumbersome to lugg around and a bit of a schlep to use
    Not really a shlep to take around for me. Unscrew the shower head pipe, the legs. Place on roofrack. Worked nice in botswana many years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3054.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	578583
    This is my shower setup. Can use a pump or gravity to feed water
    Wow, what a clever setup with the "mixing" taps.
    Is there anything inside the big tube above the burner, or is it just a reservoir with inlet at bottom and outlet at the top?

We have 6L Dewhot gas geyser fed by 8L 12V pump and 105 L water tank.

Using a shower head with very small holes with a valve at the shower head and hose pipe that connect to the side of the van.

It works very well.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by MarioH View Post
    Is there anything inside the big tube above the burner, or is it just a reservoir with inlet at bottom and outlet at the top?
    Usually it is a double tube with some spiral winding inside to force the water to travel a longer way and thus have better heat exchange but I have seen some models with a spiral pipe on the inside. Both work equally well and are probably more economical on fuel than the flow through gas geyser. Some of them also have some metal strips on the inside of the tube to force the hot air from the burner to swirl as well
    The flow through geyser's main claim to fame is they work very well and they are as convenient as your house geyser. I am specifically referring to the Dew hot or similar 6l/min gas geysers.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarioH View Post
    My setup works as follows: the tube consists of two stainless pipes welded together to form a tube. The water runs in between the two pipes. The middle is just an open tube where the gass flame heats the water.

The bottom tap is then for warm water and the top tap for cold water. If the flow is not too fast, you can have a nice hot shower. Even have to open the cold tap to cool it down.

In the bush where we have water available I just hang a 20liter drum somewhere and let it feed with gravity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

I took a 2m x I think 6mm copper tube. Coiled it to fit inside my alu kettle with 2 points sticking out. One side cold water in from 12v submersible pump and hot water out to small handheld shower head with ball valve.
    Fill kettle with water and put on cadac burner. Circulate water through copper pipe once kettle is warm. Use very little space, only pump and piped is exstra. Fit in one hand.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobus RDW For This Useful Post:

Hi

Am I the only one who still fills two aluminium 10l pots? Warm it on gas stove, Tracy takes the one, fills one hand held fold-able washing bucket fills half with cold water and rinse off?
    This has been working for us for a long time, and it really does not take up space. It stores in the space that is always left wondering. Always just the right temp to have a very decent wash. When she is done, my water is ready.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Paul For This Useful Post:

Jeez some of you really put in a lot of effort to have a warm shower. Im one of those lazy campers and therefore want something that takes me a few minutes to set up. Setting up legs and poles that are stored on the roof rack and having to start fires etc is not always practical for me.

So far I still think the best option are those mini gas geysers - light, can be mounted and have the shower heads already fitted. Once set up, all you do is swing it out turn on gas and shower.

Thanks all for the suggestions though. Some really clever ideas.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Have followed with great interest, and is it amazing all of the plans that we will make to have a hot shower. We take a 25l bucket and one of those hand showers that plug into the cigarettes lighter from ODW. In the morning we fill the bucket with available water from the campsites, leave in in the sun the whole day, and then in the afternoon after a drive we will have our hot showers. 25l is plenty for both me and the wife.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post
    Have followed with great interest, and is it amazing all of the plans that we will make to have a hot shower. We take a 25l bucket and one of those hand showers that plug into the cigarettes lighter from ODW. In the morning we fill the bucket with available water from the campsites, leave in in the sun the whole day, and then in the afternoon after a drive we will have our hot showers. 25l is plenty for both me and the wife.

What do you do when you traveling every day? Leave it on the roof rack? And in winter?
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/07 at 08:48 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post
    We do the same but use one of those 8L pressure sprayers. The pump just drops in and we can both shower from the 8L
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Paul View Post
    Hi

Am I the only one who still fills two aluminium 10l pots? Warm it on gas stove, Tracy takes the one, fills one hand held fold-able washing bucket fills half with cold water and rinse off?
    This has been working for us for a long time, and it really does not take up space. It stores in the space that is always left wondering. Always just the right temp to have a very decent wash. When she is done, my water is ready.
    We do roughly the same - See my post #40
    Rudolf Ras
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    We do roughly the same - See my post #40
    Out of curiosity, if the situation does not allow you to plug into 12v, do you have an extension, or what do you do, also this question is for all the others that need access to 12v in order for the shower systems to operate?

Thanks

I have used over the years various methods for showering. Leaving jerry can in the sun or on the roof, or against the fire with a small submersible shower set plugged into the lighter, and one of those contraptions that you haul up a tree with shower head at the bottom, and those black bladders etc.
    They all work, but what is nice about these camp 5 to 6l gas geysers, you open a tap and there is hot water, for shower, washing dishes etc. As said I use a +- 5 l/min @ 30 psi shurflo pump which allows you to set the water flow and temperature as you want on the geyser. These pumps are self priming so the water source can be lower then the geyser.

I still carry a jerry can for either a shower or collecting water, and use a one of these shurflo pump (with a lead from the vehicle's battery) to transfer water to or from the jerry/tank or source.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/07/07 at 06:19 PM.
    Johan Kriel

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

I have 2 camp showers, the Bundu Shower without the pump (yup, the one that was to expensive in an earlier post) and one that looks like a fire extinguisher.

Bundo Shower Pro's:
    1. Made from durable materials and will last for very long.
    2. Packs away into a small bag and takes up very little space.
    3. Lightweight
    4. Height adjustable
    5. Portable
    6. Uses a relatively clean fuel

Bundu Shower Con's
    1. I suppose pricey
    2. Has to be assembled and disassembled
    3. Unable to pause water flow (i.e. make wet, turn-off, make bubbles, turn-on, rinse, repeat). Ok, so this is not entirely true, you can turn-off your water supply but the manufacturer (nice guy!) does not recommend this for 2 reasons 1. You will eventually burn through the copper tubing and 2. The stagnant water that remains in the copper tubing gets super-heated while your applying soap and the water that then comes from the shower head burns with the heat of a thousand suns.....as this is a family forum I can only say that our neighbors thought I was very angry about some or the other harvest (oes). Upside to this is I now know how to dance the fandango
    4. Used it when coastal camping and, with the wind blowing, became rather challenging to regulate the temperature
    5. The shower sounds like it wants to take off and fly to mars. A bit annoying
    6. Doesn't like standing on uneven ground
    Heavy on water and gas. Not ideal if you are out camping for 2 weeks and water is at a premium
    7. External parts can get very hot and will burn like that time you hooked up with Suzy...

Long story short...

IMHO, a kettle for warm water, a big bowl that can be used for more than one purpose, soap and a privy is still the easiest. Until Swambo wants to wash her hair, then it's not.

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeeperCreepers For This Useful Post:

This thread made me ponder about adding taps to the front of my trailer to use to shower. But I would still carry my spider shower if possible so that i can use river water to shower. I dont want to put river water in trailer tanks. But where clean water is available I can fill tanks with that and shower from there

So after following this thread... what would you say are the best brands/models of commercial gas hot water heaters - say 5/6L per minute?

Main factors are:
    - Cost
    - Portable/compact
    - Reliable
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    So after following this thread... what would you say are the best brands/models of commercial gas hot water heaters - say 5/6L per minute?

Main factors are:
    - Cost
    - Portable/compact
    - Reliable
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MATCHES.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	578680   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54889964-2-zoom.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	578681  

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tall Paul For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast