Camping Shower and Pump - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Camping Shower and Pump

Im sure it will be fine.

Its R3080.00 without the pump, R3600 with the pump. This does not include a gas bottle. It is a really nice setup but a bit over priced in my eyes. Maybe Im just cheap
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Im sure it will be fine.

Its R3080.00 without the pump, R3600 with the pump. This does not include a gas bottle. It is a really nice setup but a bit over priced in my eyes. Maybe Im just cheap
    I also looked at the bundu shower never saw one in real life.
    Saw a video of one running sounds like a spitfire when running.
    I am also concerned about the heat around the shower.
    Maybe I am wrong like I said only saw video.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:

I run a 5.5l gas geyser installed in my canopy, water pump permanently connected. When we want to shower, connect the gas and voila.
    NJ Vermaak

Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D | '85 PUCH Geländewagen | Bush Lapa Miskruier 404

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    I run a 5.5l gas geyser installed in my canopy, water pump permanently connected. When we want to shower, connect the gas and voila.

Please share pictures of your instalation.

thank you
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

ok, so basically the geyser is installed permanently, connected to a 60l water tank permanently, I have a gravity feed tap for when I don't need to use the geyser.

When we want to shower/need hot water, I connect the gas bottle, switch on the pump and we're good to go. My canopy carries the tent, so the gas bottle is kept between the jerry cans (two on either side) on the roof. The gas line is long enough so I don't need to take the bottle of the roof.

My pump is installed on the other side of the canopy hidden away in a cavity. Let me know if you need more info/photos, these are the only ones I have on me now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EKBZ7119.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	578000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9649.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	578001  
    NJ Vermaak

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

Must say ASPW shower setup on his troopy is also quite brilliant. very similar to above.

There many of these small camp gas geyser on the market. Some even includes the shower head. All required is a descent pressure pump and gas a bottle, a bit of plumbing, hose and wiring.

https://giveitgas.co.za/product-cate...mping-geysers/
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/07/02 at 01:28 PM.
    Johan Kriel

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    ok, so basically the geyser is installed permanently, connected to a 60l water tank permanently, I have a gravity feed tap for when I don't need to use the geyser.

When we want to shower/need hot water, I connect the gas bottle, switch on the pump and we're good to go. My canopy carries the tent, so the gas bottle is kept between the jerry cans (two on either side) on the roof. The gas line is long enough so I don't need to take the bottle of the roof.

My pump is installed on the other side of the canopy hidden away in a cavity. Let me know if you need more info/photos, these are the only ones I have on me now.

Thats probably what i will do. thank you.

Where does the geyser exhaust to?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Another option I saw a few weeks ago. I don't know how well it works but think it will work fine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200630_184613.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	578011
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/07/03 at 06:01 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

The geyser is installed as far down as possible, so there is a bigger gap at the top. The canopy is left open while the geyser is in use.

I can keep my hand "inside" as far above the geyser as what that gap allows, and it does not burn me. The carpet behind and above the geyser does not get warm.

Saw this on Instagram a while back - very clever, they guy used a TV bracket so geyser can swivel to the outside when in use.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9RjNY_n9Nj/
    NJ Vermaak

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njvermaak For This Useful Post:

The Unimog has a 5.5l gas geyser that can be mounted on either side... one for the outside shower and one for hot water needed when cooking etc. Gas sits on the roofrack with piping and connectors to feed both sides.

Separate 100l water tank with 2x 12v caravan pumps to feed the geyser. Dump into tank. Pack all away into one of the external access bins.

Seperate 20l JoJo on roofrack for quick spalsh after day in the sun.

Then inside shower has hot water when plugged into shore via a 22l, 220v geyser fed from a seperate 100l tank pushed via a Shureflo 12v pump. Cubicle can be used for ‘hand wash’ with kettle water in the basin or cold shower if not plugged into shore.

Planning a re-plumbing to incorporate the gas geyser into the inside shower.

Well all said... I got a little more space... but 2 outside options and an 1 inside option.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mogster For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by fatbike View Post
    For my long term camping I use a system that I built.
    Dewhot 6L geyser
    12v waterpump 8l/min
    120L watertankAttachment 577754
    I do a lot of installations for clients and have done my fair share of research and testing of various systems. The set up above is exactly what I do except my stuff is mostly fixed in the trailer or caravan. The sureflow pump is plumbed in to the water tank and feed the geyser via a tap to the outside. I hang the Dew Hot geyser outside on the trailer/caravan as my old school fears does not let me bring that kind of heat in to an enclosed space. A gas bottle on the ground next to the geyser provides the fuel and if you add a stand pipe with a single pipe and tap on it you have a decent shower.
    I have seen that the geyser does not give piping hot water at full flow and this is used to your advantage. If the tap at the shower head is opened fully the water is warm and the more it restricts the flow the hotter it gets. As far as I am aware the Dew Hot has a temp cut out that will not let the water get above a certain heat for safety reasons.

My experiences with the Kariba was not so lekker. As said you need to run the water in a loop through the unit until it was at shower temp and hope you had the right amount of hot water, as a stove it was also frustrating. My unit was donated to one of the Kruger rangers who sold it.

The Bundu shower works very well and yes it does sound like a baby aeroplane because of the draft created by the flame in the tube. Some have paraffin fire units and the only draw back is that you dont have controll of the flame and can burn yourself if it is lighted too long before using the water.
    On a lighter note do take care of how the plumbing runs The photo below was from a client that brought his trailer in during the week to see if the geyser would work. Installation done by a professional trailer firm
    The two braided hoses are hot and cold to and from the geyser and was supposed to be able to hang the geyser outside but turned out to be too short for the purpose
    The two taps on the outside was supposed to be hot and cold water . For some reason things just did not work the way it was intended

Name:  IMG_20200630_111027s.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  163.9 KB
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/07/06 at 04:00 AM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

I would like to set up a camping shower system. It will be mounted in my canopy. Im guessing it will include, a water tank, pump, gas geyser and obviously the piping and shower head. is there anything else?

Please could you recommend a no hassle setup to be used far off grid.

- What size water pump do I need?
    - What geyser is best? I was looking at something like this : Total Outdoor Gas Geyser with shower set
    https://ecodepot.co.za/products/tota...CABEgK7P_D_BwE

Any other suggestions?

Thank you
    For the Best Shower with no fear of Break down far off the Beaten Track and costs NOTHING is 2 x 2 litre plastic Coke Bottles where tiny holes are drilled into the caps at home before the trip. At camp in say Central Kalahari ..fill each bottle half way with water from the Kettle on the fire . Top up with normal temp water ..1st Bottle ..soap up ..2nd bottle rinse off ..Done ..best shower you will ever have standing next to your vehicle .. My wife and I are in our late 60's and love our 'fancy' shower
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2020/07/06 at 06:22 AM.

23. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    I do a lot of installations for clients and have done my fair share of research and testing of various systems. The set up above is exactly what I do except my stuff is mostly fixed in the trailer or caravan. The sureflow pump is plumbed in to the water tank and feed the geyser via a tap to the outside. I hang the Dew Hot geyser outside on the trailer/caravan as my old school fears does not let me bring that kind of heat in to an enclosed space. A gas bottle on the ground next to the geyser provides the fuel and if you add a stand pipe with a single pipe and tap on it you have a decent shower.
    I have seen that the geyser does not give piping hot water at full flow and this is used to your advantage. If the tap at the shower head is opened fully the water is warm and the more it restricts the flow the hotter it gets. As far as I am aware the Dew Hot has a temp cut out that will not let the water get above a certain heat for safety reasons.

My experiences with the Kariba was not so lekker. As said you need to run the water in a loop through the unit until it was at shower temp and hope you had the right amount of hot water, as a stove it was also frustrating. My unit was donated to one of the Kruger rangers who sold it.

The Bundu shower works very well and yes it does sound like a baby aeroplane because of the draft created by the flame in the tube. Some have paraffin fire units and the only draw back is that you dont have controll of the flame and can burn yourself if it is lighted too long before using the water.
    On a lighter note do take care of how the plumbing runs The photo below was from a client that brought his trailer in during the week to see if the geyser would work. Installation done by a professional trailer firm
    The two braided hoses are hot and cold to and from the geyser and was supposed to be able to hang the geyser outside but turned out to be too short for the purpose
    The two taps on the outside was supposed to be hot and cold water . For some reason things just did not work the way it was intended

That was my whole idea, take a trailer set up and put it in a box

25. The Following User Says Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:

Quite a snazzy mixer tap setup

Quote Originally Posted by Coltmaster View Post
    Quite a snazzy mixer tap setup
    Still baffled by how they got the hot and cold water ti stick to their own side of the pipe

@ Peter B the bottle works and so does the jerrycan on the fire and even the black bag that lies in the sun all day. I remember one of the clients that I installed a glamping shower for, his comments to his wife was " mamma nou hoef jy nie meer in die dam te bad"
    Last edited by hbannink; 2020/07/06 at 12:52 PM.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

When I used to tow off road caravans i remember one of the best nights while circumnavigating CKGR in July was when everyone could take a hot shower after a long day of driving on barely any tracks. Yes I can heat up jerry cans, blag bags, use rivers and dams etc etc but its just not as nice and easy as having the adjustability of a proper shower just before bed in July. Far less hassle also. I suppose its like modern fridges, we could easily use cooler boxes and dry ice, like we used to but its just better to have a decent fridge.

Anybody can be uncomfortable in the bush.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/06 at 01:05 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Obviously there was no reading of manual. Sometimes I wish I could be like this, just connect all the loose ends of pipes to everything else, test for leaks and send customer away. How on earth did they get any change in temperature of the water? That is just madness.

I do a lot of installations for clients and have done my fair share of research and testing of various systems. The set up above is exactly what I do except my stuff is mostly fixed in the trailer or caravan. The sureflow pump ......
    Hi Henk - where can one get those nice quick connectors for water piping, and what diameter pipe would you suggest? And the sureflow pump - where to get and what L/min and psi?

Thanks for your experienced advice.

I have a very simple portable system

2 Galvanised builders buckets - sizes so that one fits inside the other
    1 small Cadac bottle with cooker top - the bottle and top fits into the smaller bucket
    1 Kariba 5.5L Eco pump/shower kit (I bought it because of the good quality submersible pump)

So maak mens:

Erect shower cubicle or find a tree or just a hook/bracket to your vehicle
    Hang the Kariba pump and shower, connect to 12v
    Fill both buckets with water
    Put the larger one on the gas - max 8-12 min you have hot water
    Put the bucket in the shower cubicle/spot and drop submersible pump in he bucket - SWAMBO Showers....
    By the time she is done I have the smaller bucket ready for me

When packed it only uses the space of one bucket and that little plastic box from Kariba
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/07/06 at 04:48 PM.
    Rudolf Ras
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 851 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 111 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 124 000 km

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast