Lens: Macro vs Fixed Focal length - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Lens: Macro vs Fixed Focal length

Just a thought...

Shooting jewelry is 90% lighting and 10% camera... and if you want to argue, then 50% lighting and 40% post processing... still 10% camera...

Why not spend a few bob on your workflow by adding Lightroom...

If the camera is still OK, that is what I would do.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    Just a thought...

Shooting jewelry is 90% lighting and 10% camera... and if you want to argue, then 50% lighting and 40% post processing... still 10% camera...

Why not spend a few bob on your workflow by adding Lightroom...

If the camera is still OK, that is what I would do.
    I hear you load and clear. NOT easy at all. My stepson is a professional photography and what he wants to charge for images is eye watering due to the complex nature of it. I sell wholesale to the retail trade only , so my images are "technical" as apposed to styled and edited retail images you see in the glossy mags and on billboards.

My camera is not ok and it cannot be repaired so I am looking to upgrade my equipment and looking for advice on the practicalities of a macro lens VS a fixed focal length lens.

Wink Re: Lens: Macro vs Fixed Focal length

Peter Connan gave a good detailed explanation of the attributes and differences of lenses: a true macro lens is usually a fixed focal length lens although certain zoom lenses sometimes also have a 'macro' function. Since your camera is "not ok" you need to decide what you want to replace it with, and this will be determined by how much money you can afford to/want to spend, and what you expect to do with it, (aside from your day-to-day jewellery pictures)... you can quickly and easily browse Orms website for the different brands and models, sort your search by price etc. Do you want compact, bridge, mirrorless or DSLR? Then when you've found a camera, decide what lens you want. A Zoom lens gives a nice range of focal lengths and more flexibility, which should be adequate for your needs. Also make sure to check out the closest focus distance. NiSi filters have a cool piece of kit called a Close-up Lens Kit which screws onto a zoom lens and works like a macro: https://landscapegear.co.za/collecti...ers/NiSi-Macro but here you are entering the realm of DSLR and interchangeable lenses.
    Failing that, get your stepson to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulWW View Post
    I hear you load and clear. NOT easy at all. My stepson is a professional photography and what he wants to charge for images is eye watering due to the complex nature of it. I sell wholesale to the retail trade only , so my images are "technical" as apposed to styled and edited retail images you see in the glossy mags and on billboards.

My camera is not ok and it cannot be repaired so I am looking to upgrade my equipment and looking for advice on the practicalities of a macro lens VS a fixed focal length lens.

This has been a very interesting process. There are as many different view points as there are options. However, decision made.

Canon Powershot G7X Mrk 2 it is.

Thanks for all the input folks, I have learnt so much through this process.

Now to start playing and getting the settings dialed in.

I think the next improvement will be to the physical photo booth/tent and lighting.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulWW For This Useful Post:

I believe that was a wise decision. Well done.
    ZS1ETphonehome

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    I believe that was a wise decision. Well done.
    Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2