Vehicle Compressor with add on tank, is it worth it?

Default Vehicle Compressor with add on tank, is it worth it?

Hi Guys

Need some help from the Fundis. Please note, this exercise was just because my brain started wondering and i thought it would be a nice project. In other words it is being done for fun.

I have got a Arb CKMP12 Portable compressor. (Not so Portable anymore as it is built in to the Landy). It fills my Landy's tyres from 1.00 bar to 2.4 bar in 1 min 30 sec flat. Not rocket speed but i don't think it is slow!!
    Specs @ load 61.6L/min Air flow rate
    Its got a cut out switch at 5.2bar

So i found an old (decent) truck air brake tank (4.0 litres capacity, rated at 15.5 bar pressure) and did the piping to the compressor with the idea of getting more air stored to maybe run some air tools?

So i started the compressor and it filled it rather quickly, maybe 45 seconds. (I didnt time it). Once the pressure reached about 5.5 bar on my cheap inline Air pressure gauge the compressor stopped like it was supposed too. My air lines was nice and tight as it was not loosing any air. At this stage i was happy and chuffed with myself.

So, to test it i deflated one of my tyres and blew it back up again. The extra air in the tank definitely helped bit it wasn't that much of an improvement to say heck yeah lets fit this tank to the Landy. The pressure quickly dropped and the compressor had to kick in again. The pressure on the tank fell fairly quickly down to about 2.5 bars where the compressor was able to maintain the pressure.

So, with my limited knowledge there are two options to try and get more air and pressure from the compressor and tank.

1. Swap the pressure switch to a higher rating pressure switch. Lets say maybe 9 bar?
    Is this possible?
    Is this advisable?

2. Add another 4.0- litres tank to the configuration.
    Will this make any difference though as the compressor will not be able to keep them full in any case?

Let me have your thoughts please?
    Is what i am trying to achieve possible of poep ek teen donderweer?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Default Re: Vehicle Compressor with add on tank, is it worth it?

it's hard for me to see what the goal is.

the compressor you have is rated to 5.2bar at 60litres/minute (or some such), this is the max pressure you're going to get in the tank.

all the tanks will do is increase the litres/minute demand capacity for xx seconds until the tank is depleted.

is the goal to pump the tyres from 1 to 2.5bar in less time than the compressor alone is capable. the tanks would be useful to re-bead a tyre, otherwise I don't really see the point.

edit: run some air tools I see ... google the air consumption of the tool, you'd probably need 120l/min
    Last edited by RussellF; 2020/06/29 at 09:15 PM.

4L at 5.5 bar won't make a massive difference, considering the ARB pumps 1L at pressure nearly every second. You still need the pumping power that's why its recommended to use the dual ARB pump for power tools. The dual also has 100% duty cycle iirc as opposed to single's 50%
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 AWD
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

Quote Originally Posted by RussellF View Post
    it's hard for me to see what the goal is.

the compressor you have is rated to 5.2bar at 60litres/minute (or some such), this is the max pressure you're going to get in the tank.

all the tanks will do is increase the litres/minute demand capacity for xx seconds until the tank is depleted.

is the goal to pump the tyres from 1 to 2.5bar in less time than the compressor alone is capable. the tanks would be useful to re-bead a tyre, otherwise I don't really see the point.
    Only real goal is to see if i can run an air impact wrench from it.

That why i asked if it is possible to swap out the air pressure switch rated at 5.2 bar to a switch that will only cut out the compressor at lets say 9-10 bar?
    Last edited by Haas; 2020/06/29 at 09:15 PM.

P1 x V1 = P2 x V2.

Actually, to be accurate, the above equation needs to have temperature added in, but considering the type of system you have built I think temperature should have negligable effect here.

To my mind, any system with an air receiver should be pumped to the highest pressure the system can safely handle (note that safely part carefully, as compressed air can make a pretty powerful bomb). If you only pump it to the same pressure as your tires, there is no point.
    Even at 5 bar, there is little point.
    If you could get it to 10 bar, maybe the system starts making a noticeable difference.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

Quote Originally Posted by Haas View Post
    That why i asked if it is possible to swap out the air pressure switch rated at 5.2 bar to a switch that will only cut out the compressor at lets say 9-10 bar?
    I couldn't find the pressure specs on the internet but I think it is highly unlikely that that compressor can pump to 9 or 10 bar. So changing the pressure switch will likely not help.
    I presume that if it has a pressure switch cutting out at 5.2bar then it is a safety issues for the compressor itself and will probably deplete its longevity to even try to pump at higher pressures. In short, i don't think it was designed for higher pressures.
    But this is not fact, just my thoughts on the matter. I'm no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    I couldn't find the pressure specs on the internet but I think it is highly unlikely that that compressor can pump to 9 or 10 bar. So changing the pressure switch will likely not help.
    I presume that if it has a pressure switch cutting out at 5.2bar then it is a safety issues for the compressor itself and will probably deplete its longevity to even try to pump at higher pressures. In short, i don't think it was designed for higher pressures.
    But this is not fact, just my thoughts on the matter. I'm no expert.

This was my thoughts also, but.... If you look at the ARB twin compressor it has the same compressor motors the only difference is there are two of them. And their pressure switch is set at 10.3 bar. So why would this one motor not be able to handle the pressure? It should only take longer to fill, or am i missing something.

Thanks for the inputs this far guys.

have a tank in mine and for filling tires it is useless, well for first 10second it good then you just go back to what the comp can push out, a tank is good as have a truck air horn and i can run my impact off it but not for long bursts
    at the end of the day you are restricted by what the comp volume can push out
    also good for lockers as if slight air leak comp is not always running on off on off all time
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

Quote Originally Posted by clivemd View Post
    have a tank in mine and for filling tires it is useless, well for first 10second it good then you just go back to what the comp can push out, a tank is good as have a truck air horn and i can run my impact off it but not for long bursts
    at the end of the day you are restricted by what the comp volume can push out
    also good for lockers as if slight air leak comp is not always running on off on off all time

Thanks for the picture, looks nice!!

To what bar do you pump your tank?
    What compressor do you use?
    I have found a 7bar on 10 bar off pressure switch, going to change it out tonight and see what happens... Wish me luck

you need a 20l tank minimum to make it worth while..then you can add continuous feed with a blow-off valve set at 7.5 bar
    D90
    D130

Tank is not worth it , I had a 50lt tank and pumped it up to 8Bar , I managed to pump up 3 tyres from 0.5Bar to 1bar on my Suzuki probably saved 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rodrigues View Post
    Tank is not worth it , I had a 50lt tank and pumped it up to 8Bar , I managed to pump up 3 tyres from 0.5Bar to 1bar on my Suzuki probably saved 3 minutes.
    Not doing it to blow up tyres faster.

I run a twin piston York compressor feeding a 25 liter tank (might be 20..) and I drive my pneumatics with it comfortably, but the compressor works well at keeping the tank full..

Its obviously not quite as consistent as my 200L garage tank, but then its hard to get a 200L tank between my chassis rails....
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

....if you want to do more than just inflating tires with an on board air system, like using air tools, you will need a compressor which can deliver at least in the region of 4CFM @ 90PSI. I dont think many compressors aimed at the automotive market are capable of achieving this. It is however possible by using the York (aircon) compressors as described by Marcochezzi. (we are currently busy making a video of a York 210 based OB air installation :-) )

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBeggar View Post
    ....if you want to do more than just inflating tires with an on board air system, like using air tools, you will need a compressor which can deliver at least in the region of 4CFM @ 90PSI. I dont think many compressors aimed at the automotive market are capable of achieving this. It is however possible by using the York (aircon) compressors as described by Marcochezzi. (we are currently busy making a video of a York 210 based OB air installation :-) )
    Good man!!!

Please let us know when you are done..!
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Good man!!!

Please let us know when you are done..!
    Hi guys, just an update.

I replaced the the existing sensor with a 8.5-10Bar pressure switch, The tank fills up to 10 bar in about 40 seconds. I tested a air wrench on it and was able to remove all 5 nuts off the Landy without having to wait for it to refill.

We even fastened all of them right after loosening them and there was enough air for this also.

Now i just need to fit the tank and do the piping. Will send photos when i am finished.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haas For This Useful Post:

to what torque spec is the air wrench set for tightening the nuts, how do you prevent overthinking them??

reason I ask, is that I have seen allot of stripping and broken studs in the past using this method.
    Last edited by D-tox; Yesterday at 12:51 PM.
    D90
    D130