New Defender arrived today - Page 3

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: New Defender arrived today

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    Test drives only from official sale date (I think they said I could only drive the one I ordered on the 9th of July).

The blue one in Menlyn was the same pre-production model they used on the reveal.

100% but the previous poster was claiming he could not take a photo which is allowed. It was only test drives that were not.
    Last edited by Byron; 2020/07/01 at 10:23 AM.
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

I don't like it, looks ugly for me compared to RR Sport in the first pic on post #11.

I am test driving the D240 on 9 July which was the earliest they said was possible. Interestingly they also said the P400 wasn't available to test drive?
    Last edited by PaulMark; 2020/07/01 at 11:12 AM.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

Jeez, correct, that's not a very flattering angle in the first photo, it needs additional lift at the back and where's the front bumper?

Hopefully it's just the angle of the photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by HannesS View Post
    I don't like it, looks ugly for me compared to RR Sport in the first pic on post #11.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Jah, but on a brand new R1.3 million rand car!?
    I'm sure there'll be a recall, the first of many...
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Why does it look like the rear is sagging.Looks nose up to me
    It's probably come of the truck like that. The air suspension tries to get the vehicle level while it is not running by letting out air. It should come right once it is started and the compressor does it's job.

When I jack my Disco 2 up, it drops all the way to the bump stops when I let it down again. After 20 seconds or so of running it's back to normal height.

Quote Originally Posted by HannesS View Post
    That is a Discovery 5, not a RR Sport. However, I prefer the look of both over the Defender. But is it me or is that Defender bigger than I thought it would be if compared to that Discovery?

Had a reasonable look over an S model; big vehicle but lighter than a D4 by around 500kg the salesperson said, good departure angles, nice utilitarian interior (quite different and no carpets), lots of charging points etc, looked like USB input for map, good underbody protection. But expensive extras I understood and about R60k difference between models (told only 3; Base (steel wheels, no air suspension etc; S air susp., electric seats, allow 19" wheels and SD? 20" wheels and more electronic bits & pieces - blind spot warning etc). All in the R1m to R1,3m range. Nice vehicle, no test drives yet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200701_112310_resized.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	331.1 KB 
ID:	577887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200701_112323_resized.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	297.4 KB 
ID:	577888

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    It's probably come of the truck like that. The air suspension tries to get the vehicle level while it is not running by letting out air. It should come right once it is started and the compressor does it's job.

When I jack my Disco 2 up, it drops all the way to the bump stops when I let it down again. After 20 seconds or so of running it's back to normal height.
    When most of these cars (modern Land Rovers as far back as when I worked there in 2008-2011) come from factory they’re in a restricted access mode - limited to 40 or 60 km/h and air suspension locked in access mode).

They have have to go through their activation and Pre Delivery Inspection to raise suspension and remove speed limiter.

Anyone who comments on sagging suspension or how low the ground clearance is on a modern Land Rover has NO idea about how they work and should educate themselves.

With respect comparing the D2 system to the new Defender is like saying that the leaf spring on a horse cart is the same as the composite transverse setup on a Corvette.

And yes yes there might be recalls - always will be on any new car
    Last edited by Andrew5336; 2020/07/06 at 02:57 AM.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew5336 For This Useful Post:

In Australia kos die top een meer as VXR Land Cruiser.

There are four of them at Daly in Potch - all 4 perfectly level. The olive green and the white looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blikka View Post
    That is a Discovery 5, not a RR Sport. However, I prefer the look of both over the Defender. But is it me or is that Defender bigger than I thought it would be if compared to that Discovery?
    Its just closer to the camera than the Disco, so it appears bigger than it is

This is part of the problem, the New Defender is more Discovery than Defender and the new Discovery is more Range Rover than Discovery.

Both the Defender and Discovery lost its identity with the new versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blikka View Post
    Last edited by Tom13; 2020/07/06 at 07:10 AM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5336 View Post
    When most of these cars (modern Land Rovers as far back as when I worked there in 2008-2011) come from factory they’re in a restricted access mode - limited to 40 or 60 km/h and air suspension locked in access mode). They have have to go through their activation and Pre Delivery Inspection to raise suspension and remove speed limiter.
    It may be the case that in the photo the vehicle is standing nose up because it is in access mode, does the vehicle stand nose up in locked access mode?

If a modern air-sprung Land Rover is not running and it is jacked up, is it not a possibility that air will be let out of the suspension unevenly? Our D3 used to do it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew5336 View Post
    With respect comparing the D2 system to the new Defender is like saying that the leaf spring on a horse cart is the same as the composite transverse setup on a Corvette....
    I wasn't comparing the vehicles, only using my experience of the behaviour of air suspension as a possible explanation for the nose up rear down stance of the Defender.

The point that I was really trying to make, is that there is probably nothing wrong with the vehicle and that it probably doesn't normally stand like that, but that it will rectify itself as soon as what it is running.

It could only ever have been an educated guess, I wasn't there. Which is why I said probably. I still think that it is a probability, unless the compressor runs when the vehicle is off.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2020/07/06 at 07:36 AM.

Interesting to see how they go in the test drives. Quote I saw was R1,3m odd for an SE including roofrack and a few "packages". The dealer offered a D5 for the same money. So I suppose it depends on how much off road you intend doing and how well the drive of the two compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Why does it look like the rear is sagging.Looks nose up to me
    To me it looks staid and stuffy....a typical Sandton 4x4. It needs to look crisp and slighty military, like the Discovery 1 did whe it came out...that was why it was so popular.

I went to see the New Defender at LR Constantiaberg ...
    It is a "nice" looking vehicle, as I stood there looking at it I just couldn't see it rumbling through the Makgadigadi like a badger, squelching through the Savuti like a crocodile or panting like a bulldog in the heat of the CKR ... I could see it pulling up onto a pavement (carefully) dropping the kids at school, sporting a couple of paddle ski's etc etc

I really liked the styling and little concepts, it is beautiful inside, as someone said, it is really eclectic and unique ... sealed boot and footwell, a pretty good electronic lift and despite the size it feels relatively cozy in the cockpit. I dont think it is much "bigger" than the "Original" Defender.

At R1 000 000 to R1 250 000 ?? With the Land Cruiser 70's around R850 000 and the GX 200 in the same bracket this new creature is going to be going uphill from day one to sway people who actually use that small gear leaver (the one that hides in the shadow of the gear lever).

With that pretty negative "personal" review I am working on convincing my wife to trade her Evoque in on a New Defender ....

Enjoy the visit, it is well worth the visit.
    Last edited by Ross McLean Calder; 2020/07/06 at 08:15 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ross McLean Calder For This Useful Post:

Just had a look at it now.

It looks smaller IRL than in photos, IMHO.

Sitting position and driver's view is pretty good.

Pedals are still way close together for comfortable left-foot braking.

The boot is not as big as I expected, but the side curvatures of the opening means that you lose a lot of space if you were to fit a drawer system.

Name:	DSC_1971.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	578505

Name:	DSC_1972.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	578506
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Its just closer to the camera than the Disco, so it appears bigger than it is

Looks more like the Discovery Sport on the right....not the D5...#11

"This is part of the problem, the New Defender is more Discovery than Defender and the new Discovery is more Range Rover than Discovery."

Amen
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2010 DISCO 4 TDV6 SE - Swambo
    2012 Q7 - Me
    Land Cruizer ( INKUNZI )

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Just had a look at it now.

It looks smaller IRL than in photos, IMHO.

Sitting position and driver's view is pretty good.

Pedals are still way close together for comfortable left-foot braking.

The boot is not as big as I expected, but the side curvatures of the opening means that you lose a lot of space if you were to fit a drawer system.

Name:	DSC_1971.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	578505

Name:	DSC_1972.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	578506
    The storage space underneath the boot looks like a decent place to put a dual battery system. Would it fit?
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast