New Defender arrived today - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: New Defender arrived today

The Vehicle in standard outfit looks rather mall crawler to me.

With mods it will look bada$$ though. I like the rally wheels/tyre, goodyear wrangler duratrac combo they had on for Kingsley's trip with them.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMark View Post
    The storage space underneath the boot looks like a decent place to put a dual battery system. Would it fit?

At first glance, yes. You would then relocate the various bits from the toolkit in a bag/small ammo box.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    At first glance, yes. You would then relocate the various bits from the toolkit in a bag/small ammo box.
    I'm test driving one on Thursday. Will be taking along a tape measure
    Last edited by PaulMark; 2020/07/06 at 01:36 PM.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulMark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    I'm sure there'll be a recall, the first of many...
    At R1. +million I think the Fugly factor will be too much to swallow. Who will take an expensive vehicle like that down the Mabuasehube cutline and risk the Kalahari pinstriping?

And yes, those with lots of money will customise them and they might look cool, but in terms of real life use as a 4x4 or overlander - nope, not gonna happen.

JLR, Jeep, in fact most of them have just lost the plot when it comes to 4x4 vehicles. Yes on paper or if you are a journo doing a test, it will go anywhere, but when you paid your own money to buy it?
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    ... but in terms of real life use as a 4x4 or overlander - nope, not gonna happen. ...

you should get out more - you would be surprised at how many D4/RR/RRS go off-road.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

cor

[QUOTE=Ubbo;4427341]At R1. +million I think the Fugly factor will be too much to swallow. Who will take an expensive vehicle like that down the Mabuasehube cutline and risk the Kalahari pinstriping? I wonder if the Vinyl Wrap companies can reproduce the Kalahari pinstriping. Could be a good sell.
    [SIGPIC]MikevR Be determined to live the unlived life within you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubbo View Post
    At R1. +million I think the Fugly factor will be too much to swallow. Who will take an expensive vehicle like that down the Mabuasehube cutline and risk the Kalahari pinstriping? And yes, those with lots of money will customise them and they might look cool, but in terms of real life use as a 4x4 or overlander - nope, not gonna happen. JLR, Jeep, in fact most of them have just lost the plot when it comes to 4x4 vehicles. Yes on paper or if you are a journo doing a test, it will go anywhere, but when you paid your own money to buy it?
    Driving an FJ.... and you say its fugly... really?
    2006 VW Touareg 4.2 V8 Auto
    2000 Disco 2 GS 4.6 V8 Auto

2013 Wildebeest Kalfie Boswa
    2002 Audi S6 4.2 V8 quattro

2013 Freelander SD4 (SWAMBO)
    ORRA Z07

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TwinDisco For This Useful Post:

As a non LR owner, it's definitely the ugliest and least appealing one of the bunch. (or shall I say the only ugly one)

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    As a non LR owner, it's definitely the ugliest and least appealing one of the bunch. (or shall I say the only ugly one)
    And you find a Triton good looking? Sorry, but you walked into that one!!

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    AGREED... as a non-Tryton owner even a SSangYong Kyron is better looking ;-)

ORRA Z07

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Am I not allowed to have an opinion? Did I compare it to a R160k triton? Is this a triton thread? You are by far one of the biggest trolls on this forum, is it all you sit and do every day?

Quote Originally Posted by TwinDisco View Post
    AGREED... as a non-Tryton owner even a SSangYong Kyron is better looking ;-)
    it's spelled Triton

it's spelled Triton
    Really... so what is a LD then ?

ORRA Z07

Am I not allowed to have an opinion? Did I compare it to a R160k triton? Is this a triton thread? You are by far one of the biggest trolls on this forum, is it all you sit and do every day?
    Sure you are. It is a pity you are so sensitive. Something Defender drivers are not...

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Eish you guys are really harsh with each others vehicles. Forget about the looks as that is all related to taste for now. (ps. i think it looks awesome!) Also you can not compare this to the old Defender. Its in a whole other class and is clearly not aimed at hardened 4x4ers or traditional Defender owners, who dont spend money on new, more modern vehicles - in most cases anyway.

My opinion has changed a little maybe due to having too much time over the last 3 months.

For the sake of argument, lets just say overlanding is extended self reliant, off the grid travel where very little time is spent in official campsites and solar is required to keep your power requirements - say 4 weeks plus where you have to carry all your food, drinking water and fuel. Lets say a week or three in Botswana, Namibia, Zim, etc in official campsites and reserves is an "off tar holiday".

Here is my take as a full on Landy fan who does a fair amount of overlanding and off the tar holidays, who may or may not still be buying one. I have owned, several defenders as well as D1, D3, D4 (x2), D5 and done Overlanding as well as off tar holidays in all of them to a certain extent.

The New Defender is very nice. It is now, in my mind, a luxury 4x4 with some basic, practical features, like rubber flooring instead of carpet etc. Its also got some really nice electronic gadgetry and based on all other LR models with similar suspension it will drive really well. It will eat up those long boring roads in pure comfort. And it will tow better than the old Defender.

Packing space is a problem though. I would say possibly the same or slightly smaller than a D4 but this could be because of the boot/door design? On the 110, if you fit a fridge I would say you have taken almost 50% of your boot space. Similar to a D4. For water and extra fuel you would have to either carry containers on the roof or inside of the vehicle somewhere - I dont believe auxiliary tanks can be fitted. If you are into very basic camping or pulling a trailer then you would not need to worry about packing space. Buying, collecting and carrying wood will be a concern with the OEM LR roof rack, and access to the roof rack without the expensive seemingly weak OEM ladder will be difficult......... perhaps in time aftermarket companies will solve this.

The New Defender will be as good if not better off road compared to a D4. If I get one I will not use it on some of our trips where paint maybe scratched but I do have a 130 that I am trying to make into an Overlander. So for a well known example, traveling from Nossob to Mabau along the Boso trail, in some areas you are driving on a winding track where bushes are very close to the edge of the road and will scratch all vehicles using that route......I have seen Disco's fortuners etc traveling there so, its able to do the route but whether you are willing or not? ....... it will come down to how you like to look after your car. Then to carry all the provisions for a trip to mabua, will be a problem unless towing something. remember working out of water or fuel containers strapped to the roof is only good for off the tar holidays and not for Overlanding.

Thats not to say the New Defender is not capable as I would say its probably more capable than a D4?

I would fit the New Defender into the same league as a Toyota 200 series, D4, Prado/fortuner for traveling - although it will probably have far better off road ability. They are all brilliant 4x4's and brilliant for off the tar holidays but they are not overland vehicles.

Look at the launch or thing they did in Namibia. It showed exactly how the vehicles will be used....... Apart from maybe carrying basic things and a couple carrying 40ltr engels, which i guess was packed for the day rather than the week, they didnt carry much. They also drove from lodge to lodge, or tented camps. They did not have to carry food, drinks, water, extra fuel etc.

My guess is that the new defender is going to sell like hot cakes (without taking into account economies crashing due to Covid). It will take away sales from the D5. The New Defender will mostly be sold into a new market segment and mostly to people who have either moved on from the old Defender or to people who have never owned a Defender - exactly what LR needed to achieve. I think it will become a new craze, and sold to people who like Rubicons, cross fit and mountain bikes, and the odd off the tar holiday.
    Another negative is, it no longer has an iconic long lasting shape and will see many changes every 5 to 7 years like all other vehicle on the market, and will not stand out from the crowd, like Disco Sport, D5, and Range rover to a certain extent.......... but it will retain superior off road ability and gizmo's keeping with the Defender name.

Perhaps the New 130 will become the New Overlander? The New 110 is brilliant for off the tar holidays but is not an Overlander.

Now to go back to the vehicles Ive owned, they were all brilliant vehicles and I really enjoyed all of them for various reasons, but now that Im back in a Defender, I am more excited about Overlanding than I have been in a long time. Maybe I am reinfected with the Defender virus.

Play nice.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/07 at 02:39 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

21. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Perhaps the New 130 will become the New Overlander? The New 110 is brilliant for off the tar holidays but is not an Overlander.
    I don't think there is much to be gained from trying to pigeon hole things into nice neat boxes. Different people will use vehicles in different ways.

While I share your concern around packing space (particularly the roof rack where I am going to battle to fit everything I had on my rack from the old 110 onto the new one) where there is a will there is a way. I once spent four weeks in Botswana in a Defender 90 that was packed to the gills with supplies but we made it work - and had a great time too!

Also the fact that the rear seats fold flat open up interesting packing options for longer trips if its only 2 people.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaulMark For This Useful Post:

I don't think there is much to be gained from trying to pigeon hole things into nice neat boxes. Different people will use vehicles in different ways.

While I share your concern around packing space (particularly the roof rack where I am going to battle to fit everything I had on my rack from the old 110 onto the new one) where there is a will there is a way. I once spent four weeks in Botswana in a Defender 90 that was packed to the gills with supplies but we made it work - and had a great time too!

Also the fact that the rear seats fold flat open up interesting packing options for longer trips if its only 2 people.

Of course you can make things work but why the admin of doing that when there are better suited vehicles?
    Discovery Sport 2.0i D
    Defender 90 LE Puma 2.2TDCI
    Defender 110 DC Td5 (life partners)
    Discovery 1 200 Tdi Auto

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Byron For This Useful Post:

Exactly. I agree 100%. I know a couple who lived out of a 90 for 2 years traveling Europe. It can be done but 4 weeks on holiday in Botswana in a heavily loaded 90 is not Overlanding and if you are moving daily it becomes a mission to some - still awesome but a mission to some! Some wont mind the work of unloading and repacking once or 3 times a year but some will. Would you have packed the same way or chosen the same vehicle for a 6 month trip from CT to Europe?
    Also, remember being in a "sheltered" environment like most of Botswana allows you to unpack daily but there are some areas where you dont want to have to unpack due to animals or humans with prying eyes.

And that is what I am trying to say - perhaps badly. I am not saying its not possible, flip I have a friend who overlanded from the UK to CT on a Vespa! Im saying to be comfortable and to travel further than just Botswana on an off tar holiday, for a short time, you will need more than what the New Defender 110 or a 90 can offer. most people dont have this luxury so its irrelevant anyway.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/07 at 02:11 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by FransBR View Post
    Looks more like the Discovery Sport on the right....not the D5...#11"This is part of the problem, the New Defender is more Discovery than Defender and the new Discovery is more Range Rover than Discovery."Amen
    The Discovery Sport's tail light looks different. That looks like a Disco 5 tail light. I have a Disovery Sport and thinking of trading in for a D5. Did the offroad course in a D5 and for where I want to drive it, was more than capable. I loved the D5. Will have a look at the Defender out of curiosity, but I doubt it will win my heart over. My next choice will be a D5.

I recon with the Grenadier soon to be present, LR will do a face lift in a drastic way (read model upgrade) similar to what happend to the new Jimny, the the Defender will look "the part"

the new model is quite nice though..
    D90
    D130

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast