How do I remove the front bumper cameras on 2014 (face lift) D4?

Default How do I remove the front bumper cameras on 2014 (face lift) D4?

Hi everyone

The front bumper mounted cameras for the surround camera system on my 2014 D4 HSE have some sandblasting on the lenses. I want to remove the cameras to see if it can be polished out, if the lenses could be replaced, or if I can replace the camera with a better one.

Does anyone know how these bumper mounted cameras are replaced (removed and refitted) on the later (2014 to 2016) D4s? The bumper is closed underneath so there is no access from below. Something would have to be removed somewhere to get access to the back of the camera.
    Land Rover and VW fan

Default Re: How do I remove the front bumper cameras on 2014 (face lift) D4?

I managed to get the right side (driver's side) camera out by removing the fog light. It is still a bit awkward due to metal sections of the bumper being in the way, but knowing now how the camera unclips, I could feel enough to unclip it and push it back into the bumper to remove it through the fog light gap.

The lens unscrews from the camera. Does anyone know where I could get replacement lenses for these cameras?

Land Rover only has the complete camera, which was over R6000 when I priced them in October 2019, so will be substantially more now.
    Land Rover and VW fan

Default How do I remove the front bumper cameras on 2014 (face lift) D4?

Maybe there is an indication of who actually makes the camera other than LR?
    That should be a good starting point? You quite probably already tried this?
    Roy
    Last edited by royjacobs; 2020/06/28 at 07:04 PM.

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

Default Re: How do I remove the front bumper cameras on 2014 (face lift) D4?

I couldn't find any manufacture details on the camera itself. I see there are some available overseas on e-bay and others. Even some Chinese ones for 15 to 20 US$. I may get one of these and see if I can just swap the lenses. Still trying to find other options.

I did manage to get the driver's side (right side) camera out by removing the fog light and accessing it through this space. Not so easy but can be done. The left side is not possible this way as the windscreen washer reservoir/bottle sits right behind the fog light, leaving too little space to get a hand down to the back of the camera. It seems the only way to get to this camera is to remove the whole bumper.
    Last edited by CommanderKeen; 2020/06/30 at 11:16 AM.
    Land Rover and VW fan