3.0 vs 4.0 on Prado

Default 3.0 vs 4.0 on Prado

We're looking in to getting an old Prado and I've noticed that 2003 3.0 is about the same price as the 2005 4.0 for around the same mileage. 250k km's.

So which engine is better, cheaper to maintain and will last longer? What issues do I look out for when approaching the vehicle for the first time.

Any other issues with the Prado I should be aware of? Drivetrain and suspension wise.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to willben For This Useful Post:

Default Re: 3.0 vs 4.0 on Prado

Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    We're looking in to getting an old Prado and I've noticed that 2003 3.0 is about the same price as the 2005 4.0 for around the same mileage. 250k km's.

So which engine is better, cheaper to maintain and will last longer? What issues do I look out for when approaching the vehicle for the first time.

Any other issues with the Prado I should be aware of? Drivetrain and suspension wise.
    I can't comment on other issues, but the engine choice is down to you, whether you like to drive petrols or diesels.

They are both very good, proven engines that have been around for ages.

I always prefer diesels for driving around Africa, probably based on old experiences I had of finding diesel in certain remote places , but not petrol.

Willben,

I would personally buy the newer petrol model.

The KZTE motor on the Prado was not really that much lighter on fuel when working hard ( towing, heavy laden, roofrack ect) than the V6. ( Also they were really only great at cruising open level roads, as when overtaking the KZTE had its work cut out. They are not that slow, they just have a relaxed way about them of driving at all times, as they do need some planning when overtaking on single lane roads. I prefer the more responsive and willingness of the V6, but I do pay for it at the pump compared to newer vehicles.

The V6 is much more responsive and with the 5 speed auto they can do reasonable economy when driven correctly around the speed limit.

Also the 2005 model V6 should have the 5 speed auto fitted which is a much better choice compared to the long geared 4 speed auto. There were some small changes underneath the skin when the 5 speed autobox was introduced.

Bear in mind that spirited driving on the V6 will see you easy break the 16l/100 average if you drive it like that. I average on mine 12-13l/100 on long trips at speed limit. Best I have ever had was 11.6/100km @ 110 km/h through the Free State on the secondary roads. In town I get +/- 14-15L/100 km. I have done some spirited towing of a off road trailer to clarens and back and I averaged 16.5/100 km for the trip.

Mine gets about +/- 1380 km on both tanks on the open road on average.

Maintenance wise I would choose the V6. Make sure that the cooling system is in tip top shape and they will provide with endless fun. I service mine still at the agents and the services are every 10000 km @ +/- R1800 per service, and the 40000 km intervals are the big services, which is approx R +/- 5500-6000, which they replace all fluids filters and plugs. This is at the agents at the normal rate.

Most people find the V6 heavy on fuel, but it is all a case of relevance. If you want the horses, you need to feed them. No way around that. Also Make a diesel work hard and they drink a lot too.
    Johan Marais

Toyota L/Cruiser Prado 4.0 VX AT 08

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohanHilux For This Useful Post:

I had the diesel model and found it to have serious turbo lag especially at higher temperatures and elevations.
    Also, that engine was just too pap for me.
    Then there is the well documented cooling issue which mine eventually succumbed to on about 120k. It needed a new cylinder head but I just sold it as is, smoking like an old steam train.
    I would opt for the petrol, and Im a diesel fan.
    That KZ-TE engine was definitely not Toyotas finest moment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to andrewdjulyan For This Useful Post:

Granted, the KZ was def not the finest hr. But, that was the testbed for the 1KD. 3.0 D4D.

We are now able to offer you a 1KD with a mechanical injector pump. So you can pull the 1KZ and put in the 1KD. Straight swop.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

What JohanHilux said 👍

When I bought my Prado in 2012, I tested the 3.0 D4D diesel. It felt pap... worst that the 3.0 D4D hilux it was replacing.

I average slightly more than Johan... around 13 - 14 L/100km in my V6 petrol. Heavy foot will easily see you over 15. Worst consumption was along the Orange to Richtersveld: 650 km at 18.5 L/100km.

They do say buy Diesel new and Petrol second-hand.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WillMartin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Granted, the KZ was def not the finest hr. But, that was the testbed for the 1KD. 3.0 D4D.

We are now able to offer you a 1KD with a mechanical injector pump. So you can pull the 1KZ and put in the 1KD. Straight swop.

What would it cost to do a kz to kd swap? Im looking at getting a Prado series 95 with a kz engine.

thanks.

Going the full electronic 1KD route is a nightmare going 1KD mechanical is a lot more reasonable.

Wild guess, about R75k. All in.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for your feedback. So I've made the mistake of opening my search up. If I go on auto trader and look open the search criteria then I also start getting Jeep GC and Wrangler, LR D4 (not interested), Mits Paj (not sure cause diesel), Toyota Fortuner 4.0, Toyota FJ.

Dammit.

Ok so no Jeep GC, too much electronics and they have air suspension I think. No Wrangler because I don't like road noise, no Mitsu Paj cause no Petrol. No LR cause I've learned my lesson and paid my school fees. So FJ, Fortuner or Prado... All Toyota!
    Last edited by willben; 2020/06/28 at 08:23 AM.
    Regards,

William

4x4 'Tuna

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by willben View Post
    Thank you all for your feedback. So I've made the mistake of opening my search up. If I go on auto trader and look open the search criteria then I also start getting Jeep GC and Wrangler, LR D4 (not interested), Mits Paj (not sure cause diesel), Toyota Fortuner 4.0, Toyota FJ.

Dammit.

Ok so no Jeep GC, too much electronics and they have air suspension I think. No Wrangler because I don't like road noise, no Mitsu Paj cause no Petrol. No LR cause I've learned my lesson and paid my school fees. So FJ, Fortuner or Prado... All Toyota!
    Just a point of interest now that you have made up your mind. The Pajero came with a 3.8L V6 Petrol in Generation 4 (current generation) for a couple of years. They are very scarce.

Earlier generations came with a 3.0 V6 and a 3.5 L V6 Petrol. With the push for more fuel efficient vehicles the petrols were cut from the line up.

The Pajero Sport however was never available in petrol locally.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2020/06/28 at 09:12 AM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Prado 120 I would go petrol, currently own one. Pajero definitely Diesel. Used to own one and still sometimes kick myself for selling it.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Just a point of interest now that you have made up your mind. The Pajero came with a 3.8L V6 Petrol in Generation 4 (current generation) for a couple of years. They are very scarce.

Earlier generations came with a 3.0 V6 and a 3.5 L V6 Petrol. With the push for more fuel efficient vehicles the petrols were cut from the line up.

The Pajero Sport however was never available in petrol locally.
    The Gen3 Pajero also came in the 3.8 V6 for a while
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

Correct, and in some countries the 3.0 soldiered on in the Gen4 as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by KurtG View Post
    The Gen3 Pajero also came in the 3.8 V6 for a while
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Same here, I had both, the 3.0d and the 4.0 V6. For the negligible difference in fuel economy the 4.0 V6 is the way to go.
    And with a later model for the same price you get more creature comforts and oh the awesome nice drive of the 120 is tops
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

21. The Following User Says Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

Personally I would not buy any high mileage diesel from any brand. Too many unknowns. The 4.0 is cheap to maintain and very durable.

Whats your budget?

I ask as I have an 06 v6 with 230k on the clock and am looking to sell as need a bigger car. The petrol is a beauty to drive.