Suzuki Ignis AMT

Default Suzuki Ignis AMT

I am interested in purchasing an Ignis amt (automated manual transmission). What are the pro's and con's of this transmission and should I rather stick with the manual? Any views on this will be much appreciated.

Default Re: Suzuki Ignis AMT

Well, I have the Swift amt. If I have it correct, they use the same drivetrain.
    For me it works really nice, it acts just like a normal auto without the older tech torque converter slip.

It does change gears slower than one would think though but I am not an enthusiastic driver anymore.
    It gears down with you when you brake and I had to get used to that.

I had to change my driving habits abit to get the fuel economy better, too slow with low revs and economy goes bad, too enthusiastic and the same happens, I guess most cars are like this.

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    I am interested in purchasing an Ignis amt (automated manual transmission). What are the pro's and con's of this transmission and should I rather stick with the manual? Any views on this will be much appreciated.
    Hi BillyD

The pros of the AMT is that because it is used with a small engine you acceleration especially when overtaking is much quicker than a conventional auto box.

Cons: gear changes are not as smooth as a normal auto. If the car is in neutral it can roll when switched off so you just need to remember to put it in gear and pull up the hand brake on steep inclines and then put it in neutral again before starting.
    It does not have a "park" like normal auto boxes.

Once used to the AMT box its actually a very nice drive. You can try taking your foot off the accelerator with gear changes that makes changing gears smoother.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

And pulling away on an incline will require you to use the handbrake as you would with a manual car.
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

We have a new Ignis amt (2weeks old) and it is an amazing little car to drive, only gear I really feel is when it changes from 1st to 2nd.
    When overtaking you floor it and it just does itís thing and is actually surprisingly nippy.
    Average consumption is 5.3 l/100km.
    Toyota
    2019 Toyota 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Raider DC Auto

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    The best is to rather take any AMT for a test drive. Explaining in text is a bit too difficult to comprehend.
    Sent from my iPhone

Hi,

We purchased an Ignis AMT almost a year ago. Really enjoying the vehicle.

AMT works well, easy to get used to.

regards

Buks

In place of a gear lever and a clutch pedal inside the cabin of the car, which are manually operated by the driver, the AMT transmission has a hydraulic actuator system mounted inside the engine which operates both. The actuators of the AMT system are linked to the ECU of the car, which gives it the input and the output goes to the gears and clutch.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.