prevalence of stealing - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: prevalence of stealing

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Unfortunately anything with a Toyota badge.
    If it has a D4-D badge its even worse, the Toyota Quantum has this d4d in common.
    2017 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 Auto (current)
    2008 Isuzu KB 300 4X4 manual (current)

A friend had an old beach buggy which we used for fishing. The beach buggy was never stolen but it's battery was stolen three times. It seemed as if the battery was more valuable than the beach buggy .

Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Unfortunately anything with a Toyota badge.
    Except FJ
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Except FJ
    that should tell you something about how fugly it is?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Leamen View Post
    Following the theft of the vehicle, my daughter would like to sell the two rear seats that she had taken out. Does anyone have any idea what sort of price she could ask, and does anyone no of someone who would be interested in them.

John
    Worth nothing as there are too many lying around. Lots of people take them out.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    that should tell you something about how fugly it is?
    HATED the FJ when they first came out. Now love them. My wife hates them. So I love them even more.

Had a work Avanza hijacked a few days ago - found a few hours later, stripped ..........
    Safe Diving - Andy

2013 Isuzu KB6 300 DC 4X4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrews_underwater_images/

They are used as taxis, so a real target. Unfortunately the Etios also a target for the engine.

To the OP, Jeep Cherokee might be a safer replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyT View Post
    Had a work Avanza hijacked a few days ago - found a few hours later, stripped ..........

Subaru. Good specials at the moment. Very low risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Hloni View Post
    They are used as taxis, so a real target. Unfortunately the Etios also a target for the engine.

To the OP, Jeep Cherokee might be a safer replacement.
    Oh yes, that is also one that has picked up in the past while.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    Worth nothing as there are too many lying around. Lots of people take them out.
    Give them to the security guard to use.
    Robbie
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.

Since the 2.8 GD6 engine is used in the new Quantum/Hilux it is probably just a matter of time before the new Fortuners will also be targeted for the engines.

Anything not sold in the millions will probably be a safer option and there are plenty of options.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Have you considered a Subaru Forester perhaps.

I've been in a couple of them and they are surprisingly capable. Maintenance of Subarus can be expensive out of motor plan. My colleague has had a Legacy since 2004, now well over 300 000km no major issues but changing timing belts for example is expensive, and so are parts in general. Another colleague's wife has had the Forester for 2 years now, they speak highly of the vehicle.

Personally, I find that Forester CVT annoying and boring to drive. But beyond that it is still a very good option in my view both in city and on gravel.
    Last edited by Absie; 2020/06/29 at 10:10 AM.

One of the most underrated Fortuner competitors is the Hyundai Santa Fe Awd. Phenomenal quality, drive, fuel consumption, very long 5-yr 150 000km warranty, 5-yr service plan, etc.
    ZERO DEMAND in the underworld (Methinks ��)

The great bargains right now are 2015 - 2019 pre-facelift models.
    Last edited by 012jck; 2020/06/29 at 04:45 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 012jck For This Useful Post:

It would be interesting to know how many of each make of SUV there are in South Africa, and how many of each make are stolen per month or per year. Only if one can express the number stolen as a percentage of vehicles of that make available to be stolen will one be able to say that one make is more prone to being stolen or hijacked .... they probably sell more Fortuners each month than all other SUVs combined, so it is only to be expected that more Fortuners than any other make will be stolen, simply because there are so many more available. How many Mini bakkies (remember them?) have been stolen over the last 5 years .... ? Probably none, because there are probably not more than 5 of them in the Country. So how can you say that your Fortuner (one of many thousands) is more likely to get stolen than my Mini bakkie (one of probably 5 or so)? Reminds me of the story about apples and pears.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kobus Vorster For This Useful Post:

Default How about a Forester

How about a Subaru Forester, if you have an agent nearby. Quite a safe car: permanent all wheel drive, low center of gravity thanks to boxer engine, excellent visibility all round. New engines use timing chains instead of belts, as far as I know, eliminating that high cost of belt replacement every 100k.

What about Korean cars, Sorento and Santa fe, and smaller?

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus Vorster View Post
    It would be interesting to know how many of each make of SUV there are in South Africa, and how many of each make are stolen per month or per year. Only if one can express the number stolen as a percentage of vehicles of that make available to be stolen will one be able to say that one make is more prone to being stolen or hijacked .... they probably sell more Fortuners each month than all other SUVs combined, so it is only to be expected that more Fortuners than any other make will be stolen, simply because there are so many more available. How many Mini bakkies (remember them?) have been stolen over the last 5 years .... ? Probably none, because there are probably not more than 5 of them in the Country. So how can you say that your Fortuner (one of many thousands) is more likely to get stolen than my Mini bakkie (one of probably 5 or so)? Reminds me of the story about apples and pears.
    While the data sample is somewhat smaller, this is exactly what the actuaries at the motor insurers do. They are, after all, in the business of selling and buying risk.

Where I worked we did not have many Fortuners on the books, but a LOT of VW Polos. And the data was there, they got stolen a lot more than the others, expressed as a percentage of how many we had on the book.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport
    Slowly getting sorted for remote camping

Quote Originally Posted by Kobus Vorster View Post
    They only sell so many Fortuners annually, because they get stolen in their thousands and then insurance companies have to buy replacement Fortuners......
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/07/10 at 05:19 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

The two vehicles in the same class as a Fortuner that I wouldn't mind getting is the Pajero Sport or Isuzu MUX

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast