Grid-tied or off-grid. Please consider ... - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Grid-tied or off-grid. Please consider ...

Quote Originally Posted by BuckRogers View Post
    Certainly many knowledgeable individuals on this thread.
    Thank you for sharing all the details and enriching others.

It seems to me that a small grid tied inverter without batteries could certainly help protects against electricity charges, especially in the higher tariff blocks.
    Even more so with most people working from home, so you can control the daytime load better.

Now I am wondering - I currently have a generator with change over switch - 6500kva
    Will this work in conjunction with a grid tied inverter, in other words, will the inverter sync to the generator frequency and enable you to use both during load shedding.
    From the bit I have read it would seem a small grid tied can work on a bigger genny. I just don't see why one would want to do it as the genny still uses fuel so not much saving adding PV to the mix.

Yes as a means of saving from grid cost due to moving into the expensive block the grid tied does help a lot and also at low cost unless one goes for hybrid inverters. Even running hybrids without batteries turns out expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    The question I have is are there any SSEGs that are pumping their excess power back into the grid.
    At least I received one response (yourself) but although you registered you aren't exporting power due to it not being financially attractive.
    So my conclusion is virtually no one is exporting power (legally) to the grid under the SSEG structure.
    And this realization does surprise me!
    Hoera! I've found someone who is legally exporting his excess power to the grid!
    Last edited by Richard Mackay; 2020/10/27 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Stick to the rules . I replied on the post from Richard saying grid tied are expensive and complicated.

You know very well that the Axpert is not approved and I made no reference to it. All Solis models are on the NRS list.
    Sometimes we post things for posterity, combining concepts and ideas into one post.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/10/27 at 05:04 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

So here is my tuppence since I started this thread

1. Installation was done in July with 5KVa Axpert, 12 Canadian 410 panels, 2 x 120ah 6.1kwh LiFePO4 batteries, Victron 712, manual change over switch between Conlog prepaid and Axpert, ICC software and GeyserWise controller. It has to cater for winter loads - no electrical heaters though.

We run the whole house of this system so no split between essential and non-essential loads. Lots of power hungry devices - Fridges (2 large, 2 bar, 2 camping), Freezers (1 large 1 chest), 2 Aircons, SMEG Oven (a killer), washing machines, dishwasher, etc etc

2. Experiences:

During July/August we were tuning the system AND our habits, so we tended to use the prepaid every now and then (and GeyserWise would come on unexpectedly at night).
    Since September we are producing excess power. At peak we produce 4.3KW on a coolish day.

During the month's of September and October we have only used 0.1KWh from the Munic due to tidying up, CoC, running a Cat6 cable to the Raspberry Pi etc.
    However,
    the one problem that remains is the peak capacity of the Axpert. It happens from time to time that we use the oven (Killer SMEG) while the geyser is on and we make coffee or have a washing machine running etc. Nett result is a trip (auto restart is fortunately enabled). It therefor seems that the next step is going to be to add another Axpert in parallel (yes I know all about the requirements).

Overall we are extremely happy with our batteries seldom dipping below 80% SOC which means we can start appliances such as the dishwasher and washing machine at around 7am if we wish. I also accept that we will have some rainy days during the year when we might need to switch to the Munic supply, however we are topping up at R200/month and should have a nice balance for winter.

In conclusion:

Upside - we are 98%+ off grid
    more immune to electricity price escalation
    production of power even though it is cloudy - (much better than expected)
    overall happiness with our system - intangible but very important

Downside - cost of equipment
    batteries will have to be replaced over a period but by then new technologies will make storage far more efficient
    Axpert might need to be supplemented to cope with peak trips
    those unexpected rainy weeks (time will tell)

Will I do it again - yes
    Will I go grid-tied - other than financial cannot see the reason
    Estimated payback period without price escalation 4.5 years based on historical consumption

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wims_za For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wims_za View Post
    So here is my tuppence since I started this thread

batteries will have to be replaced over a period but by then new technologies will make storage far more efficient
    What lifespan have you estimated your batteries to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    What lifespan have you estimated your batteries to be?
    Conventional wisdom says 10+ years depending on how well you treat it.

According to the specs: 6000 cycles @ 90% dod, 50% capacity retention. This translates into 16.4 years

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wims_za For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wims_za View Post

Will I do it again - yes
    Will I go grid-tied - other than financial cannot see the reason
    Estimated payback period without price escalation 4.5 years based on historical consumption
    Thanks a stack for all the valuable information on your system that is performing well. Just out of interest what power use say per month are you getting from the PV side that you used for the payback of 4.5 years?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5