DEBATE: Pajero vs Land Rover - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Default Re: DEBATE: Pajero vs Land Rover

Hi Chris, that's a 2013 Landrover Discovery D4 HSE 5.0 V8 petrol, showroom condition, with Harmon-Kardon klankstelsel and Rear entertainment and side steps as extras, with 115k on the odometer. FSH with Landrover and extended warranty with Landrover until August 2020. He wants R385k for it. Contact me if you'd be interested than I'll get you in contact with my brother. He is in Melkbosstrand.

From what I could gather the 2013 model onwards had the timing chain issues resolved which was the only problem bothering the D4 V8 models. The Landrover guys are free to chip in, it would be interesting to hear their comments. The fuel consumption on the V8 is the obvious concern, however it seems to be quite frugal on the open road. I'm just as surprised with the consumption on my V8 Jeep, which seems to be between 9 and 10l/100km if one behave. Obviously a different story in town driving, so one's gotta see if it fits with your driving profile.

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Default DEBATE: Pajero vs Land Rover

Hi Chris,
    I am going to be the lone voice that says D4.
    Do your homework and shop around. I bought a 2010 D4 Diesel with 160k on the clock in 2016. Bought an extended warranty and a Service plan from Motorite for 3yrs.
    Service covered all my services in full at LR Dealership. Had excellent service for LR Waterford. Service plan covered the cambelt service which was less than I had been made to believe. Had 1 warranty claim for air compressor for the suspension. Did my gearbox 2 weeks ago st ZF in Edenvale for R38k.
    Sitting on 262,000km and love my D4.
    As I said do your homework and find the best deal possible if you do opt for the D4.
    Roy
    Last edited by royjacobs; 2020/06/28 at 07:30 PM.

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

I'm trying to figure out how listening to other people's subjective views make the resulting choice rational?
    Last edited by faniedup; 2020/06/28 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Context

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

I'll be the one guy that says don't do the D4. Just to add some balance. I repeat, don't do it.
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    “I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.”

I have owned both. I seriously miss my D2 (TD5) with its comfort, space and fuel efficiency. The Paj's power and reliability wins in the end though!
    Steve
    Jetta 2.0 TDI 2012
    Pajero 3.2 SWB 2009
    Jurgens Xcape
    Discovery II TD5 2004 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Please note the Op's reference to Pajero SPORT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    So what? The drivetrain's the same as a Gen3.
    Jens, the Pajero Sport 3.2 as in the Triton is a common rail engine, the PS has a different 4 speed geabox and other drivetrain components ie rear suspension differs quite a bit. I don't think one can compare the cars if one has to be honest.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    ... flatter me ... !

Mmmmm ...., let me think

This thread is starting to look like the Covid19 thread..

To the OP, please just get the Pajero so we can find something else to argue about !

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

As Long as its a Defender (the others arent worth the trouble) then you dont have to worry about that what is it Mitsubishi

Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    Of the choice between the Land Rover and the Pajero, I will take the Patrol every time.

The older Y60 4.2 square shapes 4.2 Petrol go for anything between R65 k to R100 k, the Y61 4.5s go for around R125 k and the 4.8s go for anything from R140 to R600k, depending on year model.

The 4.2 diesels in Y60 and Y61 models are becoming extremely scarce and can fetch guite high prices. The 2005 and earlier 3.0 diesels are best left alone, their ECUs were wrong for local conditions. The later (2006 and later) Y61 3.0 diesels are going for anything from R150 to R500 or more for the last models.

Patrols last forever, unless neglected or molested, most will do 1 million kms if looked after and serviced regularly.

Your options are wide with the Patrol range and maintenance will not even come into the equation. You may even one day pass it on to your son!! (LOL!!)

I will now sit back and wait for the fireworks from the unconverted heathens and naysayers.....

LOL!

LOL!

LOL!

Try as they may, they will not be able to prove my facts wrong.

Just read Petri's post on Greens and Olive, his two recent purchases of two 4.5 Patrols at very affordable prices. He was not exactly a Patrol fan, but today, after owning and driving these two, he is a total Patrol convert.

Ask him for his opinion....
    Nooo!!!

Pajero.

Ek was die heel naweek gestraf deur te moes patrol ry. Hulle is vrek stadig, moes gister n graad 4 roete uit idle.

Patrols is nie regte 4x4’s nie. Het nie eens traction control nie.

Ek sal nooit enige persoon aanraai om n patrol te koop. Nooit.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Decided. Pajero it is and will be vs the LR.
    thanks all for their input. Much appreciated and hopefully will meet up soon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisWright For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWright View Post
    Decided. Pajero it is and will be vs the LR.
    thanks all for their input. Much appreciated and hopefully will meet up soon.

Fantastic vehicles - enjoy!

My 1st comment on this community ever.

Im a Defender person. If you even have to debate this then LR is not for you. Its a passion and a lifestyle. Others that dont own them or never have just cannot understand this Defender thing. Its not for everyone, and yes I know you are looking for a FL2.

I have never owned a Pajero but they seem good value and decent reliable cars. Go for that! And best of luck.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to GJW For This Useful Post:

FWM

I've had a Pajero LWB DiD 3.2 new since 2004. It's got 260k on the clock. Besides batteries and tyres I had no issues until early this year with a gearbox failure caused by a HelloPeter gearbox numpty place doing a service that put in the wrong g'box ATF which cost me R47000 to repair.

Had another Pajero LWB (3.8 petrol) car while in Egypt for two years. Best off-road vehicle for desert or rock climbing. 100k in the desert and the Sinai - no issues.

Awesome SUV as most of the driving has been to parks and off-road. My wife has used the vehicle in KTP, Botswana, Namibia and Zim by herself with the kids when I have been away overseas. Never an issue except once a flat in Keetmanshoop.

But as for anything mechanical like a 4x4 if you look after it, it will look after you.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicbas For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWright View Post
    Hey all.

So the hunt is on for a vehicle. Opinions by yourselves (the experts) are truly welcome.

Some may remember about 18 months ago I was driving a LR F2 and had the opportunity of buying it (81k mileage - think it was a 2011) and your guys input was extremely valuable. In the end - decided not to take it and to be honest was a small blessing at the time.

The hunt is on again, and looking to replace with a good vehicle, thatÂ’s lasts. IÂ’m basically more interested in the engine, and getting the maximum out of it, whilst of course looking after it.

I like Land Rovers - but always have had a vision and belief that the best place for a Land Rover is on the back of a flatbed. When there seems to be an issue, ITS AND ISSUE, and not something a bush mechanic could sort out stuck in the middle of the Kalahari with a welding torch, acacia thorns and some dung. And landy issues seem to be helluva expensive.

The question is simple - LAND ROVER or PAJERO SPORT.

Pajero 2008 to 2012 ish. A friend suggested they Pajero as he bought an older one and loved it.

PS - IÂ’m a Toyota fan, or maybe was.

Any pertinent info on service related costs at minor / major intervals and other areas to look out for - please let me know, and any particular year / engine to look out for?

Thanks, and hopefully can join you gents in KZN for a little get together in near future.
    Hi Chris,

I can answer his for you. I have owned both.

I went from a Grand Vitara to a Freelander 2 and loved it. Car was smooth, powerful and capable enough for mild trips. On the highway it was the best car I have owned, ever. I never got to overland with it for 2 reasons:

1) The Freelander simply doesn't have the space. I couldn't fit my fridge in the back. and when you do, there is no space left for anything else. Roof racks only go so far.

2) Its great on dirt roads, even a weekend out at De Wildt, it's massively capable on a short trip. But, would I bash it around Moremi for 2 weeks. No. The car is finicky. Had a couple of electrical issues. every now and again gearbox would limp etc etc. And say what you want, it is still a small SUV. its meant to do it.

I bought a Defender for the overloading stuff, but hated it on the road. You can't go from comfortable cruiser to a donkey. Yes, it is a lifestyle, yes it is the coolest car I ever owned, yes I still want one, but when 10 hours to get to the Kalahari becomes 15 hours with little aircon, stupid uncomfortable seats and the dodgy safety, for me it was not worth it.

I then bought a Gen4 Pajero and I am loving it. I can cruise at 120, load it to the hills and still have enough capability for when I want to play. I am an overlander, I have no need to prove that I can climb level 7 rocks every weekend and have nothing to prove. And for that the Paj is perfect. And I trust it. Any car can break, but I don't find myself listening to a clunk sound and wondering what's going to break. Parts haven't been an issue and if you're willing to drive, there are very passionate Mitsu expert workshops.

I would only let it go for another Paj or perhaps a sport.

Apart from my Amarok, the most comfortable all rounder I have ever owned.
    2015 Mitusbishi Pajero 3.2 DiDc Exceed
    2018 Jimny 1.5 GLX (The wife doesn't let me drive it...)
    2014 Suzuki GV Summit Auto (still the best car I ever owned)
    2013 Land Rover Freelander II
    2013 Land Rover Defender 110 Melville and Moon
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2011 Suzuki Jimny

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Francoisvdw For This Useful Post:

ok just a spanner again.
    my experience, not related to the two brands mentioned, but i think this speaks to the Pay vs older Patrol dabate.

I bought a brand new Hilux a couple of years ago, loved it, did a couple of trails and trips, but a mate of mine had an old 80 Cruiser, and i saw how that handled trails and travel, size and comfort.

So at the time i traded my 2 year old Hilux for an 9 year old Cruiser. I think a similar logic Malcholm is suggesting here.

Now i must add, that the Cruiser never did big mileage as a daily driver, and when the daily commute increased, i purchased a cheaper lighter commuter and kept the Cruiser for proper travelling.

Today 13 years later i still think it was the best decision i could make. The value of vehicle and amount i had to spend on maintenance and fuel included, it is an absolute no brainer. I know my vehicle is good for many many years to come still, i can do hard and tough labor. In fact i am planning to retire with my Cruiser.

I can not and do not want to replace it with anything else that will do for me what i want it to do. It is old but that also makes it more useful, i love it and care for it, but i do not worry too much to load the dog, a dirty bicycle, the odd thorn scratch down the side etc.

I think the long and short at the end of it all is how much KM's you are going to travel in which way. As a daily commuter with big distances, the older vehicle will be heavy and fuel expensive, if the commute is not big, mine was 12km's no problem.

This thread is proof that most guys only read the heading and maybe the first two lines of the first post..

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6