Discovery 3 Disco 3 handbrake failed - looking for recon unit

Default Disco 3 handbrake failed - looking for recon unit

So my Disco’s handbrake unit failed. Started off by getting stuck, I had to pull the release cable in order to drive, and after that it wouldn’t engage anymore. Just a loud whirring noise from the control module.

I took it to my local Indy, he tried getting a recon replacement from a local LR guru in Helderberg, turns out that unit worked twice and also failed.

A new unit costs around R17k from LR. My warranty plan covers a max of R7000.

Is there anyway I can get a recon unit somewhere for less than R17k? The indy claim they called all the known LR parts suppliers near them and none had in stock

Help?
    Cheers

Default Re: Disco 3 handbrake failed - looking for recon unit

Quote Originally Posted by Discoverie View Post
    So my Disco’s handbrake unit failed. Started off by getting stuck, I had to pull the release cable in order to drive, and after that it wouldn’t engage anymore. Just a loud whirring noise from the control module.

I took it to my local Indy, he tried getting a recon replacement from a local LR guru in Helderberg, turns out that unit worked twice and also failed.

A new unit costs around R17k from LR. My warranty plan covers a max of R7000.

Is there anyway I can get a recon unit somewhere for less than R17k? The indy claim they called all the known LR parts suppliers near them and none had in stock

Help?
    Cheers
    I am going to give my opinion, having never removed nor opened the EPB unit, but having used mine a lot, and having adjusted and worked with it a lot.

I think that the big work is removing the unit. That, you have to do anyway. Once its off, you can open it up and reset it, or have a look at what parts are broken. If the release cable was pulled, once you open it up that part is easy to reset.

So I would say get the indy to take the unit off and open it up, then take it from there.

My experience is that mostly the EPB complains because its not properly adjusted at the brake drum end.

Hope that helps.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

My opinion is you should avoid cars with crap parking brakes.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I have seen repair kits that have the nylon gears that strip on the internet. Google and I'm sure you will find.

Pity you so far away. They are easily repairable