Nissan Qashqai surprise

Default Nissan Qashqai surprise

I grew up with Nissans in the SSS, 1200. 120Y, Skyline era. My first car was a Pulsar 1400 of the humming drive train variety which served me very well since I drove the hell out of it. I then had a Langley and Sentra. That ended in 1990 and I lost interest in Nissan cars and Nissan in general. Their vehicles just never drew my attention and I was directly involved with two other manufacturers which would put me into competiton with Nissan in any case.

To make a long story short, my Tiguan had to go in for service this morning and I asked one of the girls at the office to pick me up at the workshop on her way to work.

She has recently purchased a new Qashqai diesel and boy oh boy am I impressed! Or rather surprised. What a nice vehicle! The interior is certainly on par if not better than the Tiguan. It's solid, well made and quiet on the road. Every mod con you need (and don't need) and very spacious. I'd consider it a worthy opponent to the Tiguan at a much better price.

I obviously cannot comment on reliability, service etc but on first impressions I was pleasantly surprised.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Nissan Qashqai surprise

Was is the 1.5 DCI manual?

I got myself 1.6 DCI the other day, really happy so far.

The CVT slight lag on pull off, but when it is off its silky smooth!
    2014 Nissan Qashqai 1.6 DCI Acenta CVT (NAVI +Leather)

Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel123 View Post
    Was is the 1.5 DCI manual?

I got myself 1.6 DCI the other day, really happy so far.

The CVT slight lag on pull off, but when it is off its silky smooth!
    Yes manual diesel
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2020/06/29 at 10:56 AM.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

My uncle bought the 1.2 Petrol turbo manual just over a year ago. So far no issues. I drove it once. What a great drive. I immediately regretted buying the Honda CRV and not a Qashqai.

Very happy with me 1.2T manual. Have done 43k km since new and other than a squeaky drivers seat that was replaced under warranty nothing has gone wrong. My average consumption according to the onboard is 6.7L/100km of which 95% is in town, very short distance driving.

Did a 1 000km holiday trip with three adults and luggage and even though I was expecting it to struggle it happily cruised at a set 129km/h and consumed an average of 7.6L/100km.
    2017 Nissan Qashqai

I have the 1.6dci cvt.

Lovely vehicle, only issue is the pull away "lag" but that is a usual thing with electronic throttles, the CVT just adds the few milliseconds, of course the diesel usage is not close to what they claim.
    I have also noticed in traffic where you basically just touch the throttle it's like it does not know what you want to do so it shivers a bit, thats also contributed to the electronic throttle.

Other than that, it is absolutely beautiful on the highway.

One bad thing for all the new diesels is the DPF, that scares me and the qashqai is in such a position that you cannot just remove it easily, then there is all the software issues if you manage that.

I briefly owned a first gen 2008 2.0 n/a Petrol Qashqai.

I was really really impressed with the vehicle, the seats were amazing and it was at it's happiest cruising well above the speed limit.
    Current: 2013 Honda Insight Hybrid CVT
    Ex:
    2005 Volvo XC70 2.5T Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2011 Volvo XC60 D5 AWD Geartronic

Quote Originally Posted by Kix View Post
    I briefly owned a first gen 2008 2.0 n/a Petrol Qashqai.

I was really really impressed with the vehicle, the seats were amazing and it was at it's happiest cruising well above the speed limit.
    Colleague of mine owns the same model. 420k odd km on the clock.

I had the second gen 2011 2.0l Petrol Acenta and had around 160k on it in 2019 when I sold it. What a lovely car, solid build quality, reliable and loves the long open roads! Also had no problem with “middelmannetjies” because of the 200mm ground clearance, the newer ones has less, but still decent clearance. Only sold it because I emigrated, but would’ve replaced it with a new Qashqai had I stayed. I would say they are on par with their competitors from Germany in all respects, and I like the looks.
    Regards
    Jannas

Nissan Terrano II 2.7 TDI - 2000 - ex
    Nissan Qashqai 2.0 Acenta (petrol) - 2012
    Nissan 1400 Champ - 1996

Quote Originally Posted by Jannas View Post
    I had the second gen 2011 2.0l Petrol Acenta and had around 160k on it in 2019 when I sold it. What a lovely car, solid build quality, reliable and loves the long open roads! Also had no problem with “middelmannetjies” because of the 200mm ground clearance, the newer ones has less, but still decent clearance. Only sold it because I emigrated, but would’ve replaced it with a new Qashqai had I stayed. I would say they are on par with their competitors from Germany in all respects, and I like the looks.
    So are you back in Pretoria (based on you location in your signature)? Why did you come back? It would be interesting to know, seeing as you only emigrated sometime in 2019...
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2020/07/05 at 05:53 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)