Transporter Project advice. - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Transporter Project advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JAPster View Post
    Hi Jason.

Hope you have many enjoyable miles with your bus.

Do you mind giving me an indication of the price for the BFG's. I recall them being quite a bit more than all the other AT brands available when I fitted the Goodyears in 2017.

I bought my bus with 109000kms on and seemed like it was still running on the original shocks. I replaced them with Koni Heavy Track in the beginning of 2017 and are very happy with them. I will get them serviced in the next year or so. Could not get Koni Raid for the T5 at that stage and not sure if it is available.

Also decided to fit Powerflex bushes at the same time as I bought everything from the importers and they did the fitment for me as well.
    Thanks! Koni Raid are going through some kind of certification as I understand, so will update the forum as info comes out.

The set of four BFs were R15800 from HiQ, fitted. The fifth was not in stock, so waiting for that.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Willemse For This Useful Post:

Default Transporter Project advice.

B-pillars blacked out with original Volkswagen textured vinyl. Makes a big difference to the looks of the vehicle.

Last edited by Jason Willemse; 2020/07/03 at 09:27 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Willemse For This Useful Post:

Ctek battery management installed, just waiting for 2nd battery. Charge point installed for 2nd row passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Willemse View Post
    Ctek battery management installed, just waiting for 2nd battery. Charge point installed for 2nd row passengers.

That is cool. I might steal that idea.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Did you buy from VW?
    B-pillars blacked out with original Volkswagen textured vinyl. Makes a big difference to the looks of the vehicle.

2016 Ford Ranger
    2006 Sharan TDi
    2003 Discovery TD5
    2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (sold)
    2006 Sharan 1.8T (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by vanniekerk View Post
    Did you buy from VW?
    When I purchased my previous amarok, ordered a few meters of the product. It is available on order by Avery Denison through Intamarket Pty Ltd.

Frontrunner rack and ladder done!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Willemse For This Useful Post:

Frontrunner rack and ladder done!
    That ladder looks brilliant! I assume it was a custom job or was it actually on Frontrunners product list?

WHen I bought mine I searched kigh and low for a ladder and in the end fitted an old one that I got for nothing with some modifications. Accessories for these buses in South Africa is few and far between, so it would be great if Frontrunner actually make one for the bus.

CATS
    PS - I must say you don't let the grass grow under your feet with these changes!! Enjoy
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Great news all... itís now a stock frontrunner product made for the T5 and T6.

Great news all... itís now a stock frontrunner product made for the T5 and T6.
    Furthermore... apparently the owner of frontrunner has just taken delivery of a T6 Ocean... expect some interesting developments soon as he develops for his own.

Word is that vans are getting rather popular!

I really like that ladder, and Front Runner has stock...I may have to spend a little cash soon.

I have an Outback roofrack on my bus, and wish the Front runner full length version was a little easier on the pocket, as I have a few of their accessories which don't seem to be compatible with my rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2007 Volkswagen T5 4Motion

Right... time to do the 2nd battery. Iím going underseat on the drivers side - slightly more space than the passenger.

Measurements indicate itís going to be tight... but doable!

Trimmed away the thick rubber flooring exactly around the battery bracket. Sikaflex glued, and riveted.

Worked out neatly so far.

With foam insert...

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    I really like that ladder, and Front Runner has stock...I may have to spend a little cash soon.

I have an Outback roofrack on my bus, and wish the Front runner full length version was a little easier on the pocket, as I have a few of their accessories which don't seem to be compatible with my rack.
    Yeah I have to admit... the whole frontrunner install was a bitter pill cost wise... but Iím very pleased with it.

Most surprising - the lack of any wind noise. In all my previous vehicles where I had used frontrunner racks, some wind noise was evident.

Watching your battery installation closely too. I have 2x 105AH deep cycles that I need to fit somewhere.
    4xfagger no. GP0048

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    Watching your battery installation closely too. I have 2x 105AH deep cycles that I need to fit somewhere.
    105ís... afraid those are a little too big to fit underseat. You will have to look at options under the third row.

Damn, got excited there for moment. Have also been looking to use a wolfpack or similar to build a semi-portable (it'll be moerofa heavy) power pack with the batteries, inverter, charger etc all together, that can just plug into the bus somewhere. Still have to climb underneath it to see where I can route cables etc.

Will probably be removing the third row of seats to make space for a draw and bed setup. Alternatively might remove both rows of rear seat and replace the back one with a rock & roll bed frame.
    4xfagger no. GP0048

Enjoying being along for the ride.

Right... time to do the 2nd battery. Iím going underseat on the drivers side - slightly more space than the passenger.

Measurements indicate itís going to be tight... but doable!

Trimmed away the thick rubber flooring exactly around the battery bracket. Sikaflex glued, and riveted.

Worked out neatly so far.

With foam insert...

Some info that will hopefully be of use to someone in the future.

If you are considering fitting a second battery in your T5/6 without mods such as lifting the seat higher, then the only battery I found to fit is this:

Discover Dry Cell EV512A-70.

With dims of 278(L)x175(W)x190(H) - it fits perfectly!

There may be others... but not that I could find, online or elsewhere.

A little fridge lid mod.

Default Transporter Project advice.

Some more pics as I go. Added a stainless steel bumper protector at the rear.

Also a little bit of bling on the front grill. Stainless steel grill slats, as well as a bonnet protector. All products from Omtec SA - very impressive quality.

The frontrunner awning also received a little mod, by fitting a full length LED strip light inside the internal aluminum extrude. A separate cable simply plugs between the vehicles auxiliary power and the strip... and there was light!

All internal cabin lighting also replaced with LED bulbs, making for a far better lit interior.

And thatís it so far. Electrics are basically done for what my needs are. The next couple of weeks bring about window tinting and the removal of the interior roof liner and panels for a custom audio install. Lots of sound deadening, four speakers in the roof, and a newly upholstered hood liner.

Thatís the last of the interior modifications before we start with leather upholstery. Much in mind... but at the moment Iíd love to do something along these lines.

Last edited by Jason Willemse; 2020/07/15 at 12:27 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Willemse For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast