Default Right-sizing an outboard motor

A conceptual question for opinions please.
    This is to make a decision in choosing the correct size outboard motor for a 6m pontoon boat.

What's better?
    - A smaller (30hp) outboard motor that works at (say) 80% power most of the time doing it's job, or;
    - A larger (60hp) outboard motor that works at (say) 40% power most of the time?

Experience comments and opinions will be appreciated.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Default Re: Right-sizing an outboard motor

You get a 40 and 50 between those
    A pontoon boat has a displacement hull so higher HP is not really needed but yes a 50-60 would be the better option.
    FJC - Just Cruising

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

PRA

Default Re: Right-sizing an outboard motor

Does the hull have an HP rating? I would tend to err on the high hp side but people use pontoon boats for skiing and tubing, and then for just puttering around. 6M is a big vessel so I assume you are more about puttering around given the HP range you are looking at.

A small motor working hard is going to be quite busy if you are pottering about looking at birds and things. You may well find this irritating quite quickly. Also will you be using it on a river estuary with fast currents or in a dam? 30Hp sounds really, really small for a 6m vessel as you are normally in the 150-200ho range for an 18ft boat.

I will say look at 4 stroke if at all possible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

PRA