T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?





Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,173
    Thanked: 500

    Default T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Hi all
    I just had a look on the app store, the version history say the T4A Navigator app had its last update more than a year ago. Does T4A still maintain this app or has it been forgotten? All reviews are also very old and quite bad.

    A while ago I got the idea that T4A will move more focus to the app since dedicated GPS units are going out of fashion. I have a outdated SD card version of T4A, but no longer have a workable Garman GPS. Since I don't use T4A very often and Google maps is my tool of choice for daily city use, I don't want to buy a new Garman just for using T4A maybe once per year plus I have a perfectly working iPhone and iPad.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    40
    Posts
    162
    Thanked: 145

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Completely agree and I'm in the same position. I have an old Garmin that I haul out of the cupboard when I need to use Tracks4Africa but its not a great experience (screen is small and low res). For day to day navigation I use Carplay together with either Google Maps / Waze / Apple Maps.

    I am struggling to justify spending R13k on a new Garmin Overlander when I would only use it to take advantage of Tracks4Africa once or twice a year. If I was running Tracks4Africa I would be putting all my time and energy into focusing on producing an excellent Apple / Android app with support for Carplay / Android auto. That's where the future is.
    2015 Land Rover Defender 110 (Sadly sold )
    2020 Land Rover Defender 110 (On order )
    Website: www.africanrover.co.za
    Instagram: african_rover
    Twitter: african_rover

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulMark For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,462
    Thanked: 362

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Hi all
    I just had a look on the app store, the version history say the T4A Navigator app had its last update more than a year ago. Does T4A still maintain this app or has it been forgotten? All reviews are also very old and quite bad.
    I got this answer end of April from Lizette:

    Bikermice & Oradb69,

    Are you perhaps using Apple devices? I just found out that it was only the Android app that updated in February, our developer has started on the update for Apple, and it should be released in the next few weeks - no confirmed date yet.

    Apologies

    Lizette
    www.lani4travel.com

    Louis Le Grange

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    595
    Thanked: 640

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    I use the T4A app. I actually prefer it over T4A on the Garmin (as I only have a Nuvi and you loose a lot of detail on that).

    The interface is tricky to get use to in the beginning but once you're used to it I find it works well. It has one bug that is annoying (no re-centre function) but I believe this is being sorted.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christoff For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    155
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Hi Christoff

    Can you use the app to do route planning?

    The route planning for the downloaded version is via Basecamp. I have a Garmin Montana which gives sufficient detail but it is a really clunky experience

    I would far rather get rid of the Garmin and only use the app but my understanding is that you lose detail and you canít do route planning?

    Makes you think T4A have some agreement with Garmin ...
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    595
    Thanked: 640

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    You can but it also takes some getting used to. I found the way you create a multi-point route a bit strange in the beginning. See attached pics; here's a basic CKGR (North to South) trip. Being T4A it had all the camps and POI's I needed.

    I still use Basecamp as well but I also find it painful to use and I'm not crazy how Garmin routes (albeit I'm no Garmin expert though)



    Quote Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
    Hi Christoff

    Can you use the app to do route planning?

    The route planning for the downloaded version is via Basecamp. I have a Garmin Montana which gives sufficient detail but it is a really clunky experience

    I would far rather get rid of the Garmin and only use the app but my understanding is that you lose detail and you canít do route planning?

    Makes you think T4A have some agreement with Garmin ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	577251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	884.3 KB 
ID:	577252  

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    155
    Thanked: 95

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Christoff View Post
    You can but it also takes some getting used to. I found the way you create a multi-point route a bit strange in the beginning. See attached pics; here's a basic CKGR (North to South) trip. Being T4A it had all the camps and POI's I needed.

    I still use Basecamp as well but I also find it painful to use and I'm not crazy how Garmin routes (albeit I'm no Garmin expert though)
    Ive heard that they are updating the Apple version of the app at the moment so Iíll wait till itís released before I try it.

    Its good to know that you can still do a route plan though. Thanks for the feedback.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyageur For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,173
    Thanked: 500

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Quote Originally Posted by oradba69 View Post
    I got this answer end of April from Lizette:

    Bikermice & Oradb69,

    Are you perhaps using Apple devices? I just found out that it was only the Android app that updated in February, our developer has started on the update for Apple, and it should be released in the next few weeks - no confirmed date yet.

    Apologies

    Lizette


    It's almost July now and 4 months later, Apple usually approves apps in anything from 24 hours to 7 days, clearly their developer hasn't been doing much.

    Also doesn't give much confidence that their entire team only realized 3 months later that their Apple app didn't get updated, this tells me not one of them is actually using / testing the Apple app.

    I'm sorry but updating a fairly new app with so much potential and a lot of room for improvement from what I read, only once or twice per year isn't going to cut it. A app like this needs constant development, constant improvement and not only a map update once or twice per year.

    T4A team if you are reading this, you have a awesome product but now isn't the time to stagnate, please put more effort in to your mobile apps, as said above apps which can run on Apple Carplay or Android auto is the future. GPS devices like Garmans are going out of fashion very quickly and so will your product if you don't innovate.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    56
    Posts
    2,462
    Thanked: 362

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    Still waiting for ios update
    www.lani4travel.com

    Louis Le Grange

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    36
    Posts
    311
    Thanked: 89

    Default Re: T4A Navigator iPhone app any good, it seams outdated?

    If only you can Import your planned routes from basecamp into their app it would be so much better.

    I have Purchased all of their products, but a garmin.
    Android auto and apple carplay is the future of Navigation.
    Would really be a step up from t4a to make their Map available to be able to upload your planned Basecamp map into the T4a Navigator.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •