Kgalagadi to Mabua road prep. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kgalagadi to Mabua road prep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    I have bought all the equipment a couple of times upgrading. The more I overland the more I realise I use a spade and snatch strap almost exclusively. The strap to pull out other vehicles and the spade for all sorts of things incl digging out other vehicles. My most important equipment that I would never go without for off roading is a compressor.
    Agreed. I havent been recovered in years. When I started offroading I got myself stuck a few times, as I got more experienced, I stopped getting stuck. Last time I got couldnt clear an obstacle I simply let the tyres down more and went through. I do however like to go prepared. Rather have and dont need, than need and dont have.

It sounds like I wont have any problems listening to experienced towing travellers. I might just take a hi-lift jack and sandbags to place under a stuck wheel.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage

17 Ranger Supercab Tdci (Sold)
    97 Defender 90 CSW 2.8i (Sold)
    04 Defender 110 d/c p/u Td5 (Sold)
    04 Discovery 2 Td5 GS auto (Sold)
    97 Defender HCPU Tdi (Sold)
    99 Discovery 2 TD5 GS (Sold)

Default Best tent pegs for Kgalagadi

We've been twice; 2007 sleeping in the back of my old Colt in all three main camps and Mabuasehube and 2009 treated by someone to Kieliekrankie and Kalahari Tented Camp. Thus we haven't had to use tent pegs during either visit and it's been more than ten years since we've been. This time we're taking an Echo Kavango I bought last year and will need to use tent pegs. We're booked in December in all three main camps and if borders open want to go to Mabuasehube again. Will my Maxcon type pegs work or do I need to buy sand pegs?
    Chris Smal

Colt Trailbuster 2400i - sold 2014
    Ford Everest LTD - bought 2014
    Toyota RAV4 VX platkar - bought 2018

Default Re: Best tent pegs for Kgalagadi

Quote Originally Posted by Baas View Post
    We've been twice; 2007 sleeping in the back of my old Colt in all three main camps and Mabuasehube and 2009 treated by someone to Kieliekrankie and Kalahari Tented Camp. Thus we haven't had to use tent pegs during either visit and it's been more than ten years since we've been. This time we're taking an Echo Kavango I bought last year and will need to use tent pegs. We're booked in December in all three main camps and if borders open want to go to Mabuasehube again. Will my Maxcon type pegs work or do I need to buy sand pegs?
    in over 30 years of going to the kalahari, i have never needed anything more than a decent steel tent peg... no fancy gimmics.
    the ground in the campsites is compact and in places rocky. Agrimark sells decent pegs at reasonable prices.
    i sincerely hoping you not camping in a dune field, cos then you may need to take more than just tent pegs with... 😂🤣

Robin
    2010 Mitsubishi Triton 3.2 D ID D/C P/U
    Kitted out and ready for an African safari....

Plenty of people miss their share of happiness, not because they never found it, but because they did not stop to enjoy it....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Terorris For This Useful Post:

Just to follow on from this; what is the Mabua-Kaa track like? Used much?

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Just to follow on from this; what is the Mabua-Kaa track like? Used much?
    Which one, the cutline?

If so, straightforward. Was able to maintain 50-60km/h in January this year, not towing.
    Last edited by RobH; 2020/07/13 at 08:17 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Which one, the cutline?

If so, straightforward. Was able to maintain 50-60km/h in January this year, not towing.
    Thank you. I do not know that area at all so just theoretical and the trail I noted is the one noted as the Mabua-Kaa Trail in T4A and includes Koi Pan just north of the Mabua - Nossob Trail and running north west. I'm guessing the cutline is the dead straight section (duh) running north west from about Mabua Camp 3? It isn't noted as a cutline on T4A.

But you answer how to get from Mabua to Kaa I guess.

Mabua-KAA

Hi,

Same here. We drove this cutline track in Dec last year. Had been recently graded and was such a breeze that we arrived at Kaa gate completely missing our intended over night stop . The sand was a non event and it felt like a freeway. Obviously it deteriorates again though and the sand tracks get thicker. The cutline is your only option, the other track that shows up on some maps is very overgrown.

Enjoy, one of my favourite sections of the trip that cutline road

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Mabua-KAA

Hi,

Same here. We drove this cutline track in Dec last year. Had been recently graded and was such a breeze that we arrived at Kaa gate completely missing our intended over night stop . The sand was a non event and it felt like a freeway. Obviously it deteriorates again though and the sand tracks get thicker. The cutline is your only option, the other track that shows up on some maps is very overgrown.

Enjoy, one of my favourite sections of the trip that cutline road
    Thank you; I so wish I could go tomorrow instead of possibly in a years' time; all things being equal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2