The mighty new 2021 Fortuner - Page 2

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: The mighty new 2021 Fortuner

My 3l D4D with a chip did 147kW and 495Nm. Every one said that this was evil and I would blow the motor, never did. Ah well they have caught up finally.

Quote Originally Posted by PUW View Post
    Very impressive from a already impressive vehicle, still sets the standard in medium suv's. Selling at a ave of 800(600+ more than it's closest rival's) a month it's no brain breaker on what to buy if you're in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    My 3l D4D with a chip did 147kW and 495Nm. Every one said that this was evil and I would blow the motor, never did. Ah well they have caught up finally.
    You are comparing your chipped vehicle with the std new one? You actually need to compare your chipped vehicle to a new chipped model in this respect, not so?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    You are comparing your chipped vehicle with the std new one? You actually need to compare your chipped vehicle to a new chipped model in this respect, not so?
    Umm.. nope why? He has the same power and torque (nearly) from the 1KD with no reliability issues, meaning those looking to upgrade their cars due to the power gains alone not need waste their cash, let them chip as he did and it will all be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Umm.. nope why? He has the same power and torque (nearly) from the 1KD with no reliability issues, meaning those looking to upgrade their cars due to the power gains alone not need waste their cash, let them chip as he did and it will all be safe.
    I was referring only to capability when chipped, as that is what the statement implied. ($ etc was not mentioned, it was a pure power figure comparison in this context) So apples with apples, chipped with chipped.

Default Re: The mighty new Facelifted 2021 Fortuner

So Toyota is FINALLY going to overtake an engine that was in the humble 2014 Chev Trailblazer 2.8. Sitting at 144kw and 500Nm.
    Toyota "Lead the Way"......7 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav.S View Post
    So Toyota is FINALLY going to overtake an engine that was in the humble 2014 Chev Trailblazer 2.8. Sitting at 144kw and 500Nm.
    Toyota "Lead the Way"......7 years later.
    How’s the Trailblazer selling now?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Can you still get spares?

2012 Sport FJ Cruiser "Black&White RiceBowl"
    1986 Hilux DC 4x4 "White RiceBowl"

Agteros - you should stick to your rice bowls! - HGBosch

What’s a Trailblazer?
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

What are you insinuating

What are you insinuating
    Can I buy a new one in SA right now?

Can I buy a new one in SA right now?
    No. You know. Because Chevrolet decided to pack their bongo's. Does not detract from the fact that the Trailblazer was/is a great vehicle and the 2.8 mill being a gem. Sorry if OT.

My partner purchased a 2.8 GD-6 a few months ago - he is fairly peeved that he could have waited a few months for the upgraded motor - if he had known. I spend a lot of time in his vehicle and can honestly say I do not see/feel the need for more power. But I also know extra horses always brings a smile.

You Toyota guys must enjoy the upgrade - I am sure it will be fun to drive and especially towing should even be easier.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    You Toyota guys must enjoy the upgrade - I am sure it will be fun to drive and especially towing should even be easier.
    Very unlikely. I don't think such a small upgrade will produce any fireworks.

What's even more absurd is that the Prado still has the 3.0 which will be 100Nm less.

And to add insult to injury the South Africans pays an elevated price for the old tech when compared to other countries with the new engine. Disgusting.

What's even more absurd is that the Prado still has the 3.0 which will be 100Nm less.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Perhaps not for too long anymore:

​​Toyota Land Cruiser Prado gains Hilux's uprated 2,8 GD-6 unit in Japan
    Toyota in Japan has rolled out the refreshed Hilux’s uprated 2,8-litre turbodiesel engine to the Land Cruiser Prado range.Just like it does in the updated Hilux, the GD-6 oil-burner now offered in the Prado in Japan makes 150 kW and 500 N.m.

So, can we expect a similar move here in South Africa? Well, this latest news lines up neatly with comments Toyota South Africa Motors made to CARmag.co.za back in August 2019.
    At the time, the Japanese company’s local arm confirmed to us it planned to offer the Prado with the 2,8-litre turbodiesel from its popular bakkie, but only at the end of 2020. The launch date, however, seems likely to be pushed into 2021 thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic.

We’d speculate the 2,8-litre oil-burner will replace the 3,0-litre unit (worth 120 kW and 400 N.m) that currently powers three of the five variants in the local Prado line-up. The current range, which was last updated locally in November 2017, also includes Toyota’s 4,0-litre V6 petrol engine.

Based on earlier reports, we furthermore expected the tweaked Land Cruiser Prado to gain Apple CarPlay and Android Auto functionality.
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/08/06 at 07:03 PM.

The D4D in the Prado was not so bad in terms of performance, in comparison with the current 2.8 in the hilux. Maybe the reason why SA will only get the upgraded 2.8 in the Prado. The 2.8 in the hilux was however an improvement on the D4D that was in the hilux in terms of performance.
    Johan Kriel

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Toyota SA, “My dear fellow South Africans... you will buy what we give you and not what we give others years before you”
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    The D4D in the Prado was not so bad in terms of performance, in comparison with the current 2.8 in the hilux.
    I believe the 2.8 is also quieter and more fuel efficient.

Maybe the reason why SA will only get the upgraded 2.8 in the Prado.
    There is an all new Prado 180 coming in 2022. I doubt Toyota will give ZA the 2.8 upgrade in 2021 with an all new Prado arriving shortly thereafter.

The 2.8 in the hilux was however an improvement on the D4D that was in the hilux in terms of performance.
    But inherently this issue of the Prado using exactly the same motor as the Hilux always bothers me, because it's a rip-off for the Prado customer. First, the Prado being heavier will always be the performance underdog given the identical power and torque in the 2.8. Imagine a Hilux outpacing a Prado VXL from standstill at a robot or while overtaking...

Secondly, Prado being a premium product, should either have a more refined motor, at least a 6 cylinder, or if similar to Hilux , made much less noisy and tuned to offer at least 50% more performance. Like 180kW, 600Nm. The way a proper Land Cruiser should be.

I believe the 2.8 is also quieter and more fuel eff.

Yes it is correct , but the 3l D4D in the Prado has better or equal torque over most of the rev range than 2.8 , because of the flat torque curve which I am saying the current 2.8 is not really an upgrade in the Prado. Yes a 600Nm machine in the Prado would be nice.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/08/07 at 06:58 AM.
    Johan Kriel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast