Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Default Re: The mighty new 2021 Fortuner

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=k5fSv3...P_mNPIYD8GSmBw

Ronny Dahl’s review of the new Fortuner. Unbiased, educated opinion in my view
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 AT - Shadowfax
    Bush Lapa - iKewer - Dogmatix

I took the new uprated 150 kW Fortuner for a test drive this morning. It is a big difference from my current 2.8 GD6 Hilux. I disn’t expect much but am impressed.

The engine is actually almost completely new and not just “tuned”. New bottom end, cylinder head and turbo. Even the throttle body is different. Much smoother and way more responsive. It should have been like this from the start.
    I was planning to go for a V6 Hilux but might reconsider
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    I took the new uprated 150 kW Fortuner for a test drive this morning. It is a big difference from my current 2.8 GD6 Hilux. I disn’t expect much but am impressed.

The engine is actually almost completely new and not just “tuned”. New bottom end, cylinder head and turbo. Even the throttle body is different. Much smoother and way more responsive. It should have been like this from the start.
    I was planning to go for a V6 Hilux but might reconsider
    Tell us a bit more Francois..
    how is the ride?
    Is it still as jittery as the outgoing model?
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Tell us a bit more Francois..
    how is the ride?
    Is it still as jittery as the outgoing model?
    Hedge, I didn’t take it on a dirt road, but it feels much better than my previous FT. Still firm though.

Much more refined overall though.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The mighty new Facelifted 2021 Fortuner

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Socks View Post
    Sad it does not have blind spot mirrors and auto rain sensors.
    Auto rain sensors and lights are superfluous anyway. You are driving, you can see the rain and dark. Why the #+*" don't you flip up the wipers or turn on the lights yourself?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Agree with you here. In my new Corolla I have auto lights but you can't physically switch it off (only has auto, park and manual on, wth?). The sensor is way to sensitive. Looks like a disco driving underneath bridges.
    Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Auto rain sensors and lights are superfluous anyway. You are driving, you can see the rain and dark. Why the #+*" don't you flip up the wipers or turn on the lights yourself?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Hopefully i'll be able to get the deal right to trade in my current Fortuner for the new 2.8 4x4 AT.

Collected my new Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 on Friday. Must admit, i'm quite enjoying the added power and feel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Fortuner.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	616478

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Collected my new Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 on Friday. Must admit, i'm quite enjoying the added power and feel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Fortuner.jpg 
Views:	394 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	616478
    Nice. Enjoy your new ride. I imagine it must be quite responsive with the 500Nm. I hope NVH and ride have also been improved. Is the JBL system a good improvement over stock? Does it have speakers in 3rd row compartment.

Nice. Enjoy your new ride. I imagine it must be quite responsive with the 500Nm. I hope NVH and ride have also been improved. Is the JBL system a good improvement over stock? Does it have speakers in 3rd row compartment.
    Thanks, Yes, It is a lot more responsive than the previous gen. The cabin is quite a bit quieter, ride comfort however feels the same or a bit harsher, but could be a 4x4 thing as I have not owned a 4x4 before. Unfortunately the SA models do not get the JBL system which is a bummer as I would have loved that aswell. The sound system is as average as you can get. Would really love to upgrade that if I can at all. Its the standard 6 speakers, so 2 tweeters on the upper doors, 2 mid ranges on the front and rear doors. The new infotainment system though has quiet a lot of features, like screen mirror, Sat NAV, Android Auto (albeit you need to connect using a usb cable).

Overall though, i am pretty happy with the refinement added to this model. There is a noise coming from the back, sounds like a glass bottle inside a cup holder bumping now and then, but they will have a look at that when they collect the car to fit on the new tyres.

Thanks, Yes, It is a lot more responsive than the previous gen. The cabin is quite a bit quieter, ride comfort however feels the same or a bit harsher, but could be a 4x4 thing as I have not owned a 4x4 before. Unfortunately the SA models do not get the JBL system which is a bummer as I would have loved that aswell. The sound system is as average as you can get. Would really love to upgrade that if I can at all. Its the standard 6 speakers, so 2 tweeters on the upper doors, 2 mid ranges on the front and rear doors. The new infotainment system though has quiet a lot of features, like screen mirror, Sat NAV, Android Auto (albeit you need to connect using a usb cable).

Overall though, i am pretty happy with the refinement added to this model. There is a noise coming from the back, sounds like a glass bottle inside a cup holder bumping now and then, but they will have a look at that when they collect the car to fit on the new tyres.
    Congrats on the new model. Check the compartment in the side wall of the boot, where the car jack is. Mine was bumping around in there - I wrapped in a cloth, and all good.
    ./______________________\
    |___________(.)__________|
    {___---"\_FORTUNER_/"---___}
    |........................................|
    [_2.8 GD-6____________.4x4_]
    .\______________________/
    ..||||||______________||||||
    _|___|______________|___|__

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeHawk For This Useful Post:

because accidents are caused by those who are not you
    Jaco S.

Ah OKK... Enjoy it. Some things Toyota does that annoy, like providing Android auto + carplay with no wireless access to it, yet many cheap stock aftermarket units have it. And why can't they stick 2 speakers in the 3rd row... On a flagship model.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    Congrats on the new model. Check the compartment in the side wall of the boot, where the car jack is. Mine was bumping around in there - I wrapped in a cloth, and all good.
    Thank you, will def check this.

Ah OKK... Enjoy it. Some things Toyota does that annoy, like providing Android auto + carplay with no wireless access to it, yet many cheap stock aftermarket units have it. And why can't they stick 2 speakers in the 3rd row... On a flagship model.
    Yeah, fully agree. Even the rear "climate" control doesn't do heat, only cold aircon. Then there's also quite a few small nigglies that only comes on the VX model now of which there's no stock anywhere in the country. The daylight running lights on the VX is a nice light that runs at the bottom of the headlight, The rear indicators are the long ones in the middle of the rear light, etc... So a bit annoyed that they didn't include these cosmetics at least on the 2.8 4x4 as a basic. I can understand the adaptive cruise control and lane departure assist etc not being included but i just could not justify an extra R60k for these cosmetics.

I'm patiently waiting to try the offroading capabilities. Don't want to try now without the tyres that were part of the deal. So hopefully next weekend will attempt a run at Hobby Park.

So I got to try out the off road 4x4 capabilities a bit. Drove up Sani pass in 4H. Friend of mine only told me afterwards I should have gone up and back down in 4L as I didn't got above 10km p/h and in 4L it just puts very little strain on the gearbox as you most drive in 1st and 2nd gear all the way up. Road is very rocky and bumpy so one cannot drive at speed. Must say for me it was a breeze going both up and down the pass with the 4x4. No struggles at any point nor any spinning. Vehicle just climbed with very little help from the accelerator paddle on my part.

Now I just need to try it out on some proper beach/desert sand and see how it performs on those surfaces. Hopefully this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chino For This Useful Post:

So I got to try out the off road 4x4 capabilities a bit. Drove up Sani pass in 4H. Friend of mine only told me afterwards I should have gone up and back down in 4L as I didn't got above 10km p/h and in 4L it just puts very little strain on the gearbox as you most drive in 1st and 2nd gear all the way up. Road is very rocky and bumpy so one cannot drive at speed. Must say for me it was a breeze going both up and down the pass with the 4x4. No struggles at any point nor any spinning. Vehicle just climbed with very little help from the accelerator paddle on my part.

Now I just need to try it out on some proper beach/desert sand and see how it performs on those surfaces. Hopefully this weekend.

Glad you enjoyed it!

The Fortuner is very capable - have a look at my Youtube channel to see where I have taken mine.

So far it has been the vehicle I had that I have enjoyed the most.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by Bogaards View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it!

The Fortuner is very capable - have a look at my Youtube channel to see where I have taken mine.

So far it has been the vehicle I had that I have enjoyed the most.
    Thanks, Yes I've subscribed to your channel, love the vlogs. Super useful info aswell.

@Henk, please let me know which place you used to fix on recovery points to your Fortuner if you did.

Thanks

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9