Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned





Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,370
    Thanked: 530

    Default Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    My wife and I visited Pilansberg National Park yesterday.
    We drove around the park for 6 hours.

    We entered at 09h00 via Bakubung gate and travelled the North West Moloto Drive.
    We saw our first animal just after 11am - a single Red Hartebeest.
    Total number of various antelope seen for the whole day - around 100.

    Lots of baboons at Mankwe Dam.
    Along Mankwe Way Five Elephant, one Giraffe and one Rhino (lying down, looking very sad, took his GPS location to give to the Rangers but could not find anyone to report the matter to on the way out, all offices at Manyane Gate empty and locked).

    All the tarred roads we travelled on are in terrible condition, potholed all the way.
    Gravel roads are in a worse condition, many of them barely passable and others with rocks and trees/bushes pull across them to close them off.
    In many places big dongas across the road. Cars needed to turn around as they could not get through.

    This very sad day for us reminded us of the many derelict parks that we have been to over the years in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

    The birding, however, was exceptional and delivered a lifer for us that provided one bit of happiness in an otherwise sad day.
    I hope that ours was just a bad day out, but somehow I don't think so.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanked: 3297

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    My wife and I visited Pilansberg National Park yesterday.
    We drove around the park for 6 hours.

    We entered at 09h00 via Bakubung gate and travelled the North West Moloto Drive.
    We saw our first animal just after 11am - a single Red Hartebeest.
    Total number of various antelope seen for the whole day - around 100.

    Lots of baboons at Mankwe Dam.
    Along Mankwe Way Five Elephant, one Giraffe and one Rhino (lying down, looking very sad, took his GPS location to give to the Rangers but could not find anyone to report the matter to on the way out, all offices at Manyane Gate empty and locked).

    All the tarred roads we travelled on are in terrible condition, potholed all the way.
    Gravel roads are in a worse condition, many of them barely passable and others with rocks and trees/bushes pull across them to close them off.
    In many places big dongas across the road. Cars needed to turn around as they could not get through.

    This very sad day for us reminded us of the many derelict parks that we have been to over the years in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

    The birding, however, was exceptional and delivered a lifer for us that provided one bit of happiness in an otherwise sad day.
    I hope that ours was just a bad day out, but somehow I don't think so.
    We here in Rustenburg like the park as it is. We are hoping that the tar road gets even worse.

    But unfortunately they are busy with road repairs and have done most of the south eastern and south western gravel roads.

    Unfortunately they are battling with poachers from the surrounding communities
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    HONEYDEW
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,653
    Thanked: 1477

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    We here in Rustenburg like the park as it is. We are hoping that the tar road gets even worse.

    But unfortunately they are busy with road repairs and have done most of the south eastern and south western gravel roads.

    Unfortunately they are battling with poachers from the surrounding communities
    Is there a reason why you like the messed up roads.

    Does it keep us stads japies away?

    Do you feel like your 4x4 worked when it rides on a broken tar road?

    Does it stop the poachers?

    Help me understand?

    On a more serious note I would love to see game numbers of the various reserves because it does feel like game numbers is dropping.
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,332
    Thanked: 750

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Perhaps just a bad day? We stayed at Shepherds Tree earlier this year and commented on the prolific wildlife. The rangers viewed the park as over populated. They said that there are over 8000 animals in the park.

    I must say the concentrations wildlife seems to be in the wilderness areas.

    Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    George
    Age
    67
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 88

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    PRA , post #1, which bird was the lifer plse??
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4
    RAV4 VX
    Armadillo Shack caravan

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanked: 3297

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Is there a reason why you like the messed up roads.

    Does it keep us stads japies away?

    Do you feel like your 4x4 worked when it rides on a broken tar road?

    Does it stop the poachers?

    Help me understand?

    On a more serious note I would love to see game numbers of the various reserves because it does feel like game numbers is dropping.
    Hannes
    Relax man
    There is some truth to my post but I was actually being a bit silly in reaction to the OP

    The roads are truly not as bad as stated above.

    And it is a great park with many animals. Stuff you do not see every day in other parks.

    The days of perfectly maintained roads and daily graded gravel roads are very much a thing of the past in all of our parks. And this is one of the reasons why I/ we drive high clearance vehicles, is it not?
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Harties
    Posts
    1,370
    Thanked: 530

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by Drik View Post
    PRA , post #1, which bird was the lifer plse??
    Hi Drik,

    It was a Violet-eared Waxbill that we saw at the Mankwe hide parking.
    On the way out of the park they were dripping off the trees - amazing.
    As for Fork-tailed Drongas - there were literally many hundreds of them, and I'm not exaggerating - just before Manyane Gate.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    59
    Posts
    344
    Thanked: 207

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    HEDGEHOG, If the roads are not improved the park will close ! Rustenberg will not and cant keep the park going ............. Borakalolo is a typical example of ill managemt and incompetance .... the same will happen to Pillanesberg......., I wold not consider Pillanesberg a wilderness experience like BiviaansKloof (EC) it is a quick outing and weekend break away ....

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:


  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanked: 3297

    Default Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    HEDGEHOG, If the roads are not improved the park will close ! Rustenberg will not and cant keep the park going ............. Borakalolo is a typical example of ill managemt and incompetance .... the same will happen to Pillanesberg......., I wold not consider Pillanesberg a wilderness experience like BiviaansKloof (EC) it is a quick outing and weekend break away ....
    You did read my whole post nè?

    The part where I explained that they were actually working on the roads?

    no the park will never close because of its roads, the park will close because of the lack of animals those roads have been MUCH worse before.

    But why are you here if you want tar roads?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/06/20 at 07:25 PM.
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    41
    Posts
    116
    Thanked: 127

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    My biggest concern with this park and hlulhuwe imfolozi, both good parks. Lack of animals is an issue. I am certain bush meat incursion is now rife.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,409
    Thanked: 3297

    Default Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by natand View Post
    My biggest concern with this park and hlulhuwe imfolozi, both good parks. Lack of animals is an issue. I am certain bush meat incursion is now rife.
    There are more than enough animals in Pilanesberg. You seem to be just making an assumption
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/06/20 at 07:28 PM.
    _______________________________________
    Dum vivimus, vivamus!
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    PTA
    Posts
    49
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    The issue with the tar road condition is a massive headache, there are issues with the contractor that started the recent repairs and seems to have done a runner now. Money is the single biggest issue for the park, it disappears just like anything else that is not privately owned in this country.

    Quote Originally Posted by natand View Post
    My biggest concern with this park and hlulhuwe imfolozi, both good parks. Lack of animals is an issue. I am certain bush meat incursion is now rife.
    My last trip to the park I saw Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Leopard, 3x Brown Hyena and more plains game than I could count just on my drive in from Bosele/Manyane gate to camp down Tshwene Drive. The game is there, sometimes just hiding away. There is an abundance of it of it and in some cases a slight over population. You must also keep in mind that there are only a limited number of roads accessible to the public and the wilderness section is around a third of the park in size which is not accessible to anyone. Doing fence patrol or having to go into the wilderness area for work you see a lot that is not normally seen.

    Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Along Mankwe Way Five Elephant, one Giraffe and one Rhino (lying down, looking very sad, took his GPS location to give to the Rangers but could not find anyone to report the matter to on the way out, all offices at Manyane Gate empty and locked).
    During the week you will not find any of us park officials driving around as we work weekends only and the park rangers/staff have so much other more important work to do instead of driving around the park all day. The rhino are also quite scarce lately due to the de-horing project, and I don't blame them. Only report rhino sightings to park management/officials if it has a horn or is visibly injured. All are supposed to be de-horned, but due to the size of the park there may be a handful that have slipped through the process.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    HONEYDEW
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,653
    Thanked: 1477

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by plakkie View Post
    The issue with the tar road condition is a massive headache, there are issues with the contractor that started the recent repairs and seems to have done a runner now. Money is the single biggest issue for the park, it disappears just like anything else that is not privately owned in this country.


    My last trip to the park I saw Elephant, Rhino, Lion, Leopard, 3x Brown Hyena and more plains game than I could count just on my drive in from Bosele/Manyane gate to camp down Tshwene Drive. The game is there, sometimes just hiding away. There is an abundance of it of it and in some cases a slight over population. You must also keep in mind that there are only a limited number of roads accessible to the public and the wilderness section is around a third of the park in size which is not accessible to anyone. Doing fence patrol or having to go into the wilderness area for work you see a lot that is not normally seen.



    During the week you will not find any of us park officials driving around as we work weekends only and the park rangers/staff have so much other more important work to do instead of driving around the park all day. The rhino are also quite scarce lately due to the de-horing project, and I don't blame them. Only report rhino sightings to park management/officials if it has a horn or is visibly injured. All are supposed to be de-horned, but due to the size of the park there may be a handful that have slipped through the process.

    I love the park and there sure is elephant galore and once you know some of their habits sightings become easy. Rhino is also abundant.

    I have not been that successful with the cat sightings but always enjoy it.

    The badly maintained roads is, as said before, a reflection on the management.

    I'm glad to hear that the seeming drop in game numbers is just a misconception.
    Dashfibre: , Get Connected! If your complex wants fibre please contact us.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:


  18. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    70
    Posts
    6,490
    Thanked: 1288

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Been asking on their forum for years and years to just rip up the tar.....was great when we started FOPS in the early 80's.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Ford Figo 2016

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,647
    Thanked: 841

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    OP, I think maybe you just had a bad day. We were there last week, saw loads of animals, including a great cheetah sighting (not the cheetah and her family at the main dam, they’re always there).
    The roads have always been stuffed, I remember when I was a student they were stuffed already. The winter veld is never great I feel and it does make one a little negative, maybe that was it?

    On the one comment that rustenburg can’t keep it going by itself. I wonder. last week that park was absolutely packed, and it was just all us northwesters (and it was so pleasant and civilized I must say)
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    broederstroom
    Age
    75
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    My wife and I visited Pilansberg National Park yesterday.
    We drove around the park for 6 hours.

    We entered at 09h00 via Bakubung gate and travelled the North West Moloto Drive.
    We saw our first animal just after 11am - a single Red Hartebeest.
    Total number of various antelope seen for the whole day - around 100.

    Lots of baboons at Mankwe Dam.
    Along Mankwe Way Five Elephant, one Giraffe and one Rhino (lying down, looking very sad, took his GPS location to give to the Rangers but could not find anyone to report the matter to on the way out, all offices at Manyane Gate empty and locked).

    All the tarred roads we travelled on are in terrible condition, potholed all the way.
    Gravel roads are in a worse condition, many of them barely passable and others with rocks and trees/bushes pull across them to close them off.
    In many places big dongas across the road. Cars needed to turn around as they could not get through.

    This very sad day for us reminded us of the many derelict parks that we have been to over the years in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

    The birding, however, was exceptional and delivered a lifer for us that provided one bit of happiness in an otherwise sad day.
    I hope that ours was just a bad day out, but somehow I don't think so.

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    broederstroom
    Age
    75
    Posts
    40
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Pilansberg National Park - I'm very concerned

    Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    My wife and I visited Pilansberg National Park yesterday.
    We drove around the park for 6 hours.

    We entered at 09h00 via Bakubung gate and travelled the North West Moloto Drive.
    We saw our first animal just after 11am - a single Red Hartebeest.
    Total number of various antelope seen for the whole day - around 100.

    Lots of baboons at Mankwe Dam.
    Along Mankwe Way Five Elephant, one Giraffe and one Rhino (lying down, looking very sad, took his GPS location to give to the Rangers but could not find anyone to report the matter to on the way out, all offices at Manyane Gate empty and locked).

    All the tarred roads we travelled on are in terrible condition, potholed all the way.
    Gravel roads are in a worse condition, many of them barely passable and others with rocks and trees/bushes pull across them to close them off.
    In many places big dongas across the road. Cars needed to turn around as they could not get through.

    This very sad day for us reminded us of the many derelict parks that we have been to over the years in Mozambique, Malawi and Zimbabwe.

    The birding, however, was exceptional and delivered a lifer for us that provided one bit of happiness in an otherwise sad day.
    I hope that ours was just a bad day out, but somehow I don't think so.

    You must understand that the park has been closed for 3 months and no maintenance could be done in that period.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •