Home distilling rum - Page 5

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: Home distilling rum

Riaan jys seker nou bly jyt hierdie skill aan geleer?
    Willie

2000 Land Rover Discovery II TD5
    2020 Nissan NP300 2.5TDi S/C

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Riaan jys seker nou bly jyt hierdie skill aan geleer?
    Die Blond is nogal, ek drink mos nie

Ek wat besig is met in diepte ondersoeke aangaande fermentasies en geuring van rum besluit sy vroer nee wag sy wil liquorice in een van die mayernys bottels sit om te week. Spesiaal vir haar 'n pakkie van die regte licorice gister gekoop en nou is dit die flavour van die dag.

Sodoende probeer ek die tradisie navolg in my stille saligheid maar die hantie sy kom met ander planne tevore. Ek sal more woorde met haar moet deel.
    Last edited by Riaan van Wyk; 2020/07/13 at 07:54 AM.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Jy beter stook, ek is op pad met n trok die week noudat ek jou adres het

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kola View Post
    Jy beter stook, ek is op pad met n trok die week noudat ek jou adres het
    Gaaf, ek sal dan die Pajero se spaarwiel smous, ek soek al lankal 'n kettingsaag en sal een moet h om genoeg hout vir die vure wat gaan plaasvind te kan voorsien.

For those so inclined to use as an essence and colour, this is what half a finger of licorice looks like if left overnight. Not to my taste but what a sip of this reminded me of is Montego Rum, it seems to also have some notes of licorice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

Riaan our of interest did you try that burnt molasses and brown sugar mix I sent you the link to?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    Riaan our of interest did you try that burnt molasses and brown sugar mix I sent you the link to?
    I must have misplaced it Cole, can you send again please? Must mention that the flavours are developing with every new wash to the point of not wanting to add any flavour.

This guy does a sugar / molasses flavoring to a "vodka" base but can apply to any sugar wash base.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLN3wzaIg74
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    This guy does a sugar / molasses flavoring to a "vodka" base but can apply to any sugar wash base.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLN3wzaIg74
    Thanks Cole, as always so many different ways of doing things. However, I will hang my head in shame if I had to call this end result "Jamaican Rum" and, with a fancy label and all try pass it off as rum. It just is not.

I realise my opinion is pedantic and am very aware of new ways of doing things but, it perhaps has to be mentioned that there is a very long tradition of making this type of alcohol, bastardizing it for me doesn't sit well.

And please this is not a reflection on you posting this, I have learnt so much in the last few weeks that my head wants to burst. So many "aha" moments that makes me realise over and over that I know nothing and for a year or five at least will not know much more but I do know that I want to stay true to the real spirit of what rum is, out of respect for those who walked my footsteps many many years ago.

If I can't I won't bother, there is no point then, which is the reason I am having words with the missus and her licorice in my rum.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

So the guy in the video below made a "rum" but he made it and didn't distill it, he drank the wash once it was finished fermenting... interesting.
    I wonder if that is how the rum was back in the 1800's, that they drank the wash itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_ZTaTotzI
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

I got 5L Zambian Molasses today. The pure stuff before they add the supplements/nutrients to sell it in the agri shops.

Will mix it up on the weekend.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/07/17 at 09:28 AM.
    Kobus

17. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

We are also busy getting the stuff together to build a reflux column for the urn,which if all goes according to plan should be sorted in the next two weeks, just in time for the next batch.[/QUOTE]

Hi Riaan, I am in the planning stages of building a reflux column, would you mind sharing your plans, mine uses a 2inch copper pipe, and i dont know how effective that will be.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
    We are also busy getting the stuff together to build a reflux column for the urn,which if all goes according to plan should be sorted in the next two weeks, just in time for the next batch.
    Hi Riaan, I am in the planning stages of building a reflux column, would you mind sharing your plans, mine uses a 2inch copper pipe, and i dont know how effective that will be.[/QUOTE]

Hi David, assembly is happening this weekend, in fact one of the columns is being assembled today. We used 42mm copper with crossflow pipes in the top of the column and a liebig condenser. A rough drawing attached of what we are doing which hopefully will work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Riaan van Wyk For This Useful Post:

I sampled some of the second batch of molasses only rum which was fermented with backset and some of the previous ferment, with no yeast and the flavours are starting to develop nicely. From what I gather, by the fourth or fifth ferment in the same way, the flavours start getting even better.

Go on Riaan post the actual pics you know you want to
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    I got 5L Zambian Molasses today. The pure stuff before they add the supplements/nutrients to sell it in the agri shops.

Will mix it up on the weekend.

Interesting. As you might know, I have a very close connection to Zambia and its sugar, some of the highest yilds in the world and the purest. The molasses is a very good quality. We actually spread it over the roads around the mill to keep the dust down, so much of it there is and such a small market for it.

Can you tell me from which mill it came?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post
    For those so inclined to use as an essence and colour, this is what half a finger of licorice looks like if left overnight. Not to my taste but what a sip of this reminded me of is Montego Rum, it seems to also have some notes of licorice.
    RvW, I know you want to remain pure to the genre however, the Blonde might be on to something. If you see what has happened to Gin in the last couple of years in respect of 1) Craft Gins available; 2) Flavour profiles available.

The effect of this has been to increase the consumption of gin, particularly into segments that wouldnt touch gin. As with any new experience, this leads to exploration and a higher appreciation and again, further consumer experimentation.

Liqourice Rum and other specific flavours, might be the catalyst for a new industry, expanded market and eventually, a higher appreciation for the true to form products.

Just a seed of a scheme
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    RvW, I know you want to remain pure to the genre however, the Blonde might be on to something. If you see what has happened to Gin in the last couple of years in respect of 1) Craft Gins available; 2) Flavour profiles available.

The effect of this has been to increase the consumption of gin, particularly into segments that wouldnt touch gin. As with any new experience, this leads to exploration and a higher appreciation and again, further consumer experimentation.

Liqourice Rum and other specific flavours, might be the catalyst for a new industry, expanded market and eventually, a higher appreciation for the true to form products.

Just a seed of a scheme
    NEVER! Rum is for pirates, let everyone else drink that fancy schmansy gin
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2

27. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

Just a seed of a scheme
    Some valid points Estee.

...Can you tell me from which mill it came?
    No idea.

I got it from here. https://www.facebook.com/tholo.holdings/ .

During lockdown they couldn't get from SA so he managed a truck load from Zambia.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2020/07/17 at 12:24 PM.
    Kobus

30. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast