Pajero Sport 2012 - replacement vehicle?

Default Pajero Sport 2012 - replacement vehicle?

Howzit all

I know this has been asked continuously to mind numbing dimensions, but I would really appreciate the input. (as did the others),

I am currently in the market for a new(er) vehicle. My current 2010 4x2 2.0 DCi Xtrail (220 000km) is getting a bit long in the tooth. Sadly my budget is also looking a tad flat after undoing the mistake of saying "I do" to the wrong person 16 years ago. Any who... not being one to sit on the couch come weekends, I am looking for a capable off roader to take up to 2 adults and 4 kids (aged 8-11) out of dodge and into the rough regularly over the weekends/school holidays.

Most of the searches I have done, seem to point towards the overpriced/rated "blue balls hanging from my Towbar" Toyota Fortuner or the Pajero Sport, based on reliability and the number of seats required.

So whilst browsing the classifieds, I came across this 2012 3.2Di-D PJS with 166 000km on the odo for R199 000. I was wondering if anybody recognized the vehicle and / or could give me some pointers as to what to look at /for in order to make an informed decision.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200623-115409_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	448.1 KB 
ID:	576764 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200623-115424_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	364.9 KB 
ID:	576765

She is originally from the South Cape (George) and it belonged to an elderly gentleman who has sadly passed away. (Call me skeptical, but I don't know if this is a more colourful twist on the "Single old lady driver/owner" story.) Any who...he left the vehicles and the farm to his dear missus, ( enter old lady driver ) who feared the large car and thus it has been standing for a while. Judging by the service book, it has only done 3000km in the last 2 years (last serviced in Sept 2018).

From the rest of the service history, I can see the previous owner(s) were also a bit relaxed as 2 or 3 services were skipped / not recorded in the service book (even while under the service plan) If I look at my notes, the 40k and 100k km services were not recorded/done (servicing agent at the time was Imperial in George) and then it appears the vehicle was sold as the service agents change from 100k km (Service skipped/not recorded) to Indy's. MOTOBISHI carried out the 110k, 130k and the 140k services (140k done at 147k). The 120k was done by Rainbow Nissan in Grootfontein (I presume they were on holiday at the time) and the 154?k and 163?k was only done by CAR SERVICE CITY in George. (I only received pics of the service book stamps)

Considering the vehicle has done minimal km's in the last 2 years and there is no record of the 40k and 100k km services - Should I be worried ?

The next question is what next? What services should have been completed or completed in the last few services. With the 160k km service would it not have required the timing chain replacement / alignment etc again. is there some way of checking to see if this was done?

When inspecting the vehicle, what are the key factors I should be looking at / for to ensure this is not a lemon in a half baked meringue?

I am currently not in too much of a rush to buy, but don't either want to miss a good deal.

I Appreciate the input and comments and thanking you in advance .

The best day for fishing is when its raining and when it's not.

Default Re: Pajero Sport 2012 - replacement vehicle?

I also recently purchased a PS, I settled on a 2014 2.5 4x4 for 250k. You don't mention whether this one you're looking at is 4x4 or 4x2? At the time I was shopping around there really weren't many PS's around. But I'm still getting alerts from Autotrader and since then I've seen several nice ones ranging from R180k - R250k. You could probably pick up a slightly newer model than the 2012 with similar mileage for the same price. Especially if you're willing to go for a 4x2.
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

It looks like most of the important services were done by the right people
    There is not much to look for in the 3.2 other than maybe the steering coloumn issue (search here for it)not major but costs 5k or so to have fixed
    I know of one or two guys who have had issues with gearbox with poor spec oils used
    Suction control valves is also something you can look up here just to understand the issues it causes.
    Other than that this is a fair buy.
    If you maybe in the market for a triton bakkie then i know of a 2011 with the same kilos as the sport but i know the previous owner and its really well looked after.Selling for 189k at a dealer

Here are some nrs to take into account

I sold my 2010 Paj Sport 3.2 Auto in 2018 with 227 000 km on for R 220 000.
    I sold my 2010 Triton 3.2 Auto with 167 000 km on the clock in 2019 for R 185000

Hi,

That looks like a nice vehicle and the 3.2 did common rail motor is very reliable (my family and I have had 3 and not one has given a single engine problem and the kilos were/are 150k (sold), 252k(mine) and 380k(dad)). We've also had one 3.5 v6 Pajero that did 270k without problems.

This car will take you to all the off the beaten track places your heart desires. They are very good value for money and while some parts may be slightly on the expensive side they cost less to buy in the first place.

Is it a private sale? If you can't verify the story behind the owner then walk away. Any car can be destroyed by incompetent maintenance/owner and some sellers entirely lack a moral compass despite how convincing they may sound. I'm not entirely convinced by that service history. There are a few intervals of closer to 20k there and it's supposed to be 10k. Now that may be them forgetting to stamp the book but I'd have a closer look. Its not the end of the world if it lived on the tar and had good oils.

There are several good indies in Joburg and Cape Town area that specialize in Mitsu products and they'll maintain it for you at very reasonable prices.

I'd suggest you take someone with who knows mitsu products and go take a look. If you buy it service it immediately and do the 180k major service (expect to pay around 7K for that at an indie). The 3.2 did has a timing chain and lasts for a very long time (it's not a service item), but a good mech will check it regularly anyway.

Hope this helps,
    Cheers

40k and 100k services should have been done at the dealers under service plan still. When I bought my PS I found that some of the services were recorded in a different (smaller) service book that was also included with manual/service book documents of the car. All done by the same dealer though. Maybe the seller can check for you?
    Maybe worth giving Imperial George a call.
    Like somebody said before, give it a good service replacing all oils and not much that can go wrong.
    2013 Pajero Sport 3.2 MT

Quote Originally Posted by Hgl View Post
    40k and 100k services should have been done at the dealers under service plan still. When I bought my PS I found that some of the services were recorded in a different (smaller) service book that was also included with manual/service book documents of the car. All done by the same dealer though. Maybe the seller can check for you?
    Maybe worth giving Imperial George a call.
    Like somebody said before, give it a good service replacing all oils and not much that can go wrong.
    Dealers often forget to stamp the service book. Almost every single time I take my cars for a service I have to hand them the book and ask them to stamp it. So perhaps the OP can check with Mitsu if those services are on the system
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton D/C 2.4 manual 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 Auto 4x4
    1998 Mitsubishi Pajero SWB 3.0 V6 - SOLD
    2017 Ford Ranger XLS Auto 4x4 D/C - SOLD
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD D/C - SOLD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

cw1

Exact same vehicle as mine, very good powerful vehicle, all service items available from Midas, gearbox oil only use the Mitsubishi oil, the suspension bushes will be starting to go at that mileage and the arms are very expensive but you can replace just the bushes if you can get a workshop to press them out and press in new ones. I had to replace the gearbox selector switch which also seems to be a common problem and the clock spring which is also a common problem.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whatyamacallit For This Useful Post:

cw1

Just got that dreaded sms to say someone else has taken the vehicle....

The search continues....
    The best day for fishing is when its raining and when it's not.

Judging by the year model, I presume this is a 4x4 auto.

If the last service was done in 2018, I would see if you can get the dealer to get a decent service done as a condition of sale. Common issues to look out for would be the gear selector inhibitor switch (when it goes, the car can slip into N while you're driving, which can be both annoying and dangerous) and the upper control arm bushes wear out around this time, and you need to replace both arms. But really, I'm nitpicking here, as these are fantastic (and underappreciated) vehicles. I had a 2011 Fortuner some years ago, which was nice, but looking at the second hand value compared to the same year PS, doesn't make sense to me at all.

As with any older vehicle, maintenance is the key. Especially if you plan on keeping it for many years to come.
    Pajero Sport 3.2 donkey with some Stofpad protection and a software upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by cw1 View Post
    Just got that dreaded sms to say someone else has taken the vehicle....

The search continues....
    he who hesitates loses
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

There’s a 2011 with 106k mileage on autotrader now. Just seen it as also been watching the PS.

Let us (me) know how it goes as am very much contemplating a PS, even if older model as my budget a little less.

Had the opportunity to grab a Land Rover F2 with 81k on the clock for a good price - but my concern was ....... it has a landy engine 🙄

my search too ....... continues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D95ADF6-B50E-4420-9856-EB42AB0B1B0F.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	577017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D95ADF6-B50E-4420-9856-EB42AB0B1B0F.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	3.16 MB 
ID:	577017