To change rims or not, what is your experience like?

Default To change rims or not, what is your experience like?

Need your opinion, I drive a 2018 3.2 Everest Ltd and it came with 20” rims and 265/50/R20 tyres. I am considering changing to 18” rims due to the loss of a tyre on a dirt road (piece of slate rock stuck right through).

I mainly drive tar roads and was told the 18” with thicker profile tyres will drive softer. Speaking to guys at Ford and tyre fitment centres they say it won’t make much of a difference.

Those that has changed from 20” to 18” rims, what has your experience been? It doesn’t seem worth spending R35k when I drive maybe 10 times a year on dirt roads.
    Andre

2013 Toyota Fortuner D-4D 3.0 Raised Body A/T
    2015 Specialized Epic Elite MTB

Default Re: To change rims or not, what is your experience like?

If you only drive gravel roads 10 times a years, it doesn't seem like it's worth it, although the 18" will improve the ride.

What brand of tyres do you have on now? I've been going off-road with my RRS on the 255/55R20 Eagle F1s, and so far no issues (touch wood).
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Orxy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    If you only drive gravel roads 10 times a years, it doesn't seem like it's worth it, although the 18" will improve the ride.

What brand of tyres do you have on now? I've been going off-road with my RRS on the 255/55R20 Eagle F1s, and so far no issues (touch wood).
    The standard Good Year efficient grip it came with
    Andre

2013 Toyota Fortuner D-4D 3.0 Raised Body A/T
    2015 Specialized Epic Elite MTB

While increasing the sidewall height will definitely help, this quite possibly has more to do with the specific tyres you are using and the pressures you are using them at than with the rim size.

However, any change you make to reduce this problem will have a negative effect on road-holding on tar.

A higher sidewall moves around more, and stronger tyres are heavier, both of which will compromise on-road handling to some degree.

Given your usage case, I would just live with it.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Grandad use to run a Range Rover with 20'' rims and had endless issues when going to the farm on the short dirt road.

Swopped these for 19'' with higher profile and the rangie was more comfotable and never had issues again.
    Pieter Greyling
    ONE LIFE, LIVE IT!
    ORRA: Z85
    LROC member:5881

-Land Rover Defender 110 Td5
    -BMW F800GS

8. The Following User Says Thank You to pjf110 For This Useful Post:

How small a rim can your setup accommodate? Is it possible to go to 17" for a more substantial change?
    But yes, every step in that ditection is a step away from highway setup towards offroad setup.
    I went from 18" to 16" (but also with bigger overall wheel size) and the change is very noticeable in every aspect - which is exactly what I wanted, but maybe not what you would prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by andrek View Post
    Need your opinion, I drive a 2018 3.2 Everest Ltd and it came with 20” rims and 265/50/R20 tyres. I am considering changing to 18” rims due to the loss of a tyre on a dirt road (piece of slate rock stuck right through).

I mainly drive tar roads and was told the 18” with thicker profile tyres will drive softer. Speaking to guys at Ford and tyre fitment centres they say it won’t make much of a difference.

Those that has changed from 20” to 18” rims, what has your experience been? It doesn’t seem worth spending R35k when I drive maybe 10 times a year on dirt roads.
    I also drive a 2018 Limited, I changed to 18's with a bigger profile shortly after buying the vehicle but just wasn't happy with the ride and handling, just felt like there was too much body roll. I went back to 20's with 275/55/20 tyres, vehicle feels much better, and got a slight lift with the bigger profile. Only draw back is that the speedo now under records so you have to watch your speed.

I've been up Sani pass, drove on beach sand to Ponto Molongane and the sand tracks in Bilene. I don't do any hardcore off-roading but drive the gravel roads in the KZN Midlands often enough and no issues as yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Veez; 2020/06/22 at 08:21 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veez For This Useful Post: