Radial arm saw

Thread: Radial arm saw

Default Radial arm saw

Is it posssible and safe to use a metal cutting disk( normally used in an angle grinder) in my Delta Rockwell radial arm saw to cut 2 to 3 mm square tubing?. Not on a permanent basis.

Default Re: Radial arm saw

Check the allowed speed of the blade. Make sure the radial arm motor doesn't exceed that

I have a Adendorf cold cut saw. Even with a purpose made machine it's still a rather dangerous piece of equipment. If that tungsten blade grabs the work piece I would want to be close.

Mine did it once until a modified the clamping mechanism.

Thanks for the reply. Yes the workpiece will be clamped to the table to prevent flying objects. Any thing else i should know. Never one this before with tubing, only wood

I won't do it. Use the right tool for the job! Been there at a very tender age.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter Landy View Post
    Is it posssible and safe to use a metal cutting disk( normally used in an angle grinder) in my Delta Rockwell radial arm saw to cut 2 to 3 mm square tubing?. Not on a permanent basis.
    No, do not do it. You cannot keep pressure on the blade, it will bite and jump back and then break the blade. You need the press down and forward action of a cutoff saw.

Your cuts will in any case be neater if you use a large angle grinder.

Use the right tool for the job please!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:

Interesting question. but how would a carbide blade work instead of an abrasive blade. ?The delta radial does about 2500rpm and these carbide blades work within that range. I think a normal cutoof may run a bit too fast for these blades, Im not sure.

I would think these blades by nature of there design would cut relief as they cut.

Do you think they may work.?

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter Landy View Post
    Go for it. I recently cut 12 m of 50 x 3mm square tubing into pieces on my dewalt radial arm saw. Pull the motor towards you then clamp the steel to the fence and cut it by pushing the motor back towards the fence. This way it doesn't want to grab the steel.
    Neat and easy.
    Choose life

I quite often cut aluminium as well. In the same way but with a tungsten tipped blade.
    Choose life

Thanks guys. I will test it this weekend

I think on a cut off saw gravity is your friend,It will prevent the blade from jamming .But on a radial the table will prevent this.

A steel carbide blade cuts relief on the left and right sides of the blade . Thats why they are staggered, .I would rather see the speed of your radial and the recomended speed of a carbide blade rather than try an abrasive blade.I suspect a carbide blade cuts much cooler as well .You could also cut on a slightly raised under support which I think would help as the blade would be less likely to jam because the workpiece would naturally open up under its own weight .

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

I used to cut a lot of stainless steel pipe on a cut off saw.....had to reduce the blade speed (supplier specs) never had a problem