Engine transplant into D3





Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    45
    Posts
    307
    Thanked: 66

    Default Engine transplant into D3

    Hi.
    Just wanted to ask advice please.

    Any 2.7TDV6/4.4 V8 or TD3.0V6 engines for sale?
    How easy is it to marry the 3.0 diesel engine to the D3, or the V8 petrol for that matter taking into consideration the current D3 has a 2.7 in it.
    It is a 2008 HSE.
    ''​Luck favours the prepared man''

    Discovery 3 HSE - 2.7V6Tdi 2008 (Written off)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Posts
    142
    Thanked: 122

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Unless you have lots of time, expertise or money it would probably be best to just cut your losses and move on. I know it's not what you asked or want to hear at this stage but this quickly becomes a bottomless pit.

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    edenvale
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,467
    Thanked: 227

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Naguiltjie View Post
    Hi.
    Just wanted to ask advice please.

    Any 2.7TDV6/4.4 V8 or TD3.0V6 engines for sale?
    How easy is it to marry the 3.0 diesel engine to the D3, or the V8 petrol for that matter taking into consideration the current D3 has a 2.7 in it.
    It is a 2008 HSE.

    In simple terms for a seamless and oem style transplant

    more money than a non runner d3 is worth

    transplanting the petrol v8 will need

    petrol ecu
    gearbox, dashboard
    can electronics marry up so new key, then new door locks if you want key to match
    the petrol ecu must have same spec as the diesel chassis and and and

    then exhaust, fuel pump, radiator, transmission cooler and loads other different items

    thats why people put a lexus v8 in and live with the complications, and putting a lexus v8 in is about 70k and it doesnt then work like a land rover, add another 35k and it gets close

    rather dont is my humble answer, there are better ways to spend hard earned rands and a converted land rover with a dead engine isnt one of them

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,849
    Thanked: 14209

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Get a new sub assembly. Cheapest easiest and fastest.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    279
    Thanked: 157

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Get a new sub assembly. Cheapest easiest and fastest.
    What he said.

    Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual (Loaded)
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    'One life-Make a difference"

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanked: 510

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    if you want to keep the vehicle a new sub directly from Landrover is the only way. Any form of repair will end in tears.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    45
    Posts
    307
    Thanked: 66

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Thank you guys.

    Good advice.
    I don't have a snapped crank. Got my wheels stuck over the edge of a dam after sliding in slow motion on the brown snot due to 7 days of rain earlier this year...
    We suspect whilst waiting for someone to snatch me out, water leaked into probably the intercooler pipe and when I turned the engine it sucked up the water. The front wheels were just half deep into the water and rear wheels on land. How is that for bad luck.

    I have asked a quote from Remtec as I will need the full engine as in most probability conrods might be bent etc.
    I'll ask LR Nelspruit today what their new cost is for an engine for interest sake.

    Do you think fitting a 3.0TDV6 is viable
    ''​Luck favours the prepared man''

    Discovery 3 HSE - 2.7V6Tdi 2008 (Written off)

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,562
    Thanked: 522

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Naguiltjie View Post
    Thank you guys.


    I have asked a quote from Remtec as I will need the full engine as in most probability conrods might be bent etc.


    That will also end in tears

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    48
    Posts
    1,131
    Thanked: 510

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Naguiltjie View Post
    Thank you guys.

    Good advice.
    I don't have a snapped crank. Got my wheels stuck over the edge of a dam after sliding in slow motion on the brown snot due to 7 days of rain earlier this year...
    We suspect whilst waiting for someone to snatch me out, water leaked into probably the intercooler pipe and when I turned the engine it sucked up the water. The front wheels were just half deep into the water and rear wheels on land. How is that for bad luck.

    I have asked a quote from Remtec as I will need the full engine as in most probability conrods might be bent etc.
    I'll ask LR Nelspruit today what their new cost is for an engine for interest sake.

    Do you think fitting a 3.0TDV6 is viable
    the 3.0 will fit however making the electronics work is not gonna happen. If you wanna sell it as is gimme a price
    Last edited by MikeBob; 2020/06/15 at 10:09 AM.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,849
    Thanked: 14209

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    That will also end in tears
    yes

    @Naguiltjie:

    Listen to MikeBob.

    He has the T-shirt. With the oil stains.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    45
    Posts
    307
    Thanked: 66

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    yes

    @Naguiltjie:

    Listen to MikeBob.

    He has the T-shirt. With the oil stains.
    Thx. Ja, one does not want to struggle with numb cold hands in the current winter...
    ''​Luck favours the prepared man''

    Discovery 3 HSE - 2.7V6Tdi 2008 (Written off)

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,184
    Thanked: 200

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by Naguiltjie View Post
    Thank you guys.

    Good advice.
    I don't have a snapped crank. Got my wheels stuck over the edge of a dam after sliding in slow motion on the brown snot due to 7 days of rain earlier this year...
    We suspect whilst waiting for someone to snatch me out, water leaked into probably the intercooler pipe and when I turned the engine it sucked up the water. The front wheels were just half deep into the water and rear wheels on land. How is that for bad luck.

    I have asked a quote from Remtec as I will need the full engine as in most probability conrods might be bent etc.
    I'll ask LR Nelspruit today what their new cost is for an engine for interest sake.

    Do you think fitting a 3.0TDV6 is viable
    You really only have 2 workable options, and both has the same guy involved: Mikebob!

    Either sell it to him or get him to drop a new motor into your car and drive it home.

    I have been to Mike's workshop a few times and there has been quite a few Disco's for new engines through his facility. I recon they have the basics figured out by now.
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

    Si vis pacem, para bellum

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to thabogrobler For This Useful Post:


  17. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    707
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    The end of the D3 is near, many are now off the road as they are no longer financially viable to repair, just this week I had to inform owner that their D3 was a gooner, blown motor caused by seized turbo through the failure of cracked turbo oil pipe which another workshop had interfered with.
    Then yesterday was nearly the same issue with a D4 but this turned out saved, there again turbo feed pipe also cracked due to another workshop interfering when they replace rear belt and do other things.

    These motors are not worth rebuilding due to cost and liability of failing as many have been stung by this route

    Symptoms of the turbo pipe issue is oil leaking down the bell housing although important to confirm its not from oil cooler on top which can easily be inspected.

    The 3.0 can be fitted into a 2.7 D3 but with the turbo setup from the 2.7 D3, the V8 petrol cannot as it uses a different bell housing and Ecu's
    In the UK the D3 was sold in 2.7 or 3.0
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,849
    Thanked: 14209

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by viperover View Post
    The end of the D3 is near, many are now off the road as they are no longer financially viable to repair,
    And yet many D1s and D2s are still happily driving around. Makes one think that maybe planned obsolescence is actually real despite what many people say.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  20. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    707
    Thanked: 19

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    And yet many D1s and D2s are still happily driving around. Makes one think that maybe planned obsolescence is actually real despite what many people say.
    Indeed, D1 and 2 are great vehicle regardless of capability, not sure which D1 you have but if a petrol 3.9 and having loads of issues with the efi or motor then get a complete v8 from a D2 ands transplant, inc wiring etc, you wont regret the transplant, just depends how its all going I guess

    If you have a TDi engine in the D1 the aftermarket parts for these motors are becoming problematic regarding quality
    30 years experience and knowledge certainly out weighs a 5min keyboard bashing on google
    Love's electrickery stuff and problems related to it as long as it dont go bang cos then its f......
    NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT
    A V8 is where thunder is made
    100%WEE

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,849
    Thanked: 14209

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    You miss the point.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Langebaanweg
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,729
    Thanked: 1190

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by viperover View Post
    If you have a TDi engine in the D1 the aftermarket parts for these motors are becoming problematic regarding quality
    OT, sorry, but not much to go wrong on the Tdi and some of the problematic stuff, like lift pump and vacuum pump, can easily be replaced by electric stuff that is much more reliable.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harare
    Age
    61
    Posts
    285
    Thanked: 110

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    And yet many D1s and D2s are still happily driving around. Makes one think that maybe planned obsolescence is actually real despite what many people say.
    So true Jelo. I would buy another D2 in a heartbeat. Td5 or V8.

    Having said that, 'my' old D3, American Spec, 4,4l V8, is now owned by my daughter and son-in-law, and lives in Washington State, USA. Still going strong, no mechanical issues, getting close to 300k MILES.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK


    Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Harare
    Age
    61
    Posts
    285
    Thanked: 110

    Default Re: Engine transplant into D3

    Quote Originally Posted by 3bar View Post
    In simple terms for a seamless and oem style transplant

    more money than a non runner d3 is worth

    transplanting the petrol v8 will need

    petrol ecu
    gearbox, dashboard
    can electronics marry up so new key, then new door locks if you want key to match
    the petrol ecu must have same spec as the diesel chassis and and and

    then exhaust, fuel pump, radiator, transmission cooler and loads other different items

    thats why people put a lexus v8 in and live with the complications, and putting a lexus v8 in is about 70k and it doesnt then work like a land rover, add another 35k and it gets close

    rather dont is my humble answer, there are better ways to spend hard earned rands and a converted land rover with a dead engine isnt one of them

    If the space and power of the D3 is not absolutely necessary, spend the money on a good D2, V8 or Td5. This, or a D1 are appreciating assets now...
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK


    Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •