Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hilux Gd6 Issues to be aware of all owners

Some issues I have noted on my 2.8 and it seems there are a few with the issue. I have come across another 4 from people I know and one has had to replace the head on the engine due to it..

First issue is the exhaust manifold gasket. I'm told the heat from the exhaust damages the head. Mine was blown, dunno how long it was like that but judging by the carbon buildup it couldn't have been for too long. I have seen 4 2.8's with the gasket blown. My 2.8 Fortuner is at 40k and still fine. I originally suspect the Degraaf exhaust had put strain on but the others all have stock exhausts. Dealer replaced the gasket under warranty no hassles.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9D531F80-6E24-4E44-A8DD-CE68E50F440A.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	575651

The next and bigger issue is the dust ingress into the air intake. The filter doesn't seal correctly, lets dust through, fouling the MAF sensor. Opened mine and exactly the same. Did some searching and aside from a custom airbox, I found that rubber grease on the bead of the filter and a good clean are the only options. I found cleaning the MAF sharpened throttle response dramatically.

Name:	6680FE9D-624A-4937-ACCD-8D7FD944B625.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	575652

Name:	15941FF6-2014-4180-9C16-07FAB034D201.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	575653

EDIT: Here is a YouTube on the same thing I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYo-ER4nCM&t=28s

Cant seem to post pictures. Ill gladly mail them to anyone. Got it working
    Last edited by Bryan Webber; 2020/06/14 at 07:35 PM.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd
    '19 Fortuner 2.8 Auto 4wd

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bryan Webber For This Useful Post:

Default Hilux Gd6 Issues to be aware of all owners

Bryan is this limited to the 2.8 or applicable to the 2.4 as well?
    Last edited by ADC4Fun; 2020/06/14 at 07:09 PM.

Default Re: Hilux Gd6 Issues to be aware of all owners

The dust ingress is the same in the 2.4. I checked a buddies 2.4 and there was a a layer of dust on the MAF.

BTW Make sure you use MAF cleaner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYo-ER4nCM&t=28s
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan Webber For This Useful Post:

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Thanks for this info Bryan!!!
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2020/06/14 at 08:00 PM.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

Lots of reports on the MAF issue on Aus forums etc. (I think there might be some threads here as well)

​​Toyota Hilux, Fortuner and Prado affected by air-intake system fault (Australia)

Do you have a snorkel fitted?

Ironically, the issue is amplified when the car is equipped with a snorkel, something fitted to the most off-road focused Hilux, the recently-unleashed Hilux Rugged X.

Snorkels are also typically fitted by off-roaders looking to drive through water or in dusty conditions (in the owner’s manual Toyota says the snorkel “is designed to provide cleaner air to the engine in dusty conditions”).

Toyota instructs owners driving in “extremely dusty conditions” to reverse the head of the snorkel and face it towards the rear of the car, something that requires loosening two screws.
    (I know a dealer from Namibia is also on the forum, perhaps he can add some info from his experience?)
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2020/06/15 at 07:57 AM.

I’ve ridden big adventure bikes off-road for 35 years and always put a layer of grease (whatever one is closest) on the sealing surface of the air filter, and was the first thing done to my hilux on delivery, never had dust in an intake.
    Toyota
    2019 Toyota 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Raider DC Auto

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Iggi For This Useful Post:

The dust issue is not that prevalent with normal use but we did have some issues on the mine vehicles , but with snorkels fitted we have actually found less of a problem but I assume that is because of low speeds driven on the Mine, Rubber grease does help a lot in this . The problem on the gasket is completely unknown to us here even with some 2.8 and 2.4s exceeding 250000 km, We have not replaced 1 of those gaskets to date and if I look at the Parts Data not 1 Dealer in Namibia carries it in stock, telling me that it is not really an issue .
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JWR View Post
    The dust issue is not that prevalent with normal use but we did have some issues on the mine vehicles , but with snorkels fitted we have actually found less of a problem but I assume that is because of low speeds driven on the Mine, Rubber grease does help a lot in this . The problem on the gasket is completely unknown to us here even with some 2.8 and 2.4s exceeding 250000 km, We have not replaced 1 of those gaskets to date and if I look at the Parts Data not 1 Dealer in Namibia carries it in stock, telling me that it is not really an issue .
    All the vehicles I've seen have been work/farm vehicles with the dust ingress as with exhaust gasket. It will be interesting to see how many surface on the forum.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    Lots of reports on the MAF issue on Aus forums etc. (I think there might be some threads here as well)

​​Toyota Hilux, Fortuner and Prado affected by air-intake system fault (Australia)

Do you have a snorkel fitted?

(I know a dealer from Namibia is also on the forum, perhaps he can add some info from his experience?)
    No snorkel fitted. After cleaning sand out my airbox with Luderitz to Walvis I may fit a snorkel before I go somewhere again.
    '18 Hilux 2.8 Auto 4wd

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bryan Webber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Webber View Post
    No snorkel fitted. After cleaning sand out my airbox with Luderitz to Walvis I may fit a snorkel before I go somewhere again.
    Just make sure the inner fender liner is still ok , since we had issues when the liner is damaged the front tyre tends to throw sand into the intake that is situated just above it.
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Have replaced my air cleaners from start with GUD filter. The dust come thru the Toyota filter. Same problem on D4dProblem solved. Yes also use grease on filter

Hi Guys, nothing to do with the Gd6 but more to do with Toyota. Toyota seems to have an issue with fixing design problems by doing nothing until the next iteration or model comes out. I had a Forerunner (1990) with a V6 3.0ltr petrol engine. After about 125,000km it blew a head gasket. After many efforts to fix it by my engine guy it turns out that the heads had a design fault. There was an area towards the rear of the engine where the spacing between a water tube and an oil tube that was way too narrow. And the head gaskets had the same small spacing and blew usually over 100,000km. Of about the 6 head gaskets only one make was found with a wider spacing to seal better.
    I found the following information after the event -
    1. Toyota knew about the problem because they issued a recall in the US (only as far as I could find out). I am presuming that the US was the only place because that was the only location where Toyota felt they would end up with a class action if they didn't deal with it.
    2. With this particular V6, used over many years, my engine guy had dozens of trucks in with the same problem. The petrol engine got a bad reputation because of this.
    3. Turns out that it wasn't so much a case of would you have this problem but when.
    4. So any V6 that hadn't had a fix would only be a matter of time before the head gaskets went.
    My fix initially had a new head on that side (LHS) and the land on the head was welded to make it wider but the problem persisted because the same gaskets went back and the block also had the same problem (tubes too close together). It wasn't until we found that one gasket that had a wider space that the gap was filled by enough not to blow.
    So although Toyota makes good vehicles that are generally reliable they do not/won't accept returns based on design faults. I have heard of other issues with different model Toyotas of a similar nature.
    So if you end up with some sort of problem with a Toyota just accept that whatever is needed to fix it you are on your own. If it was just a single problem and your fix is good then you will probably have a good run afterwards.
    Warranty issues with other makes are seeing these types of problems also. Manufacturers are becoming very leery of fixing what are expensive fixes unless you have a lot of muscle behind the request.
    Personally as a result of my experiences I won't touch another Toyota.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissybabe For This Useful Post:

The truth, This is Africa. They don’t care, and they’ll still sell loads as we’re doing them a favour by continue to buy their products with its faults in droves.
    The world is about making money only with the least cost.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK77 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Webber View Post
    Some issues I have noted on my 2.8 and it seems there are a few with the issue.

First issue is the exhaust manifold gasket. I'm told the heat from the exhaust damages the head.

Name:	9D531F80-6E24-4E44-A8DD-CE68E50F440A.jpg 
Views:	840 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	575651
    Checked last night and I definitely have some sooty "spray" coming from that same exhaust port. Not nearly as bad as your picture, but there's soot there. Will raise it for warranty replacement at the next service.

I haven't checked the MAF or the intake, but thanks for the tip, I'll check, clean and grease this weekend.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Hi there

First post here, I don't even own a 4x4, I suffer from Alfa disease!

A colleague of mine owns a 2.4 GD-6, same airbox issue. Had a look and in my opinion the airbox and lid is sturdy enough, with the lid having what looks to be a turbulence baffle to smooth airflow over the MAF.
    The clips holding down the lid are in my opinion poorly specced, 'swivel/swing top' locking type or small m5 studs in the box would have been a far more positive way to ensure sealing as the lid encounters flex via engine movement.

Advised him to try strapping down the lid with small ratchet straps, I'll keep you updated re: the outcome of this.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to R2DTER For This Useful Post:

Dust fouling the MAF are the smallest of your problems.

Premature engine failure would be my biggest concern..........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I took a closer look at mine this afternoon. After buying a can of MAF cleaner just in case, my intake is actually fine. I can hardly see a mark on my finger after running it all the way around the inside of the intake pipe.

Nevertheless, I removed the MAF, gave it a good clean and replaced it with a light coating of grease around the O-ring. I'll do the same on the filter rubbers after the next service (3000km time).

The exhaust manifold, on the other hand, is much worse than I thought. That metal heat shield was hiding the extent of the problem. See this picture and take one guess what the warranty will be covering at the next service.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cainslie; 2020/09/02 at 05:00 PM. Reason: better picture

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~115000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 15000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Angry Re: Hilux Gd6 Issues to be aware of all owners

So, recently bought a pretty 2.8GD6 Tuna 2017 with only 28Kkm on it.....live on a farm.... didn't take long till it started cutting out. Took it to Toyota whom "could not find any errors or any problems when test driving" and sent me home. 5 mins after I left it cut out again. Being a DM myself I went to trusty old google for a pointer or two. Found all the Oz threads and tested the theory. After cleaning the MAF (lightly with very soft brush) I sealed it and the filter. Issue stopped....for a while. Suppose that dust entered once again.....very disappointed that there's no repair/recall and that the DEALERS DONT EVEN KNOW about this issue. Took me 10mins to identify and fix.......​​

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisDieManWatKan For This Useful Post:

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    I took a closer look at mine this afternoon. After buying a can of MAF cleaner just in case, my intake is actually fine. I can hardly see a mark on my finger after running it all the way around the inside of the intake pipe.

Nevertheless, I removed the MAF, gave it a good clean and replaced it with a light coating of grease around the O-ring. I'll do the same on the filter rubbers after the next service (3000km time).

The exhaust manifold, on the other hand, is much worse than I thought. That metal heat shield was hiding the extent of the problem. See this picture and take one guess what the warranty will be covering at the next service.
    Have you seen my posts about the bulletin out from ToySA regarding the manifold issue??
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 SW with extras
    2019 Jaguar Inkwe 4 Offroad Caravan

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Trevor_Mathews For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor_Mathews View Post
    Have you seen my posts about the bulletin out from ToySA regarding the manifold issue??
    Please post a link to this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast