Basecamp saving a trip

Default Basecamp saving a trip

Have used MAPSCOURCE forever and happy with it.

Just bought a 276cx and decided that i should update to BASECAMP for the future. Downloaded well and i went through the tuts etc.

Have not yet used the 276cx but downloaded my 76cx data for a trial, in a new folder, as well as a saved database, from the laptop. All working although many of the settings are amended - size of text, symbols, and low and upper case for example, on the laptop only so far - will use the 276cx in near future.

Noticed though that, if you open one of the folders, then dabble with it, then close the folder, the programme does not ask you if you want to save the info. It auto saves your amended file, even if you were amending it to temporarily suit a process of editing for fooling around. Runs the risk of losing data unintentionally? Am i not doing something right?

On MAPSCOURCE, when you close a file, it asks if you wish to save or save as, under another name if you wish, and you can keep or keep the file unaltered by just closing. An example is deleting tracks for conveniently seeing the T4A base and not wanting to lose the info long term. So far i kept the new files under a new name.

Can obviously keep creating folders and deleting them after - just checking though how others do it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Default Re: Basecamp saving a trip

I now open a new file as I lost old info when playing around
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Check out this post on the BaseCamp Tips and Tricks thread: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=269460

The 1st post in this thread works like an index from where you can jump straight to a relevant thread. If you have any more questions, ask it there and I will try to answer.

Big difference between BaseCamp and Mapsource is the way data is handled. You have to keep remembering that ALL data is stored in ONE place. Even when copied to another list. So what ever you change, the "master" is changed also. As discussed in above thread I only realised that recently while playing with track logs.

There is a work around to have BaseCamp work "similar" to Mapsource where you can have more than one BaseCamp file. This is also discussed in the above thread.

I hope this helps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

An update:

With lockdown and closed borders, i have been learning Basecamp and going through the thread referred by Daniek - slowly and steadily - thanks Daniek.

Decide now to charge and use the 276cx and test etc due to warranty, and carry on the learning.

First problem, the machine does not see or is it able to use the manufacturers battery. Battery has charge that i measure, but there must be a hardware defect.

Works on 3 AA batteries and the 220V but does not boot maps on, with a message that it "cannot authenticate maps" and i must contact seller. Has the buttons frozen throughout the first period.

So I register on Garmin Express, and, after 2 connects, it suddenly sees the machine and i sync it. On power get the message above and all initially frozen, with buttons not functional, and when connected on laptop, after 3 or 4 boots suddenly it sees the map, and the GPS reads satelite etc, buttons unfreeze and the machine works - on 12V and 220v, latter with the USB cable. But the GPS dies as soon as power is disconnected.

End result is that it does not see or work with the bought battery and brings up the authenticate msge every time it boots up. So GPS went back to retailer today and now wait for Garmin rep and hopefully get a new one.

I managed to download the Africa topo map v3 from machine to the Basecamp on laptop but map is not stored on laptop. Must have disappeared when the machine updated after a number of coneects to the Basecamp and having updated the firmware at the end. May be my fault though. Will have to see when it comes back. Frustrating so far. Read the instructions a few times to make sure there was no mistakes.
    Last edited by ed rouillard; 2020/06/28 at 06:01 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

When you go onto Garmin Express, you can update the Garmin device there. It also gives you an option to save maps onto your PC as well. So if you update the GPS then just update pc maps to new version. You can then play around on PC and plan your next destination routes. Download on GPS at a later date. But don't disconnect GPS when updating as GE tells you data may be corrupted. Not an expert but rather been there, done that
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Thanx for that Hunter26

The last time that I booted down it updated the maps I think. I was packing to take the GPS to OW.

The 8 or 9 times before it had not done this. The Africa map appeared only once with an update msge for the first time as I booted down. I did not try the buttons like every other time as they had been lifeless before. In the shop the same happened, with the msge appearing but with the map in background, the 2nd time so to speak.

The battery did not work and the msge was there, justifying the GPS going in.

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Thanx for that Hunter26

The last time that I booted down it updated the maps I think. I was packing to take the GPS to OW.

The 8 or 9 times before it had not done this. The Africa map appeared only once with an update msge for the first time as I booted down. I did not try the buttons like every other time as they had been lifeless before. In the shop the same happened, with the msge appearing but with the map in background, the 2nd time so to speak.

The battery did not work and the msge was there, justifying the GPS going in.
    When a battery is replaced they have to remove the circuit board on old battery and resolder onto new. Some about the GPS able to ID battery or something like that, so I was told. Not an expert. Bet ODW will sell you a new GPS at a discount
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    When a battery is replaced they have to remove the circuit board on old battery and resolder onto new. Some about the GPS able to ID battery or something like that, so I was told. Not an expert. Bet ODW will sell you a new GPS at a discount
    Sorry that i was not clear enough.

This is a new 276cx from ODW that i bought during lockdown as i stupidly missed the Navworld special. i was to buy a second hand one and the chap pulled out of the deal. Was bought recently as the R/DOLLAR rate has gone crazy and i expect a big price hike on the imports.

This GPS has the removable battery and an AA option, also removable.

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Sorry that i was not clear enough.

This is a new 276cx from ODW that i bought during lockdown as i stupidly missed the Navworld special. i was to buy a second hand one and the chap pulled out of the deal. Was bought recently as the R/DOLLAR rate has gone crazy and i expect a big price hike on the imports.

This GPS has the removable battery and an AA option, also removable.
    Aaah, I must have missed that. Hope you come right. Nice option wrt removable battery and also able to use other batteries.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig