Can I run AT at the back and normal in the front

Default Can I run AT at the back and normal in the front

Hi Guys

So, as the title suggests, I want to know whether I can safely do this or not.

I would like to get GeoLanders for the FL2, and normally I would save up till I have enough for all 4 tires. Thing is though, currently my spare is still stuffed, so I am driving around without a spare(have been for a while). Now, the tires on the car is crappy hifly tires, which I can't find anywhere, so just replacing the one is not possible.

Since I want to go AT all round, I figured if I can buy 2 AT's now, and put them on the back, and then buy 2 more AT's in about 2 or 3 months time, my problem would be sorted.

What do the experts say.

Would it be better perhaps to buy 2 AT's so long, and keep one as a spare, until I can replace all 4?

Also, I only use to drive short distances with the car, but with Covid-19, I will no longer be using the Gautrain, so I would have to drive to Sandton, maybe once or twice a week, when we get to that stage.
    Last edited by lizardalpha; 2020/06/12 at 08:13 AM.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE
    Swambo : 2012 BMW 530d Msport("the beast")

Default Re: Can I run AT at the back and normal in the front

Forgive me, but I don't know the FL2 that well. If it is AWD, then I'd say rather not. If it's 2 wheel drive, then you can.
    Gavin

Quote Originally Posted by gavpike View Post
    Forgive me, but I don't know the FL2 that well. If it is AWD, then I'd say rather not. If it's 2 wheel drive, then you can.
    The FL2 is a dynamic AWD to my knowledge, so mostly 2wd. I can't recall whether it was like 70% front wheel, or whether it will go 100% front wheel only when driving over certain speed.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

I don't think it is a good idea to run different tyres front and back or left and right on a AWD. Rather buy two now, keep it safe and then in three months time fit them all when you buy the other two. You will put unnecessary wear on the drive train.

Is the rears already at the legal limit?

When I looked at a AWD car a while back the first thing I checked was if all the tyres are the same.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    I don't think it is a good idea to run different tyres front and back or left and right on a AWD. Rather buy two now, keep it safe and then in three months time fit them all when you buy the other two. You will put unnecessary wear on the drive train.

Is the rears already at the legal limit?

When I looked at a AWD car a while back the first thing I checked was if all the tyres are the same.
    I can buy 2 now, fit one to the spare, and then wait to buy the other two, that's not a problem. Was just wondering whether one can or cannot do it.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

You can run what you want as long as the rolling circumference is the same.

Full Stop.

Your AWD system can't detect or feel the difference in tyre compounds or treads.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

It is all about circumference.

They the front and rear are equal then go for it. Google the tyres.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Most places offer credit. Just buy the right tyres once.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiksilver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    You can run what you want as long as the rolling circumference is the same.

Full Stop.

Your AWD system can't detect or feel the difference in tyre compounds or treads.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

I highly doubt they would have the same circumference.

I will see what info I can get from google, but I think I'll have to end up buying two, fitting one to the spare(luckily the spare is same size), and then keep as emergency. Once I buy the next two I'll just swap all tires.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. (I'm quite dumb when it comes to tires).

One more question. Has anyone used Errol's tires, and is it safe buying from them? I vaguely recall something about expired tires, but this could have been some other place, or I could have misread.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    Most places offer credit. Just buy the right tyres once.

I have enough money in my credit card to easily buy 4 tires, but due to the economic climate, I prefer to buy stuff cash at the moment. I have enough debt as is, and also, usually its rcs, and their interest rates are crazy.
    2011 Freelander 2 SE

Quote Originally Posted by JohanMaree View Post

The chances of new AT's and old normal have the same circumference are slim to non-existent. Don't take the chance.
    Gavin

Irrespective of the 4x4 system, I would not run AT's rear and Highway tyres front. Full tread AT tyres will have much larger slip angles than the HT tyres at the front when going around turns at speed. The car will always feel like oversteering, and perhaps could actually do that unexpectedly. If you must, then the other way around, to get safer understeer feel.
    '89 LR 110 V8

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike N For This Useful Post:

Long story short. Buy 2 as you planned, fit one to the spare as you said. Hope you don't get a puncture and if you do, just use it to get you home and no further. It will not break the system with limited milage as your diffs are open. But it's not ideal.

Then swop all 4 when you are ready.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

One word of warning about the Geolanders.Twice now I wanted to fit them and supply is a problem.No guarantee you will get the same tyre in 2-3 mths.Then you will have a problem!!
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

I came across this very issue last year with an FL2 I was given to use in the UK

here is the relevant extract from the owners hand book

REPLACEMENT TYRES
    Always fit replacement tyres of the same type, and wherever possible, of the same make and tread pattern.The load and speed index ratings on all replacement tyres must be, at least, the same specification as the Original Equipment (OE) see . If in doubt consult your Land Rover Dealer/Authorised Repairer.Do not rotate tyres around the vehicle.If the use of tyres not recommended by Land Rover is unavoidable, ensure that you read, and fully comply with, the tyre manufacturer’s instructions.When the tread has worn down to approximately 2 mm, wear indicators start to appear at the surface of the tread pattern. This produces a continuous band of rubber across the tread as a visual reminder.Ideally, tyres should be replaced in sets of four. If this is not possible, replace the tyres in pairs (both front or both rear). When tyres are replaced, the wheels should always be re-balanced and alignment checked.
    Last edited by SteveHarris; 2020/06/19 at 01:00 PM.
    Ex - 109 SIIA R6 pickup, rebuilt from a kraal find, still thrashing around in the Zim Lowveld.
    1972 88 Safari SW petrol - Mellie
    1995 Disco I 300TDi - Daisy
    Ex - 2003 Face Lift Disco II Td5 auto - d'Arcy. Now living by the sea in KZN.
    2003 Defender 110 Td5 - Bruce
    Ex - 2005 D3 V8. Still in the family in Washington State USA.
    Ex - 2007 Freelander Td4 HSE. Still in the family in Bury St Edmunds, UK

Life is a journey. Have you determined your final destination?

Quote Originally Posted by lizardalpha View Post
    Hi Guys

So, as the title suggests, I want to know whether I can safely do this or not.

I would like to get GeoLanders for the FL2, and normally I would save up till I have enough for all 4 tires. Thing is though, currently my spare is still stuffed, so I am driving around without a spare(have been for a while). Now, the tires on the car is crappy hifly tires, which I can't find anywhere, so just replacing the one is not possible.

Since I want to go AT all round, I figured if I can buy 2 AT's now, and put them on the back, and then buy 2 more AT's in about 2 or 3 months time, my problem would be sorted.

What do the experts say.

Would it be better perhaps to buy 2 AT's so long, and keep one as a spare, until I can replace all 4?

Also, I only use to drive short distances with the car, but with Covid-19, I will no longer be using the Gautrain, so I would have to drive to Sandton, maybe once or twice a week, when we get to that stage.
    Unless the OD is the same, I wouldn't. There is only so much tolerance in the drivetrain as far as I know and the diff on the FL2 is a known issue on earlier FL2s.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

So, after extensive searching, it seems the Geolanders will not do. Stock availability seems to be an issue.

On a good note, I can get grandtrek at3's at 2200 a tyre, fitted and all, so will go put some new rubber on tomorrow, will do all 4 at once, and buy a spare of same a month or two later. (After thinking about it, and reading what everyone had to say, I will maar use the cc to do all 4, and just put money back very quickly)
    2011 Freelander 2 SE