Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

Hi All,

Speak to me about your hard shell roof top tent. I am looking at fitting one on my 130 but am not sure which is best. So far shortlist is Bundutec and Eezi Awn Stealth.

Please share pictures of your setups also as well as the good and bad.

Thank you
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Default Re: Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Hi All,Speak to me about your hard shell roof top tent. I am looking at fitting one on my 130 but am not sure which is best. So far shortlist is Bundutec and Eezi Awn Stealth. Please share pictures of your setups also as well as the good and bad.Thank you

Had our Bubdutop for over five years now. It has been on the original Gen 2 Pajero, on the Gen 3 pajero and now on my trailer.

Only good things to say about it, nothing bad at all.

Last trip to Mabua we had a mix of TTT, off road trailer , ground tents and the Bundutop. Everyone except ourselves moaned that it was cold during the night. We never noticed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6101.resized.JPG 
Views:	353 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	575271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6313.resized.JPG 
Views:	322 
Size:	430.7 KB 
ID:	575272  
    Last edited by Stranger; 2020/06/11 at 10:28 AM.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Had our Bubdutop for over five years now. It has been on the original Gen 2 Pajero, on the Gen 3 pajero and now on my trailer.

Only good things to say about it, nothing bad at all.

Last trip to Mabua we had a mix of TTT, off road trailer , ground tents and the Bundutop. Everyone except ourselves moaned that it was cold during the night. We never noticed.
    I think the Whisky had something to do with that!
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

The Bundutop is a seriously nice piece of kit and although it has a bit of insulating cover fabric in the top the sides are all of hthe same ripstop that the others are made of. As said maybe good single malt insulation anti freeze
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Not strictly a hard shell tent but I have the Custom Leisure Tech Quick Pitch tent. Its a soft shell but operates like the clam shell tents. It has most of the advantages of a hard shell the main difference being that it has 8 clips and a zip to undo rather than 2 clips. Personally I don't find it a hassle and as the name suggests I am vertically challenged.

The advantage is it costs about half of the hardshells and barely weighs 50kg.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Check this out Bruce

www.freelinecampers.com
    Bruce Hunter. 2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Bruce, anything that is easy to erect and pack away . Must be comfortable and not too high to climb into . My Budutec ( which really is brilliant) , I have also chosen to put on an overland trailer .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gojo For This Useful Post:

1. time - set up and down
    2. how easy is it for one person
    3. how much weight can you load on top (eg roof rack or solar)
    4. hight profile (depends how important that is to you)
    5. get a good ladder
    6. can you store your goeters inside that you want to store inside when it's closed up.
    and then enjoy whichever works for you
    ZS1ETphonehome

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Some of the things I really like about my bundutop is:
    -The large flat roof, I have a 290W solar panel permanently mounted on top. That is enough power so that I don’t require a dc-dc charger, only mppt.
    -The small veranda is big enough to keep the rain out of the tent, but small enough that it doesn’t flap too widely around like most of the other RTT’s flysheets.
    -All 4 sides can be used to enter/exit the tent, and are obviously gigantic windows.
    -The 100mm mattress is amazing.

Unfortunately the biggest downside is that it’s a complex system, so if you forget to release a latch you will probably bend or damage something.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

Maybe a left-field question and I will be told to go buy a Tazz, but here goes: I would assume rooftop tents all have a negative effect on fuel consumption. Are there any that are better/worse than others? Some just look like a big shoe box while some seem to have a sort of aerodynamic shape. Has anybody ever tested this or seen tests, or are they are much of a muchness in that respect?

Btw, might be slightly OT, but might also assist the OP.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Maybe a left-field question and I will be told to go buy a Tazz, but here goes: I would assume rooftop tents all have a negative effect on fuel consumption. Are there any that are better/worse than others? Some just look like a big shoe box while some seem to have a sort of aerodynamic shape. Has anybody ever tested this or seen tests, or are they are much of a muchness in that respect?

Btw, might be slightly OT, but might also assist the OP.
    I found an improvement when my RTT was fitted lower on the roof - rather than with the original spacers (between RTT and roof) By how much I don't know - but the drag was significantly less.
    ZS1ETphonehome

22. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

I notice small details.
    If I remember from when looking at these hard shells, the BunduTech was the only one which window / door canvis zipped from the bottom to the top, this means you can half close the canvis for privacy or against wind whatever, but still have a opening at the top for airflow. With windows working the other way around you can't do this, unless you roll up and tie down the loose flapping piece of canvis.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I notice small details.
    If I remember from when looking at these hard shells, the BunduTech was the only one which window / door canvis zipped from the bottom to the top, this means you can half close the canvis for privacy or against wind whatever, but still have a opening at the top for airflow. With windows working the other way around you can't do this, unless you roll up and tie down the loose flapping piece of canvis.
    same as Alucab
    ZS1ETphonehome

26. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

I have done a fair bit of traveling with a normal roof top tent on my Pajero and believe me it has its own unique drama playing out every day. My train of thought was a quick and easy camping opportunity as often as possible.

At first I had my 1200 rtt mounted on my Mini and it worked like a charm, setting up was a couple of minutes and striking was a piece of cake. With the trailer only being 1300 high it was a doddle.

Next was a 4 week tour of the eastern Cape where we pitched and struck camp every day and now that big parachute was mounted on top of the roof rack of the Pajero. Everything changed
    Fuel consumption went through the roof and one could hear the canvas flap around at highway speed together with the deep drone of full throttle coming from the snorkel. High drag + open throttle is not good for reasonable fuel consumption.
    Going in to parking lots often resulted in being hit by the height boom on open air parking lots, why have those on an open air parking lot entrance??

Getting in and out was not much different than on the trailer and the extra height did not phase us but when it came to striking camp it was a different story. the height was a big negative, early on in our tour we had to go out and buy a short little step ladder. This made life a bit easier but at best it was an hour before we could move off in the morning.
    We have done a lot of camping with just the Pajero and a dome tent and we were kitted and sorted for living from the back of the Pajero complete with water tanks, dual compartment fridge/freezer and all the fancy goodies to make life easy just the pitching and striking

Pitching was a bit easier than the strike and once the covers were off and the ladder hooked up it did not take long to make the bed.....did I mention we did not have space inside the contraption for our pillows that had to ride in the vehicle.
    Would I do it again? on top of any SUV or bakkie canopy? ...... Not on your nelly. It works perfectly on a low vehicle where you can walk around and tie everything down.

My choice for a roof top tent is the clam shell or solid top Bundu awn. The bundu awn is higher than the clamshell and would have a bit bigger effect on your fuel consumption but being smooth and solid nowhere near that of a floppy tent cover.
    Besides the price this is 1st prize for me' with its motorized open and shut it fills all the tick boxes of a lazy camper.

Clamshells are much of a muchness with a more slimline profile and a fixed hinged front that you don't have to walk around to tie down. They have elastic cords pulling everything in to the hard shell and have a loop to pull everything shut with a fair amount of space for bedding as well.
    Easy, simple and straight forward, nothing wrong with any one of these.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

If you have several wives ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2020/06/12 at 07:51 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

30. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Thanks all for the replies.

I have always used Howling Moon traditional type roof top tents, and to be honest they are brilliant and comfortable but a PITA to set up and pack away.

Will also take a look at the Freeline Campers option - Thank you Brucehun.

Anyone use the Quickpitch product?

For reference I will be fitting it to this canopy. (sorry not great pictures but will give you an idea)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6305.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	340.3 KB 
ID:	575374   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6175.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	346.3 KB 
ID:	575375  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/06/15 at 07:41 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

32. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Thanks all for the replies.

I have always used Howling Moon traditional type roof top tents, and to be honest they are brilliant and comfortable but a PITA to set up and pack away.

The Ezzi Awn Stealth is out although I really like their products. At over R40k and over R10k more than the Bundutec I just do not see the added value.

The Bundutec is definitely leading the pack so far. And they seem to be the only ones interested in selling me one. They replied to my request with questions about what vehicle it would be fitted to, and even phoned me to ask a few questions about the canopy. The rest so far have basically just emailed a quote. I prefer people and companies that show interest.

Will also take a look at the Freeline Campers option - Thank you Brucehun.

Anyone use the Quickpitch product?

For reference I will be fitting it to this canopy. (sorry not great pictures but will give you an idea)
    you know what you want make sure it fits in the garage!
    ZS1ETphonehome

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    you know what you want make sure it fits in the garage!

It doesnt fit in the garage currently
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    1. time - set up and down
    2. how easy is it for one person
    3. how much weight can you load on top (eg roof rack or solar)
    4. hight profile (depends how important that is to you)
    5. get a good ladder
    6. can you store your goeters inside that you want to store inside when it's closed up.
    and then enjoy whichever works for you
    Item 2 is made a lot easier with a normal RTT if you tie a 5m cord to the top rung or, better, axle of the ladder.
    ... one can then push with the extended ladder or pull the cord when opening or lowering the tent.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. : Own the road...Any road
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8... The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP... Simply Classic...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ... A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

36. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast