Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Touché. But I have had a look at this product mentioned before and also perused various videos of well known 4x4 personalities when they "reviewed" these tents. Not one mentioned the crappy mattresses... In Australia they seem to be all the rage and being a fairly new, unknown product, you would be hard-pressed to find one in SA to evaluate in the skin so to say. Taking, the price, and the reviews, on face value is all you have. Your money, your choice.

They do have them at Frontrunner here in Gauteng - of no use in this particular case...

Touché. But I have had a look at this product mentioned before and also perused various videos of well known 4x4 personalities when they "reviewed" these tents. Not one mentioned the crappy mattresses... In Australia they seem to be all the rage and being a fairly new, unknown product, you would be hard-pressed to find one in SA to evaluate in the skin so to say. Taking, the price, and the reviews, on face value is all you have. Your money, your choice.
    you are right. and it's not like non of us haven't made that mistake. But that is a big investment to make a mistake with.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrTolbos View Post
    I’m curious if you’re planning to add a solar panel on top of the stealth? Would like to see some photos afterwards if you do please

No not planning to add solar to it. Its on a 130 and already very high and I have broken panels in the past from branches, in places we travel. I have flexible fold up panels that we set up when needed which honestly is not too often as we seldom stay in one place for long periods. I also dont like having to park in the sun just so panels that are mounted to the roof can do their thing.

But if you wanted to you can fit load bars to it like in the below picture and mount panels to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/08 at 08:25 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Hi Bruce

If I am not mistaken (this tread has been going a while) you mentioned somewhere that you are a tall person? Correct? Apologies if I perhaps read this elsewhere. The wife, Tracy and I are busy looking at all the Hard Shell tents on the market. This one is also on the list. If I may, and you have first hand knowledge. I am 1.95m tall, will this be a problem? Can one leave your bedding inside, basically two pillows and sleeping bag?

Thanks

Hi Paul,

I have not tried to leave pillows etc in it yet but was told that it is possible - but im sure it is possible if the bed is made if piled up untidily then I doubt it will close - dont know . Will be trying it out this weekend for the first time.

I am 1.97cm so pretty much the same as you. I had my heart set on the Blade but when i tried it I found that the bottom where the hinges are, becomes too narrow for my feet and when lying on my back my toes touch the roof. (hope that makes sense)

With the Stealth i didnt have this problem due to the design of how it opens up.

I think this will be a problem for us tall guys on most hard shell roof top tents that open in that V shape. I did not try the Bundutec though as I was put off by the noise it makes and possible failure of components (which apparently never happens tbh) but that could also be another option to look at - certainly my second choice and they are very helpful and responsive to questions. If you dont like those options you will have to go for the traditional canvas fold open roof top tents. While I was at Eezi Awn a guy and his girlfriend walked in to try out tents for his Jimny. As tall as I am I came up to his shoulder height - his only option is a traditional RTT.

Good luck with the shopping. The owner of Eezi Awn's name is Jess. They are a great help. Not sure it will make a difference but you can tell him i suggested you call him.

Cheers
    Bruce
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/08 at 08:43 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

I have been watching this thread for some time and decided to add some photos of my setup. I have a Wild Earth rtt and have done extensive travels over the past four years with itover some very rough terrain in Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. I upgraded my mattres immediately when I got it to a 150mm thick mattress consisting of 50mm chipfoam, 50mm high density foam and 50mm memory foam. Four years ago this mattress cost me R2,500.00 but it is worth every cent. It sleeps like my bed at home. I added 4 zip up bags inside as per photo for clothing. 2 for each person. 1 to put the next days clothes in and 1 for the clothes you remove before going to bed. I moved the light as it shines directly into your eyes and cannot read with it in the postion where it is fitted standard. I added a removable solar panel and light frame to the top of the tent. It works very well and is easy to remove/ replace.

I am 1,95m tall with size 12 feet and initially it takes a bit of getting used to as you have the end of the hard shell against your feet when you go to sleep but you quickly adapt to it. The only downside of these and all other roof top tents is the condensation you end up with evry morning on the inside of the tent when you sleep in the cold. We overcame that with adding 3 small towels to dry down the sides of the tent every morning when we get up. The sloped top is not a problem as it is covered with carpet and does not collect condensation, only the 3 canvas sides does. I have an electric blanket fitted and it makes sleeping in the cold a charm, provided you have a power point available. The ladder is notorious for hurting your feet and I used aircon insulation to sort out this problem. To avoid getting into bed with sandy feet, I have a carpet at the ladder’s end to wipe our feet before we get into bed. It cleses up with bedding inside. I do not store my ladder inside. It is fitted underneath the tent. Once ended up with water leaking out of the ladder onto the bed after the previous nights rain collected in the telescopic ladder. Herewith the photos, hope it heps to make someone’s experience a bit better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	190C623E-8A39-499A-A469-93BABA5C01CB.jpeg 
Views:	158 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	578809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AF797616-06A1-4E1A-8E9F-13BC95042F14.jpeg 
Views:	141 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	578810   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5EF16D27-0164-4B8E-84ED-DED8503E1E35.jpeg 
Views:	138 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	578811   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA5363DD-944C-45C7-B47E-801DF8A2221F.jpeg 
Views:	143 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	578812   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C78A1CAF-C758-4D20-A486-35905B50F7D8.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	578813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCE449F8-E5FA-4825-872D-2DEBBB75EA7F.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	578814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F62B200A-C6CA-4290-B702-C28CABA80A3B.jpeg 
Views:	134 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	578815  
    Last edited by Bazil; 2020/07/08 at 09:12 AM.
    FORD RANGER XLT 3.2 4x4 AUTO (Face Lift)

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bazil For This Useful Post:

I have a bag hanging at the top of my ladder - and shoes go in there (I sit on the edge, feet down and remove my shoes) Once inside the bag, I can take the bag inside the RTT and I don't want to hang it outside overnight. Wet/sandy shoes/feet is a HUGE no-no in an RTT.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

I was worried about condensation but i suppose its not avoidable. Had it in everything from my Xplorer to HM roof top tents. We testing it out this weekend and with the forecast its going to be a good test. Will see how bad the condensation is although the one i bought it has little openings towards the top that may help to reduce it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    you are right. and it's not like non of us haven't made that mistake. But that is a big investment to make a mistake with.
    Imagine how happy I am that I found this thread!

2021 FJ Cruiser

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil View Post
    I have been watching this thread for some time and decided to add some photos of my setup. I have a Wild Earth rtt and have done extensive travels over the past four years with itover some very rough terrain in Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. I upgraded my mattres immediately when I got it to a 150mm thick mattress consisting of 50mm chipfoam, 50mm high density foam and 50mm memory foam. Four years ago this mattress cost me R2,500.00 but it is worth every cent. It sleeps like my bed at home. I added 4 zip up bags inside as per photo for clothing. 2 for each person. 1 to put the next days clothes in and 1 for the clothes you remove before going to bed. I moved the light as it shines directly into your eyes and cannot read with it in the postion where it is fitted standard. I added a removable solar panel and light frame to the top of the tent. It works very well and is easy to remove/ replace.

I am 1,95m tall with size 12 feet and initially it takes a bit of getting used to as you have the end of the hard shell against your feet when you go to sleep but you quickly adapt to it. The only downside of these and all other roof top tents is the condensation you end up with evry morning on the inside of the tent when you sleep in the cold. We overcame that with adding 3 small towels to dry down the sides of the tent every morning when we get up. The sloped top is not a problem as it is covered with carpet and does not collect condensation, only the 3 canvas sides does. I have an electric blanket fitted and it makes sleeping in the cold a charm, provided you have a power point available. The ladder is notorious for hurting your feet and I used aircon insulation to sort out this problem. To avoid getting into bed with sandy feet, I have a carpet at the ladder’s end to wipe our feet before we get into bed. It cleses up with bedding inside. I do not store my ladder inside. It is fitted underneath the tent. Once ended up with water leaking out of the ladder onto the bed after the previous nights rain collected in the telescopic ladder. Herewith the photos, hope it heps to make someone’s experience a bit better.
    Basil thanks for posting this - you might have given me a very good idea.
    I have the Alucab RTT - the standard version without the bags in the top lid. Which means there is nothing to attach anything too. I am now considering glueing the whole inside top lid with carpet - then velcro still sotck anywhere.
    Has anyone done something similar ? any comments?

One of the best features of the Alucab RTT is the space - I have all my bedding - extra duvet, sleeping bag, all my clothes - 2 pillows inside and it closes with no issue. And the ladder as well in it's one bag. Plenty of space.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    I was worried about condensation but i suppose its not avoidable. Had it in everything from my Xplorer to HM roof top tents. We testing it out this weekend and with the forecast its going to be a good test. Will see how bad the condensation is although the one i bought it has little openings towards the top that may help to reduce it.
    Bruce, in my previous rooftop, I hung a sheet inside the tent, against the roof and this helped enormously with condensation. Obviously it was easier in that tent because it had poles that I could work the sheet through, but this hardshell has no poles?? What if you made up a sheet to the size of the tent roof, and fixed it loosely against the roof with Velcro?

2021 FJ Cruiser

Nice. I tried Allucab and the only response I got from them was an email saying "sorry we dont do anything for the Defender" so I didnt bother.

To add to the above, the stealth has a ladder slide on the outside under the tent which is also a great feature. That means the ladder can be used at anytime even when the tent is not open. I am not sure how much bedding will fit inside it though as its not as deep/high as other hard shell tents - i think within reason some will be able to but if you have 4 big pillows, a duvet, sleeping back etc it maybe a bit tight. Will play around this weekend.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/08 at 09:28 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Nice. I tried Allucab and the only response I got from them was an email saying "sorry we dont do anything for the Defender" so I didnt bother.

To add to the above, the stealth has a ladder slide on the outside under the tent which is also a great feature. That means the ladder can be used at anytime even when the tent is not open. I am not sure how much bedding will fit inside it though as its not as deep/high as other hard shell tents - i think within reason some will be able to but if you have 4 big pillows, a duvet, sleeping back etc it maybe a bit tight. Will play around this weekend.
    omg I thought their RTT's fit on just about any vehicle?

I love the quality of the product - space, and very low profile when closed (dont think anything beats it?)
    I do not appreciate the cost and I believe they don't pay attention to the local market as they should.
    I have a telescopic ladder - I just choose (currently) to keep it in the RTT - but you can put it anywhere.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

Bruce, in my previous rooftop, I hung a sheet inside the tent, against the roof and this helped enormously with condensation. Obviously it was easier in that tent because it had poles that I could work the sheet through, but this hardshell has no poles?? What if you made up a sheet to the size of the tent roof, and fixed it loosely against the roof with Velcro?
    Thank you. I dont think condensation on the roof will be a problem as its covered in some insulation and material. I think it will be more on the walls. Not sure. Its a good idea though and will keep that in mind. Thank you
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Smile Re: Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

I do not appreciate the cost and I believe they don't pay attention to the local market as they should.
    You know my view on this Think their local price is linked to protecting their export market and local distribution setup. The best RTT product on the market in my view - but too expensive for us normal people. You were one of the last lucky ones when you bought yours. Different topic for another thread .

Think your idea of the carpet would work. Just make sure you have enough areas of velcro between what you want to stick to the carpet and the carpet itself. It's like duck tape - just use enough
    Last edited by lirritma; 2020/07/08 at 12:34 PM.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Don’t forget condensation/moist buildup under your mattress. We added a layer of spaghetti mat under our mattress, helps 99.99%

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MrTolbos For This Useful Post:

So we and SWAMBO have been looking at RTT's now for a whilst.

BUt before we invest can someone comment on how you get your vehicles+RTT into mall/supermarket carparks.

I was looking at the Stealth tent, with bars ontop.

Isnt this incredibly tall?

Or are we just imagining this problem.

Bear in mind our Tuna is our only vehicle at the moment, so must go everywhere and once the tent is on, its staying on.

Not sure of height of fortuner. I have a 79DC with alucab RTT. Simple, it does not go into supermarket parkades
    (it is WAY too tall for many of them). a
    This is a way of life with big overland type vehicles. I once took out a beam of a fuel stop shadecloth awning with the roof rack of my D3. Have not made the same mistake again (yet)

PS: not sure I would consider permanent fitment of RTT onto daily driver/family car? Height is not the only issue. Noise, fuel etc. IS there not a possibility for some flexible form of fitment, easy enough to remove?

D
    Last edited by IanK; 2020/07/08 at 02:17 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to IanK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bobscratchit View Post
    So we and SWAMBO have been looking at RTT's now for a whilst.

BUt before we invest can someone comment on how you get your vehicles+RTT into mall/supermarket carparks.

I was looking at the Stealth tent, with bars ontop.

Isnt this incredibly tall?

Or are we just imagining this problem.

Bear in mind our Tuna is our only vehicle at the moment, so must go everywhere and once the tent is on, its staying on.
    yes it's a big deal.
    Compare with my Prado & Alu Cab RTT - (AluCab lowest profile AFAIK)

I can't get into a car park (99% of them)
    I get into my garage with something like 10mm clearance - only after the RTT was lowered on my Prado roof. (thinner spacers) and I replaced the door with a roller door.

This means no extra solar on top for me

You have to think about these things if it is important to you to leave the RTT on the roof.

while one can park in open parking - it isnt always practical. The other day I had a shoot and had to walk 25 minutes from my parking to the office building I had to be. That isn't fun if you carry equipment.
    Flying Spaghetti Monster

ZS1ETphonehome

yes it's a big deal.
    Compare with my Prado & Alu Cab RTT - (AluCab lowest profile AFAIK)

I can't get into a car park (99% of them)
    I get into my garage with something like 10mm clearance - only after the RTT was lowered on my Prado roof. (thinner spacers) and I replaced the door with a roller door.

This means no extra solar on top for me

You have to think about these things if it is important to you to leave the RTT on the roof.

while one can park in open parking - it isnt always practical. The other day I had a shoot and had to walk 25 minutes from my parking to the office building I had to be. That isn't fun if you carry equipment.
    And that adds to the cost of a RTT. I could not do it because the modifications to my garage door would have been too much. By then you can rather buy a smaller type off road trailer with a cheaper canvas RTT on it.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

30. The Following User Says Thank You to lirritma For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast