Hard Shell Roof Top Tents - Page 4

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Not strictly a hard shell tent but I have the Custom Leisure Tech Quick Pitch tent. Its a soft shell but operates like the clam shell tents. It has most of the advantages of a hard shell the main difference being that it has 8 clips and a zip to undo rather than 2 clips. Personally I don't find it a hassle and as the name suggests I am vertically challenged.

The advantage is it costs about half of the hardshells and barely weighs 50kg.
    Same tent and very happy. Lite and easy to take of quality .
    RUSTIC BUSH ESCAPE @ WIND POMP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ANDRE CRONJE For This Useful Post:

Also used the hardshell custom leisure tech tent, very happy with the brand and service from Paul, unfortunately family got to big and tent hanging in garage for some time now. Paul created an additional add a room as well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to johan.bester3 For This Useful Post:

Have you looked at iKampers? Very popular here in North America - but a tad expensive. They are made in South Korea.
    https://www.ikamper.com/

The Skycamper will fit 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children. The Skycamper 2X will fit two adults but is not well designed - it requires one occupant to climb over the other (should they wish to get out of the tent at night). The newly released Skycamp Mini fits 2 people (and has a completely new layout such that no climbing over each other is required) and it very light @ 125lbs. It is very compact, and will fit on any car. My DH and I have rented the Mini and found it very easy to put up and take down, and it is very comfortable. My DH is 6'1" and finds it long enough for him to stretch out fully.
    Last edited by Birdie; 2020/06/22 at 06:37 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Birdie For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for the replies. I’ve ended up with a eezi awn roof top tent as well as a canopy camper with Alucab hard shell tent on top of it like the one pictured below.

not sure which will become permanent but thinking it will probably be the canopy alternatively I may sell it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/06/23 at 01:54 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. Iíve ended up with a eezi awn roof top tent as well as a canopy camper with Alucab hard shell tent on top of it like the one pictured below.

not sure which will become permanent but thinking it will probably be the canopy.
    Very nice, is the Eezi awn also a clam shell type tent.

No itís the traditional canvas fold up type
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Birdie View Post
    Have you looked at iKampers? Very popular here in North America - but a tad expensive. They are made in South Korea.

The Skycamper will fit 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children. The Skycamper 2X will fit two adults but is not well designed - it requires one occupant to climb over the other (should they wish to get out of the tent at night). The newly released Skycamp Mini fits 2 people (and has a completely new layout such that no climbing over each other is required) and it very light @ 125lbs. It is very compact, and will fit on any car. My DH and I have rented the Mini and found it very easy to put up and take down, and it is very comfortable. My DH is 6'1" and finds it long enough for him to stretch out fully.
    I'm interested to know what sort of camping trip involves 3 adults sharing a RTT ... Evidently I've been doing things wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I'm interested to know what sort of camping trip involves 3 adults sharing a RTT ... Evidently I've been doing things wrong

dont worry me too
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Had a look at them and at first I like it but then, saw the pricing and started watching it being folded up. I changed my mind. TBH there are many more options I would consider long before them; i would even prefer a traditional canvas RTT and would not swop my Eezi Awn Jazz that I just purchased 2nd hand for a new one. The pricing is crazy on them and for far less you can get something like the Ezzi Awn Blade or for almost 15k less the Bundutec. They are crazy - either someone is very greedy and adding huge margins or they are being transported from Korea, via the US, back to Europe then to SA by air.

Maybe Im just cheap!

The reason I was put off by watching it be folded up is, the way its folded up looks like it will empty all of the water on the roof into the shell when its raining. Looks like a very clever but bad design.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/06/23 at 02:08 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Got the canopy and roof top tent.

unfortunately I donít know how to weld Aluminium and the canopy will need a fair amount of welding so Iím probably going to sell it. (See pictures below)

I have narrowed down my choices to the Bundutech and All-awn Blade hard shell tent.
    only negative on the Bushtech is the noise and possible failure of its mechanism which I believe is very rare.
    The only negative on the Blade is because Iím tall (almost 2m) Iím not sure how the narrow end will be for my feet. Will have to try it out.

Anyone want a camper canopy? (R30k but willing to consider offers) Final picture borrowed off net as I forgot to take a pic of it open
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C32A5F94-8D4F-43A3-A024-63F54475FD8A.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	577498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C7DB929-6CC3-471E-845E-7EF6A6871C83.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	577499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	917F0A36-CE5D-42FB-86DA-8509CBA79FB3.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	577500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3320E4A-40F4-455D-AAEF-715E22AC30B2.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	577501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8FD6264B-2E9A-4F35-81B9-56AFF519E4AA.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	577502  
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Friend of mine just got his ikamper, he is so disappointed in the poor quality, hard, low density, 40mm matrasse.

ikamper did contribute R1500 towards a replacement mattress, but now the shell cannot be closed with the 60mm, medium stiff, high density foam mattress. Not to mention bedding and pillows.

He don't know what to do.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    Friend of mine just got his ikamper, he is so disappointed in the poor quality, hard, low density, 40mm matrasse.

ikamper did contribute R1500 towards a replacement mattress, but now the shell cannot be closed with the 60mm, medium stiff, high density foam mattress. Not to mention bedding and pillows.

The standard mattress is terrible. We used a friends for a number of weeks. He added a topper from TakeALot, makes a huge difference, but wonít fit inside - has to be carried in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post

Did he see a different product when he ordered his RTT?
    Ezzac

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    Did he see a different product when he ordered his RTT?
    No, he bought from the brochure through Echo 4x4 in Cape Town and they don't keep units in stock.

He also realized that the brochure showed an inside light, but the unit came without that also. After querying this, Echo made up and supplied a LED lead light which works fine.

I can not think of a foam of only 40mm thick that will be comfortable.
    -Tobie-
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

I feel really sorry for your friend- what a disappointment for him - but he didn't do his homework it seems.
    Ezzac

I feel really sorry for your friend- what a disappointment for him - but he didn't do his homework it seems.
    Or, misleading marketing?

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Or, misleading marketing?
    so n brochure you recon is enough to do your homework?
    You believe everything advertised?
    Ezzac

I would never order something like that from a brochure unless I have see it before and you can’t trust or blame marketing!

In contrast I went for an Eezi Awn stealth and blade. Went to look at them and was allowed to climb into them and try them out. Ended up with the stealth.

good luck to your friend. I would have returned it and if they didn’t take it back I would have caused a lot of trouble which you can still do.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2020/07/08 at 07:26 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    In contrast I went for an Eezi Awn stealth and blade. Went to look at them and was allowed to climb into them and try them out. Ended up with the stealth.
    Iím curious if youíre planning to add a solar panel on top of the stealth? Would like to see some photos afterwards if you do please

so n brochure you recon is enough to do your homework?
    You believe everything advertised?
    Touchť. But I have had a look at this product mentioned before and also perused various videos of well known 4x4 personalities when they "reviewed" these tents. Not one mentioned the crappy mattresses... In Australia they seem to be all the rage and being a fairly new, unknown product, you would be hard-pressed to find one in SA to evaluate in the skin so to say. Taking, the price, and the reviews, on face value is all you have. Your money, your choice.

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast