Hard Shell Roof Top Tents - Page 6

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Hard Shell Roof Top Tents

There is now way I would fit into underground parking.

Funny story; had a mate in a 90 that bragged that he could drive around under ground parking lots without problems. Then he fitted a VHF radio and antenna. forgot about the antenna and drove into Sandton underground parking and took out about 30 tube lights with the antenna only realized when all the parking guards and security started chasing him, shouting for him to stop..
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Touchť. But I have had a look at this product mentioned before and also perused various videos of well known 4x4 personalities when they "reviewed" these tents. Not one mentioned the crappy mattresses... In Australia they seem to be all the rage and being a fairly new, unknown product, you would be hard-pressed to find one in SA to evaluate in the skin so to say. Taking, the price, and the reviews, on face value is all you have. Your money, your choice.
    Exactly what happened, he checked out all the videos, especially the ones from Australia. He asked me to assist, but because there wasn't one in a Showroom anywhere in Cape Town he had to rely on the video content available on YouTube.

Brochure said high density memory foam mattress. Thickness never mentioned.

Other than the matras and the light the product is good quality and exactly as advertised.

He thought that he will just replace the matras with a better quality one, but now the issue is to get it to close.

He is now going to try 30mm Cockpit foam with a 25mm (which easily reduces to less than 10mm under pressure) memory foam topper.
    -Tobie-
    -----------------------------------------------
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TJWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TJWM View Post
    Exactly what happened, he checked out all the videos, especially the ones from Australia. He asked me to assist, but because there wasn't one in a Showroom anywhere in Cape Town he had to rely on the video content available on YouTube.

Other than the matras and the light the product is good quality and exactly as advertised.

He thought that he will just replace the matras with a better quality one, but now the issue is to get it to close.

He is now going to try 30mm Cockpit foam with a 25mm (which easily reduces to less than 10mm under pressure) memory foam topper.

Shame to spend that kind of money and then have to mess around modifying it is not nice.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Glad I found this too!

I am looking at getting a RTT. Had a normal canvas tent ( Tenco 1.4 ) used it once, too much of a hassle.
    Then looked at the featherlite from Frontrunner.

But it seems I will settle on a hard shell.
    A friend of mine has the AluCab Gen 3 that he wants to sell for around 30k. Has never been used.
    There are so many options and I am very new to all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mypro-D View Post
    A friend of mine has the AluCab Gen 3 that he wants to sell for around 30k. Has never been used.
    What are you waiting for ? go look at it - you will never get it for that price again.
    Last edited by EHoffmann; 2020/07/09 at 02:51 PM.
    Ezzac

That is the motivation I needed!
    Thank you!

I can get his awning too for 12k. Also made by Alucab fitted to the tent.

Am I stupid not to grab both immediately!
    Last edited by Mypro-D; 2020/07/09 at 03:12 PM.

That is the motivation I needed!
    Thank you!

I can get his awning too for 12k. Also made by Alucab fitted to the tent.

Am I stupid not to grab both immediately!
    Do go and have a look for yourself - we all have different requirements. It is NOT the biggest tent (but I dont think most of the others are either) - but the quality is really good and several plus points to it. Awning included. I have both if you want a look-see, if you can't go see your friend's
    I wouldn't pass on it.
    Ezzac

Thank you!

I am pretty short (1.72 ) so space should not be a concern for the better half and I. We are youngish, 32 and 33.
    Its for a Land Cruiser 76, we would like to start exploring a bit of our own country with our dog

I think I should just bite the bullet and buy it blind.
    Its 4 months old never been opened, what could be wrong

Sorry for hijacking the threat but i also need some RTT advice please.
    We are planning a Namibia trip next year and wont be able to tow the Ratel, so the shopping has started.
    I have to kit the Hilux all over again to make space for water, shower, kitchen, awning and RTT.
    I was looking at a few options, but being totally dumb with RTT's, i just get more confused the more i google
    The RTT must be for 4 people (2 adults and 2 kids age 9 and 11) So I was looking at the Howling Moon stargazer tent, which I liked and the price is in reason. But then I saw the I-Camper X range. That looks the business, but at 38K, its a lot of money I recon.
    Any advice on a 4 sleeper RTT for my hilux?
    I do prefer a one stop shop, so it will be for RTT, shower cubicle, awning, water holders, jerry can holders, shower, kitchen and some other stuff swambo swear we need

Thank you in advance
    Stefan

2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab with a few extra's
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint (daily platkar drive)
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold

Best to get 2 x 2 sleeper RTT's. Its not wise fitting a large one (4 sleeper is much longer than Hilux DC load bay) spanning load bay and cab.
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    Best to get 2 x 2 sleeper RTT's. Its not wise fitting a large one (4 sleeper is much longer than Hilux DC load bay) spanning load bay and cab.
    Hi Mike
    Thank you for the advice. Was also wondering if it wont be better to fit 2 smaller tents instead of one big one. Will make setup a bit easier for me, weight wise, im sure.
    I got a roofrack on my rhinocab canopy and a separate roofrack on my bakkie. Was thinking of installing the RTT on the bakkie and use the canopy roofrack for fuel and ammo boxes, etc.
    Stefan

2018 Toyota Hilux V6 auto 4X4 double cab with a few extra's
    2019 Bush Lapa Ratel 4
    2019 BMW X1 M-Sport 2.0D (Swambo platkar)
    2018 Toyota Etios Sprint (daily platkar drive)
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 auto 4X4 double cab - sold
    2016 Volvo V40 D4 Geartronic - sold
    2008 Gypsey Gold Caravan - sold

Thank you!

I am pretty short (1.72 ) so space should not be a concern for the better half and I. We are youngish, 32 and 33.
    Its for a Land Cruiser 76, we would like to start exploring a bit of our own country with our dog

I think I should just bite the bullet and buy it blind.
    Its 4 months old never been opened, what could be wrong
    Good luck. It is a very good product.
    Ezzac

Sorry to hijack..

I bought a Hannibal Impi only for a trip to Zambia, which was cancelled due to Covert19..

If somebody is interested, I will let it go for R18000, including the Fredlin Hoist system

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Triton Clubcab 2x4 2.5 DID
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    I'm interested to know what sort of camping trip involves 3 adults sharing a RTT ... Evidently I've been doing things wrong
    We Canadian campers are a liberal group and, even on summer nights, keeping warm in the RTT is often a challenge!

Update, for those in the same (ikamper) boat.

It worked, he managed to get in a 30mm latex / cockpit foam mattress (big part only) with a 50mm memory foam topper (both parts of the mattress).

This is to my knowledge the best combination of, soft and firm, low volume and durable, but expensive.
    -Tobie-
    '18 Ford Everest 3.2 Limited 4x4 Auto
    '17 Ford Kuga 1.5T Trend Auto
    '18 Jurgens XT65B

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TJWM For This Useful Post:

Some feedback on the Eezi Awn Stealth.

we went to a mates property next to the Vaal this weekend.

Setup is unbelievable easy. The tent has some small extras that I didnít know about that were pleasant surprises.
    - it came with a fitted sheet
    - it has USB ports for charging
    - it also has a cable supplied to plug in to an accessory plug which works out well as I have a plug just behind the rear seats in the Landy (I thought I would have to make one)

the mattress is perfect and very comfortable even for my large frame ad I had no problems with the length. We had temps down to -4C and had a little condensation on the walls but the roof and floor didnít have any.
    pack up took a bit longer as I double checked everything like the canvas wasnít getting stuck in the scissors mechanism which it wasnít as it has a very clever set of elastic straps inside to pull the canvas in.

Overall very happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBFD04CB-8C62-4DE7-9E3A-7AB8A87B3284.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	579535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	076189D4-3801-4326-9E2C-0D1C9624A879.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	579536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	877438C8-D811-4EE2-BDFA-BC4DC41540D2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	579537   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9AB0F2B-FBA4-457B-9E9A-C7E901D4F656.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	579538  
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post

The reason I was put off by watching it be folded up is, the way its folded up looks like it will empty all of the water on the roof into the shell when its raining. Looks like a very clever but bad design.
    If the iKamper tent door is zipped closed properly when the tent is put down, then water getting inside the tent is not an issue. While we have managed to avoid putting the tent down during heavy rain, we have certainly folded it up when it has been very wet. When we have then opened the tent to dry out the canvas, we have found the inside of the tent dry. Also, iKamper provides what is perhaps best described as a "canvas pillowcase" to put over the bottom half metre of the ladder when it is stored. As a result, if the ladder is muddy/dirty, it does not dirty the tent.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    Some feedback on the Eezi Awn Stealth.

we went to a mates property next to the Vaal this weekend.

Setup is unbelievable easy. The tent has some small extras that I didnít know about that were pleasant surprises.
    - it came with a fitted sheet
    - it has USB ports for charging
    - it also has a cable supplied to plug in to an accessory plug which works out well as I have a plug just behind the rear seats in the Landy (I thought I would have to make one)

the mattress is perfect and very comfortable even for my large frame ad I had no problems with the length. We had temps down to -4C and had a little condensation on the walls but the roof and floor didnít have any.
    pack up took a bit longer as I double checked everything like the canvas wasnít getting stuck in the scissors mechanism which it wasnít as it has a very clever set of elastic straps inside to pull the canvas in.

Overall very happy.

That is a sweet looking setup.

Friend of mine just got his ikamper, he is so disappointed in the poor quality, hard, low density, 40mm matrasse.

ikamper did contribute R1500 towards a replacement mattress, but now the shell cannot be closed with the 60mm, medium stiff, high density foam mattress. Not to mention bedding and pillows.

He don't know what to do.
    The first version of the iKamper Skycamp was criticized for the poor quality of the (thin/hard) mattress. The updated version Skycamp 2 model has a better/thicker mattress and there seem to be fewer complaints. I am of the impression that mattresses in RRTs are generally a problem. When in Africa, we rent a Land Cruiser with an Eezi-Awn. The mattress in that tent, especially when it is only covered with a sheet, is like a sleeping on a hardwood floor - very uncomfortable. In Canada, we have the advantage that even the summer nights are so that chilly that we sleep in very thick sleeping bags, which offer considerable padding between us and the mattress. As a result, we find the Skycamp 2 mattress just fine. The downside of those thick sleeping bags is that it is not possible to leave them in the tent when it is folded up.

what would be the best mattress for a RTT? if you could say fit 100mm
    Ezzac

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast