Solar System for Home ( yet another :) - Page 15

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: Solar System for Home ( yet another :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlach View Post
    Sonoff got a controller that shows power but it's for if you run something on that unit. I'm using a Shelly EM in my DB. You can check my post no #8 here. https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...16#post4402816

What nice about is, you planning to gridtie and exporting, it can show you your importing and exporting to the grid use. It can read both ways.
    Thank you, I will have a look at the EM you are using. at this point in time I am looking for the simplest solution- using solar to reduce my bill, not looking to store or export. don't feel like committing to a bigger battery setup either. my battery bank gives me an easy 8 hours so I am comfortable for even extended loadshedding events.
    Rustenburg does not have any regulations yet so I want to future proof as advised here by getting an approved inverter for the grid tie option, looking for the more cost effective options as I want to get a feel for solar first. should be a quality product though, but not the rolls Royce of inverters. also trying to get information on installers in my area so I can discuss my needs (or what I think I need) to see if my budget is realistic or not. this will give me some time to get enough information on grid tie inverters.

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Indeed. I used the same feature.

Just a thought I want to put out there:
    Because energy meter are not cheap, and won't be used after one has gone grid tied, if someone knows they want to go say i.e. Victron, I suggest they get a Carlo Gavazzi ET112 and a Venus as their first purchases on the road of going grid tied with Victron setup, to start recording the DB board data.

Titbit: Efergy is not very accurate on the spot, give you a damn good idea thought. More accurate over time when you see the data in Excel.
    Has to do with the VA it measures. More technical people can explain that in more detail.
    I am really impressed with all the features and settings of the Victron, but as I am really more a plug and play guy I think it will be overkill for me. if my chosen product works and does what it is supposed to then I will be happy. would be nice if these suggested EM devices of the Victron also worked with other inverters.

[QUOTE=the_terrible_triplett;4422865]Models on the list is based on the sales potential in a country, for apparently it is very costly to get the NRS certification done by the Test Houses.

As I said, that list WAS 8+ pages long a couple of years ago, now < 4 full pages.

So ALWAYS check the NRS list for the inverter one is interested in. "Assuming" a model is on the list, could be costly if a Munic decides to enforce SANS/NRS.

Like take the 4 x SMA's models left on the NRS list, and see their Comments section:
    Inverter may only be used in plants according to Category A3: 100 kVA - 1MVA and for grid connection with an external customer MV/LV AC transformer.

And apparently that LV AC transformer required is not cheap, as I was told last week.

Hi TTT ET-AL

Please share the cost and explain the above . ... I need to understand as this seems to be my option.

Tx
    '91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco
    '05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

Quote Originally Posted by Life View Post
    would be nice if these suggested EM devices of the Victron also worked with other inverters.
    Maybe the other manufacturers can do the same as Victron, and bring their own products out.

If you don't need batteries on the grid tie system, look at Solis.
    If most of your loads can be moved to day times, then Solis will make a huge dent on Eskom bill, without even measuring anything.

Just remember: If Eskom goes off, the Solis goes off too. If you know and understand that upfront, then you would not be caught off-guard.

FWIW, Vitron is probably middle of the range of hybrid grid tied inverters. There are more expensive solutions out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NvD42 View Post
    Like take the 4 x SMA's models left on the NRS list, and see their Comments section:
    Inverter may only be used in plants according to Category A3: 100 kVA - 1MVA and for grid connection with an external customer MV/LV AC transformer.

And apparently that LV AC transformer required is not cheap, as I was told last week.
    Hi TTT ET-AL

Please share the cost and explain the above . ... I need to understand as this seems to be my option.

Tx
    The part in bold red?
    Or the part where not all the SMA models are listed anymore?

I have no idea on SMA, SMA was used as an example to explain a 3 phase connection to me, when the developer mention that titbit about the cost of the MV/LW transformers needed x 3 on SMA if going 3phase grid tied, depending on if one has 3 meters or 1, for 3 phase power, and how the Munic measures it, and/or penalises one if the phases are out of balance. Bottom line, I'm steering clear of any 3 phase.

Best suggestion: Answers depends on what questions are asked, right?
    So ask the following question to a SMA installer:
    You want SMA, and stress that the SMA must be a currently NRS approved inverter, that you want to follow the SSEG SANS regulations to the last T (in TT), the I's dotted and the T's crossed.

Then see what they say, quote on, for SMA.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/07/07 at 02:57 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

What happens if your inverter is on the list, it gets installed and then drops of the list?

Do you have to disconnect it, because it is no longer approved?

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    What happens if your inverter is on the list, it gets installed and then drops of the list?

Do you have to disconnect it, because it is no longer approved?
    Nope. All previous inverters installed that was on the previous NRS lists, remains legal until such time as they need to be replaced.

EDIT: Install and sign-off must have taken place before the inverter NRS registration expired.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/07/07 at 03:43 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Nope. All previous inverters installed that was on the previous NRS lists, remains legal until such time as they need to be replaced.
    That's good, imagine you have to dump a good unit just because the agents don't want to blow bucks on testing certificates.

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    That's good, imagine you have to dump a good unit just because the agents don't want to blow bucks on testing certificates.
    Edited my post, for clarification: Install and sign-off must have taken place before the inverters NRS registration expired.
    Political Correctness

Some questions on MPPT's please, I have watched some videos to get an idea of how it works.

1- For a grid tied inverter with dual MPPT's that have a voltage range of 120V to 500V, would it matter at all if the output voltage of the array (DC) is higher or lower than the grid voltage (AC)? I realise that a higher output voltage on the solar panels would mean less current flowing to the inverter for a given load. What confuses me somewhat is whether or not the inverter would have to work harder (stressing the inverter) to step up the voltage, say from 200 Volts to 230Volts, than to step down the voltage from 300Volts to 230Volts?

2- One side of my roof is facing slightly north west and another smaller section is facing slightly north east. Would the following setup work or would it cause an imbalance or problems with the inverter if the voltage levels of the arrays differ? e.g. With the aim of having a smoother generation throughout the day? Having for example an array of 2kW (at 210V dc) and having another array of 1.3kW (at 160V dc).

1. Try to aim for higher than grid voltage on your MPPT. So try to aim for higher than 230V.
    That should be around 6 panels or more.
    2. That is why dual MPPT controllers is very nice. You can have two completely different strings in size and direction working for the common good.

Stress and electronics?
    Do not worry about that, really.
    Only things electronics do not like is dust, heat and water. Take that away and things tend to work a very long time.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    1. Try to aim for higher than grid voltage on your MPPT. So try to aim for higher than 230V.
    That should be around 6 panels or more.
    2. That is why dual MPPT controllers is very nice. You can have two completely different strings in size and direction working for the common good.

Stress and electronics?
    Do not worry about that, really.
    Only things electronics do not like is dust, heat and water. Take that away and things tend to work a very long time.
    Thanks Wetkit. I have not checked the measurements yet, but for argument sake, if on the smaller section of the roof which is facing north east. since stressing the inverter would not be a problem then, 4 panels at less than grid voltage would combine without any problems with the other array which is above grid voltage?

what specific standards do i search for when reading up on the SANS and NRS?

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    As the MPPT is built in the grid tied inverter they normally have a high voltage level. Here one cannot select the voltage one would like to have. There is no difference between have to increase or decrease the panel strings to match the grid voltage. My grid tied run cool even if it has to step up the voltage quite a lot to get to the grid voltage. The electronics would do the filtering and buck and boost after the DC is stepped up and then inverter or inverted and then stepped up to the level of the grid. The electronics have to work full time in order to get close to the grid frequency as well as voltage.

This is one point not to spend time on as long as the input to the inverter is above the actual starting volts required for the inverter and NEVER to exceed the PV voltage input to the inverter.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Yes, you can, it is a MPII 3kva with a VenusGX built in.
    Exactly the same price as a MPII 3kva with a VenusGX bought separate.
    Only the 3kva GX is so far NRS listed ... 5kva may or may not appear.

I have written about this before, the kettle full of fish, let me rephrase:
    If you use AC_out1 (always on DB) and AC_out2 (the main DB), then your ENTIRE house runs off the inverter.
    So if your geyser (2kw), stove (4kw), microwave (2kw) and kettle (2kw) is on, then the inverter will switch off because it is 10kw draw, overloading it.

So, how do you overcome that normal-stock-standard-on-all-inverters-limitation namely overloading it, and no massive rewiring of main DB?
    You don't use AC_out2 at all. Ever.

BUT ... because you are not using AC_out2, the inverter has NO clue to calculated the total power going through it, what is fed back etc.
    So, how do you overcome that?
    1) You use a current sensor on the main DB, plugged into the MPII - current sensor being a few hundred rand cheaper than the Carlo.
    2) You use a Carlo Gavazzi, plugged into the VenusGX, the Carlo being installed in the main DB, and inverter knows exactly what is going on

... and you have a record of all the data on your main DB and 2nd Always On DB. No brainer in my mind, to go for the Carlo.

AC_out2 is for small loads like say a caravan, a small housie with keenly managed loads -below the inverters max at all times - loads which must switch off when Eskom dies.
    Ignore it, forget it when grid tying a house.
    TTT,

The penny finally dropped, for real this time.

I get it now.

So as I understand it now.

- AC in is bi directional. Inverter gets its power from Eskom for battery charging and whatever else it needs power for.

- But this same wire will also reduce the house's Eskom requirement by sommer throwing solar and battery power terug na die main db toe.

- So hierdie AC in draad moet lekker dik wees

- Dan vrek Eskom.

- Die 2de (always on DB met die light loads) bly aan dmv die UPS funksie. Want nou het die inverter in millisekondes die AC(1) out wakker gemaak en gooi hy battery en/of sonkrag soontoe.

- En waar die tiekie nou geval het met AC out 2....

- As ek AC out 2 (which is only live whilst grid is available)... ook gebruik vir die heavy consumers, dan moet hierdie arme draad en die inverter nou onnodig hard werk permanent, terwyl hulle krag kan kry direk van Eskom af deur AC 1 in, sonder dat die inverter regtig hoef te werk.

- Nou verstaan ek wat jy bedoel met die hele huis wat deur die inverter gaan krag kry en moontlik ge overload kan word.

Die deel in rooi bo. Redeneer ek reg? AC(1) out is af terwyl die grid beskikbaar is? Of nie?
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    - AC in is bi directional. Inverter gets its power from Eskom for battery charging and whatever else it needs power for.

- Die 2de (always on DB met die light loads) bly aan dmv die UPS funksie. Want nou het die inverter in millisekondes die AC(1) out wakker gemaak en gooi hy battery en/of sonkrag soontoe.

- Nou verstaan ek wat jy bedoel met die hele huis wat deur die inverter gaan krag kry en moontlik ge overload kan word.

Die deel in rooi bo. Redeneer ek reg? AC(1) out is af terwyl die grid beskikbaar is? Of nie?
    Daarsy!!!

Net een korreksie tov die rooi deel, soos gevra: Hy is altyd aan, feed die 2nd DB die hele tyd sonder enige onderbreking as sou Eskom afgaan.
    Political Correctness

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

To TTT

I saw in an earlier post you said a smartsolar MPPT is easier than a bluesolar MPPT because of the blue tooth. Is it really worth being able to set it up with blue tooth does the blue solar just use the jumper to set charging, i have a 75/15 for camping and sort of remember that is how it is set. I had a look at the 100/30 MPPT and the blue solar is like R2300 versus R2900 for the smart solar, the larger MPPT's are only in smart solar, but for my weird roof the smaller MPPT's might work better to control separate panel set ups.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Quote Originally Posted by whatyamacallit View Post
    To TTT

I saw in an earlier post you said a smartsolar MPPT is easier than a bluesolar MPPT because of the blue tooth. Is it really worth being able to set it up with blue tooth does the blue solar just use the jumper to set charging, i have a 75/15 for camping and sort of remember that is how it is set. I had a look at the 100/30 MPPT and the blue solar is like R2300 versus R2900 for the smart solar, the larger MPPT's are only in smart solar, but for my weird roof the smaller MPPT's might work better to control separate panel set ups.
    To set the dip-switches is 100% ok.

BUT, that is not all on offer. :-)

Get 1 x VE.Direct to USB cable for all your MPPT's and save on the Bluetooth options per MPPT, way cheaper if you have more than one MPPT.

And the firmware is upgraded at times if they can improve on it, and for that you need to connect the MPPT to VictronConnect, either via Bluetooth to your phone or via VE.Direct to USB to your PC/laptop/tablet.
    Political Correctness

22. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

To TTT

The Smartsolar is really worth it in my opinion, yes you can do dip switches and you can update the firmware with a VE.Direct bluetooth smart dongle if you only have Bluesolar, but the built in bluetooth makes it that much more convenient to quickly log in and see what your MPPT is doing or to update firmware. New updates for the MPPT controllers are released quite frequently, a few times per year at least.

Yes for weird roof setups where you have panels facing in different directions or if you have unavoidable shading, multiple controllers can be better than a single big one.

Just carefully read the specs before choosing a controller, just the model number like 100/30 can be deceiving. You must check in the specs how many Watts the controller can handle, the 100/30 for example can only handle 440W in a 12V system, so connecting 2x 300W panels to it for example will be a waste since you'll never be able to utilize the full 600W of the panels.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2020/07/13 at 06:38 PM.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    The Smartsolar is really worth it in my opinion, yes you can do dip switches and you can update the firmware with a VE.Direct bluetooth smart dongle if you only have Bluesolar, but the built in bluetooth makes it that much more convenient to quickly log in and see what your MPPT is doing or to update firmware. New updates for the MPPT controllers are released quite frequently, a few times per year at least.

Yes for weird roof setups where you have panels facing in different directions or if you have unavoidable shading, multiple controllers can be better than a single big one.

Just carefully read the specs before choosing a controller, just the model number like 100/30 can be deceiving. You must check in the specs how many Watts the controller can handle, the 100/30 for example can only handle 440W in a 12V system, so connecting 2x 300W panels to it for example will be a waste since you'll never be able to utilize the full 600W of the panels.
    Thanks I did see they become quite limited if it's for 12volt but would definitely go 48Volt and then you can actually put quite a few panels. Could use one for East one for West and one for north.
    2012 Pajero Sport 3.2 A/T
    2020 Forester 2.0IS CVT
    EX: 2001 colt V6, 2010 jimny

Thanks I did see they become quite limited if it's for 12volt but would definitely go 48Volt and then you can actually put quite a few panels. Could use one for East one for West and one for north.

Just plan for future expansion right from the start, spec your controllers so that you can add say 1 more panel per string later on. Adding more panels in future is a nice way to up your capacity at a reasonable cost should it be needed.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Daarsy!!!

Net een korreksie tov die rooi deel, soos gevra: Hy is altyd aan, feed die 2nd DB die hele tyd sonder enige onderbreking as sou Eskom afgaan.

Does this count for the Goodwe hybrid grid tie inverter as well (model ES 5048)?
    and will the the inverter be able to supply the 2nd DB even without batteries, if there is enough solar capacity?

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast