Solar System for Home ( yet another :) - Page 8

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Default Re: Solar System for Home ( yet another :)

The 100 units is due to heaters. I dont want to run the heaters, under floor heating through the ups or batteries

Normal daily load is 36-40 units. Swimming pool, tumble dryer, geyser at night 17:00-22:00
    Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 DC
    Jurgens Explorer

Cobus

@plcomp you are in good hands with TTT and Gurlach, I learned plenty from their posts in the last week or 2, it always helps if someone else paid the school fees and you don't have to, plus then they are willing to share all their knowledge on top of it all.

I see you don't want to go DIY on the lithium, I myself don't quite trust my technical ability to do that yet.
    Do yourself a favour and take a serious look at Blue Nova, compare their prices with Pylontech. I like the way they do things, I like their quality and level of customer service. In a pinch and panic I called them 2 or 3 times in the last year or so and as Murphy will have it, it was after hours late on a Friday or Saturday every time. Every time I was helped with all the patience in the world by James the CEO who answered all my questions and took me threw step by step troubleshooting over the phone, this for somebody who didn't even spend serious money with the company but just happens to own one of their products.

It's the small things in life which matters to me and customer service is one of them. I think I'll even spend my money on Blue Nova if it costs a little more than the others.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cobus. Pelser View Post
    The 100 units is due to heaters. I don’t want to run the heaters, under floor heating through the ups or batteries

Normal daily load is 36-40 units. Swimming pool, tumble dryer, geyser at night 17:00-22:00
    AHA ... to lower the costs of our solar system, for wife also uses heaters, we went gas, those portable 9kg gas jobbies.

Gas is not cheaper than Eskom, but it is cheaper to go gas than spend thousands more on a bigger inverter, more batteries and panels for winter - on top of which evening use - resulting in a oversupply in summer i.e. power is there on the roof ... but one does not have the loads to use that free power.

So that is a thought to ponder on: What is more cost effective, gas or bigger system to deal with the winter heating needs, overcapitalized for summer?

OR ...

Just leave the heating on Eskom ... take off the base loads off Eskom?
    One can do that by limiting the inverters watts at night, like set it to 500w (batts depending), if you have a programmable one.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/06/19 at 11:44 AM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

[QUOTE=bigboy529;4414336]

I see you don't want to go DIY on the lithium, I myself don't quite trust my technical ability to do that yet.
    /QUOTE]

It's actually not so difficult to build a battery setup. I gave TTT a drawing and explained him what to do and he did it. What i will do is, I'm waiting for a BMS to arrive to build a 2nd bank. Will grab the GoPro and make a video showing the steps what i did.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerlach For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerlach View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    It's actually not so difficult to build a battery setup. I gave TTT a drawing and explained him what to do and he did it. What i will do is, I'm waiting for a BMS to arrive to build a 2nd bank. Will grab the GoPro and make a video showing the steps what i did.
    I absolutely agree. Do that vid Gerlach ...

Gerlach ate a lot of rice so he could understand the Chinese translations of their instructions.
    As a result of his assistance, I took what he showed me, and wrote it down in English.

So for a Daly BMS with DIY lithium cells, we have it down pat between us.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post

Gerlach ate a lot of rice so he could understand the Chinese translations of their instructions.
    As a result of his assistance, I took what he showed me, and wrote it down in English.

You have no idea how big the itch is to try, just a 12V one for another project to get my feat wet. But last year December I bought a brand new lead acid deep cycle which was stupid if looking back now, for double the price I could have built a 120Ah lithium.
    Unfortunately at this stage I can't buy another battery just because,, wants vs needs.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

You have no idea how big the itch is to try, just a 12V one for another project to get my feat wet. But last year December I bought a brand new lead acid deep cycle which was stupid if looking back now, for double the price I could have built a 120Ah lithium.
    Unfortunately at this stage I can't buy another battery just because,, wants vs needs.
    You will be surprise to see how many people are looking for 2nd hand batts.

You know you want too ... do it. Just swipe. It is painless.

Here is a thought. My 2nd hand Trojans went fast, as did the 2nd hand AGM's before that, both on Gumtree.

What I do if I bought myself into a corner, I see what the new item costs, and then I see how close I can get to the new items price.
    So what if I at times take a knock, I write that off as school fees.
    Other times I sell one item 2nd hand, for the same price as the new item, sometimes more. The buyer always gets a bargain, that's why it sells so "quick".

Point is, we should not be scared to take a knock ... the lithiums will make it worth it.
    Political Correctness

TTT het n itch gehad, maar hy wou nie krap nie, toe maak ek daai itch erger vir hom en toe moet hy van sy hande af klim wat hy op gesit het en toe koop hy daai Lifepo4's. 🤣😁😂 and the rest is history. Hahahahaa.

TTT, Gerlach and all other Victron fans and boffins.
    I would also like some advice from you first hand experience guys that have paid the school fees.

Looking for the right product for my needs.
    And I know these questions are hard sometimes to answer but please do your best with my details below. And sorry if I type beyond obvious stuff, this is more so that it can make sense to me.

I am looking at going the Victron route with regards to an inverter or an inverter charger (maybe also with MPPT)

So my needs are basically as follows (bearing in mind that I already own a Victron MPPT 150|35):

• I want to run the house (minus all heavy consumer loads with elements) from batteries at times that I choose. No need for this to happen automatically, although if this can be done through a UPS function it would be great. The Multiplus has 2 x AC outs of which one only powers up once grid power is available. So a UPS type function I believe. Maybe have all these light loads on that 2nd AC out?

• All element appliances and microwaves will be taken care of by Eskom. (I have gas backup for cooking and showering)

• So I cant see that my needs would be more then 2000Watt. I will look at a 3000Watt model to be safe. (two fridges and a chest freezer and old plasma tv all probably about 10 - 15 years old) Then lights, laptops and two routers.

• So I was thinking of adding a 2nd DB to which these light loads will go. But I also want them on Eskom. So I assume a manual change over switch takes care of this? So this switch must disconnect these light loads from the Eskom DB and simultaneously connect them to the Battery DB. Is this possible? And if the battery gets too low for my liking, I want to flick the switch and they must be back on the Eskom DB. So not connected to the grid. Or will I be with a unit that has a UPS function?

• I like the fact that some of these models can run in parallel should one wish to expand. But I do not wish to go big now. Later, much later when I have more money to splash out on a proper setup. But Id also like my setup to be able to expand to almost a proper sized system. So Im looking at models that can run in parallel.

• Id also consider a 5Kva model but it seems these only come in 48V guise. And I do not want to purchase more batteries now as I am on 24V now with 2 fairly expensive batteries.

• Ill be happy with just a proper stand alone inverter also, but I must admit the ups function and battery charging is tempting.

Looked at these ones:

1. The Multiplus (R16 500.00 Solar & Inverter Warehouse)

1. The Easy Solar (Presumably roughly R25K from old Victron catalogue)

But can unfortunately not find enough information on this model to know if it is a contender.

All I can see that it has external breakers for protection, and a 70Amp battery charger, and also a MPPT that can also do 150|70 amps. (but I already have an 150V|35 amps solar controller. I suppose I could sell it for a combo unit

1. The Phoenix Inverter (R17 250.00 Local supplier)

• Has 3 phase and parallel capability should one wish to expand
    • High start up capability for fridge compressors etc
    • No change over switch (Victron recommends to then rather go for the Multiplus)
    • As mentioned, ups and charger function would be nice, but not crucial.

What other units would serve my specific needs?

Lets say I have R20k to spend (and have to sell my MPPT.

Additional info. The solar panels and batteries are at the garage. I would need to run about 40 meters of cable to the house to where the main db is. So the Victron also needs to be in the garage.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

TTT het n itch gehad, maar hy wou nie krap nie, toe maak ek daai itch erger vir hom en toe moet hy van sy hande af klim wat hy op gesit het en toe koop hy daai Lifepo4's. 🤣😁😂 and the rest is history. Hahahahaa.
    Ain't that the truth.

I had 4 x T105RE's, 24v system. So I wanted to try 48v, I'm stuck. No for lithiums, just NO!
    Along came an opportunity to buy 4 x 6v T105's 2nd hand.
    So I did that, now I had 8 x 6v Trojan batteries, 48v, all +-5 years old.

Next WANT ... want more AH's.
    Along came an opportunity to buy couple of years old 4 x 12v 250ah Sonic AGM's 2nd hand.
    So I did that.

Now I had 8 x 6v Trojan vented lead acid and 4 x 12v Sonic 250ah sealed AGM batteries.

You cannot do that, "they" said.
    "Watch me", I said.

Because all are old, because I can change settings, because I installed a battery bank changeover switch:
    1) Set the entire banks to charging on AGM settings.
    2) And once a week, switch-off the AGM bank, and equalize them Trojan's at wot, 61v.
    Done and Dusted.

... and looi them! Time is of the essence, they are EOL. Laat waai!

But this Gerlach person, he kept on at me ... look how nice the lithiums preform. look how cool the charge amps are ... look at the new 150ah lithiums he said ...

Bliksim!!!

So I sold all them 2nd hand batts for a little bit more than the kg lead price, over 600kg of batteries,made me monies back after I tested them all with a Hawkins load tester, the Trojan's with a hydrometer too. Near original perfect condition, all of them. I knew the next person was not buying duds, with clear warnings that they ARE 2nd hand and they can fail the next day ... but you get some monies back selling them to a scrap dealer.

Rest is history as this Gerlach oke says.

Lead acid is dead in my book. You simply CANNOT compare the two technologies.
    And a DIY lithium bank, similar priced as a good quality lead acid bank.
    Political Correctness

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Lets say I have R20k to spend ...

Additional info. The solar panels and batteries are at the garage. I would need to run about 40 meters of cable to the house to where the main db is. So the Victron also needs to be in the garage.

• I want to run the house (minus all heavy consumer loads with elements) from batteries at times that I choose. No need for this to happen automatically, although if this can be done through a UPS function it would be great. The Multiplus has 2 x AC outs of which one only powers up once grid power is available. So a UPS type function I believe. Maybe have all these light loads on that 2nd AC out?

Keep the MPPT - +-2kw on it, so you may want to get a 2nd one later?
    Get a Victron Multiplus II 3kva +-R15k - future proof it ito grid tying.
    VenusGX, Carlo Gavazzi + cable +-R5k - need that for grid-tying.
    Other odds and sods extra - always are.

AC can go the distance, not DC.
    On a +-2kw array it should operate at below +-1.8kw so you won't have temp derating being grid-tied.
    But keep it as cool as you can in peak heat times, cooler electronics do last longer. Applies to all electronics.

Run the entire house off solar, and very little batteries, all automated out of the box as per your settings.

I would definitely add a BMV Smart (+-R3k) if it is lead acid, or a DIY lithium bank ... because then you can use the SOC to decide how much batteries you want to use in every 24hour cycles, feeding the house, and not break the batts ever.
    Political Correctness

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Had my sparkie over this morning. He's not doing the solar / panel install; but he'll ensure everything prior is done & signed off.

He looked for about a minute at TTT's battery diagram/pic and remarked: "I'm not scared of that!"
    .. so I'll probably also be on the bandwagon now for a DIY Lithium. Can't wait for Gerlach's Gopro movie
    Last edited by plcomp; 2020/06/19 at 04:10 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to plcomp For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the feedback, lots of reading to do.

Based in your current knowledge taking in consideration the school fees you paid and the information that you currently have, what would your complete list of equipment be if you have to build a system now?
    Solar Panels
    Inverter
    Batteries
    Ext..
    Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 DC
    Jurgens Explorer

Cobus

Ain't that the truth.

I had 4 x T105RE's, 24v system. So I wanted to try 48v, I'm stuck. No for lithiums, just NO!
    Along came an opportunity to buy 4 x 6v T105's 2nd hand.
    So I did that, now I had 8 x 6v Trojan batteries, 48v, all +-5 years old.

Next WANT ... want more AH's.
    Along came an opportunity to buy couple of years old 4 x 12v 250ah Sonic AGM's 2nd hand.
    So I did that.

Now I had 8 x 6v Trojan vented lead acid and 4 x 12v Sonic 250ah sealed AGM batteries.

You cannot do that, "they" said.
    "Watch me", I said.

Except for my main system, I am getting hold of old systems. For use in my store.

All 24V systems when they were the vogue.|
    Already have a 24V Willard battery bank, those 2V tall ones that weigh a ton.
    Getting another bank next month, plus a 5kVA 24V Victron inverter and two 250V/50A MPPT's. (all for free, just carry it away). Somewhere I have a 60A Outback MPPT as well.

Gonna use the batteries till they die. Will get some more in future and then dispose of them. Not sure of lead price, but 1.3t of battery will go a long way towards paying for a Lithium bank to replace my main 8x150Ah SonX AGM's which are 600kg by themselves.

Only thing in short supply is ....solar panels. People add to existing banks. They seem to last well.
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it." -Ronald Reagan.

MPPT Smartsolar 250/100 - This is the trickie part ito costs / panels you can install. The 249.9v is 0.1v below the 250v max volts, where it blows. :-)
    TTT but isn't there a way to safeguard oneself from this potential danger?

Quote Originally Posted by plcomp View Post
    TTT but isn't there a way to safeguard oneself from this potential danger?
    Yes, very easy.
    Level one:
    Understand that the hard coded limits of any MPPT/ PWM and NEVER exceed them i.e. the max Volts/max amps from the panels.
    Sorted.

Level two:
    It comes in when you decide series vs parallel connection of the panels, when you keep those hardcore limits in mind.
    What people miss is the cost of <20m of 6/10mm2 wire vs < 20m of 4/6mm2 wire.

5 panels in series / 4 in parallel = higher volts, lower amps = smaller wires.
    4 panels in series / 5 in parallel = higher amps, lower volts = thicker wires.
    The end watts generated ... identical.
    IF you mitigate the volt drop over the <20m by using 6/10mm2 wire vs 4/6mm2 wire.

If the above makes no sense, ask!

Next level:
    It gets really complicated, like 249.9v on a 250v MPPT, when you oversize by more than 30% of the controllers published max watts i.e. you push the max volts/amps.

You get goose bumps when you see it working and you never blow a R14k MPPT ... ever. ;-)
    Now that sounds REALLY awesome AND scary for newbies ... ... .... no it is not.

See, where you live you know for a FACT that since temp recoding started in your area, you have never seen 0C or lower temps. So you can push the limits.
    BUT ...
    You also know that IF you are pushing the limits, and you blow the MPPT on volts due to < 0C , that you are in for say a R14k MPPT replacement bill.
    You also keep in kind climate change i.e. the middle of the Karoo < 0C and THEN the sun came through the clouds onto them cold panels.

In 4x4 off-road terms: You calculate the risk, you take the risk and when you roll your 4x4 ... you pay for the repairs.

Now no newbies does that ... true.
    But with 1 years data, on max volts recorded over 1 year ... you can start taking the chance on 0.1v difference.
    I'm recording temps as we speak to push those limits for IF Eskom goes bang, I go from 3.5kw to 7kw array - i.e 100v to 249.9v.

Quote Originally Posted by plcomp View Post
    He looked for about a minute at TTT's battery diagram/pic and remarked: "I'm not scared of that!"
    .. so I'll probably also be on the bandwagon now for a DIY Lithium. Can't wait for Gerlach's Gopro movie
    Yeah, my sparky, also said no, he is AC/DC qualified, when I asked him to connect my system ... that was till I showed him.
    Today he installs solar grid-tied inverters.

BUT ... programming the systems ... that is a next level, not the sparkies domain, unless he wants to get down and dirty.
    I prefer to teach people to do their own analysis / programming, that we learn together.
    And don't worry ... as per the safeguard question above, there are certain limits you simply NEVER cross.

Based in your current knowledge taking in consideration the school fees you paid and the information that you currently have, what would your complete list of equipment be if you have to build a system now?
    Solar Panels
    Inverter
    Batteries
    Ext..
    Starting point, assuming you spend more the +-R1.5k on Eskom:
    3.5kw Array
    5kva grid-tied inverter
    Geyser timer.
    Split DB.
    Some lifestle changes like you mange your loads for peak solar generation
    ... or drop me a PM that we can chat on WhatsApp for more particular info.

Trick on these chats, sharing core general points are fine. Getting down to each individuals detailed particulars, derails / confuses the thread immensely.
    Been there, seen that.

Very thankful for other solar guru's on the forum to not derail this thread with salient legitimate hardcore high-tech details,... it derails the general baseline solar understanding.

I like pictures, don't give me maths.
    Like 5 + 5 in your mind is 10 - but I never knew you wanted to know about 1, so then, in my mind 5 + 4 = 10.

Sometimes you simply have to walk the road ... feel how it feels for YOUR particular, others maybe peculiar(?), needs ... nothing else will prepare you for solar.
    Political Correctness

22. The Following User Says Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Thank you for all the feedback, lots of reading to do.

Solar Panels
    Inverter
    Batteries
    Ext..

Kabels:
    Pv kabels: hang af jou afstand tussen jou pannels en mppt en size. Onder 30m stringe en onder 1500w per string kan jy begin met 4mm2. As jy verder gaan sn meer pannels string hardloop moet jy oor gaan 6mm2.

Tussen die mppt en battery/inverter. Hang af tussen die size amps mppt. Ek hardloop tussen my mppts en inverter 25mm2 draad en ek hardloop 60a mppts. Jy kan dukker gaan hoe meer amps jy stoot.

Tussen die batterye en inverter, begin 35mm2 per bank. Of dukker soos 50mm2. My inverter se min 50mm2 en 75mm2 recommend maar dis as jy soos 1000amp plus vrla batterue hardloop want my inverter kan tor 150amp charge.

Crimping lugs. Vir elke kabel size en punte wat vas getrek moet word.

Onthou, dit mag nie welding kabel wees nie. Dit word panel cable genoem want dit het n dubble lining om.

Fuse breaker: daar is n paar opsies daar. Ek gebruik IEC MULTIBLOC 2P fuse disconnect in my setup. 2 van hulle omdat ek 2 batterye banke hardloop. Baie goeie ding om te he want dit het n fuse binne en dit werk soos n disconnect. Jy trek aan die handle en dit trek die holder met die fuse uit.

Pv combiner box: jou pannels se strings kom basies daar by mekaar en van daar af gaan dit na die MPPT. Daar is 2 opsies binne dit. Jy kan of DC rated trip switches hardloop, of soos wat ek gemaak het, din rail fuse holders met pv Fuses. Jou kese daar. Ek hardloop op my strings op die + en die - fuses , dis elke string. Dan het ek n 1000vdc surge protector ook in. Is maar extra layer protection vir weerlig en panels wat static op bou. In die kaap is dit nie proebleem nie. Binneland raak dit n ander storie. Dan van daar af het ek 2P 63a isolater switch. Basies daar om die pannels af te switch van die mppt. Jy kan die hele pv box jou self bou.

Om joe drade nekkies te le, kan jy trunking gebruik. Daar is n paar size. Goue reel, jy mag nie jou DC en AC kabels meng nie, so hardloop hulle in hulle eie trunking.

Daar is nog n paar goed wat by kom maar hang af wat se maak setup jy gaan hardloop.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Except for my main system, I am getting hold of old systems. For use in my store.

All 24V systems when they were the vogue.|
    Already have a 24V Willard battery bank, those 2V tall ones that weigh a ton.
    Getting another bank next month, plus a 5kVA 24V Victron inverter and two 250V/50A MPPT's. (all for free, just carry it away). Somewhere I have a 60A Outback MPPT as well.

Gonna use the batteries till they die. Will get some more in future and then dispose of them. Not sure of lead price, but 1.3t of battery will go a long way towards paying for a Lithium bank to replace my main 8x150Ah SonX AGM's which are 600kg by themselves.

Only thing in short supply is ....solar panels. People add to existing banks. They seem to last well.
    Good plan, till they die ... Those are some serias batts, them Willards 2v ones!

FWIW. Before the Trojans where sold, we, Gerlach and I, found an article on matching lithiums with lead acids.

I was going there ... till I was not.

However ... the core of your post ...
    Do. NOT. Go. 24v Victron inverter - trust me ... I tried that!!!

... unless you have a serias 24v long-term plan for the future.

Why?

Carefully and with deep insight note the 24v vs 48v limits suggested on the MPPT's documentation.
    And same ah 24v lithium bank costs more than 48v today.

Unless, as I said, you have a serias 24v long-term plan for the future ... I though I did ... till I changed my mind.
    Political Correctness

Gerlach is correct ... I have no argument or debate on what he said.

But if anyone is anywhere thinking along my lines ... take a different approach.
    I got gatvol of upgrading from 12v to 24v to 48v because we always tend to run the baseline. I missed the boat - 3 times.

On a 48v system today:

Kabels: Onder 30m stringe en onder 1500w per string kan jy begin met 4mm2. As jy verder gaan sn meer pannels string hardloop moet jy oor gaan 6mm2.
    Just go min 6mm2 - hey, go 10mm2 - but not 4mm2.
    Make SURE you have the proper solar wiring.
    Why? Work out the overall cost of the wires between 10mm2 vs 6mmw2 vs 4mm2 ... and think 20 years.

Tussen die mppt en battery/inverter. Hang af tussen die size amps mppt. Ek hardloop tussen my mppts en inverter 25mm2 draad en ek hardloop 60a mppts. Jy kan dukker gaan hoe meer amps jy stoot.
    Just go min 25mm2 and be done with it.
    Why? Yes you can go 16mm2 or thinner, but how much do you save on <1m 25mm2 vs 16mm2 cable ... and think 20 years.

Tussen die batterye en inverter, begin 35mm2 per bank. Of dukker soos 50mm2. My inverter se min 50mm2 en 75mm2 recommend maar dis as jy soos 1000amp plus vrla batterue hardloop want my inverter kan tor 150amp charge.
    Just go 50mm2 and keep it below 4m return cable length. Otherwise go 70mm2 on <6m.
    Why? Work out the overall cost of the wires of LESS than 4m return length, between 50mm2 and 35mm2 ... and think 20 years.

Crimping lugs. Vir elke kabel size en punte wat vas getrek moet word.

Onthou, dit mag nie welding kabel wees nie. Dit word panel cable genoem want dit het n dubble lining om.
    O yessss!!!
    And do crimp the lugs properly with a tool. NO soldering ever. Do not crimp in your workshop clamp, no don't. Get, borrow, beg a tool to crimp. ... and think 20 years.
    Why: Been there, seen that on UPS'es and silly crimps on cables.

Pv combiner box
    Question: Are you done with the panels, never going to add?
    I used 5 x 16amp NoArk breakers with lightning protection - in Cpt yes(!) - no fuses.
    Can go from 2S/5P to 4S/5p and not touch the combiner box.
    Why: Tried a few combinations over time and each time I thought this was IT(!) ... and each time I saw me arse when I changed the array. ;-)
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/06/19 at 11:26 PM.
    Political Correctness

[249.9V risk] ...Yes, very easy
    Tx TTT your explanation (and especially the levels) makes perfect sense - I understand as far as I need to; and I'm sure that - if I apply my mind to the more technical aspects you mentioned - I'll understand that too. For me it's either level one; or 2 with an expert's advice. BUT: I am also very aware of the term "calculated risk", which in fact all of us do on a daily basis and often without thinking, like when crossing a street or driving to the SPAR for groceries . Certain risk calculations though are best left to experts / those with experience ...

Edit:- In terms of level 2 though: It seems to make sense [as per your last post] to just go 10mm and get it over with.

I'm recording temps as we speak to push those limits for IF Eskom goes bang, I go from 3.5kw to 7kw array - i.e 100v to 249.9v.
    Eish Eskom going bang - I don't even want to think about that but yes that's another risk I'll have to take; though I think the country will go bang before Eskom. But we already know that Eskom [plus don't forget the Local Auth's] will be flaky for years to come [or forever] so currently I'm planning around that fact.
    Last edited by plcomp; 2020/06/20 at 06:18 AM.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast