Solar System for Home ( yet another :) - Page 4

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Default Re: Solar System for Home ( yet another :)

Morning all,

In a previous thread, Wetkit, started a list of Steps to Follow when considering a Solar system. I would like to expand on this with the steps that follow but would like to ensure that I have them in the correct order. I will then copy and paste from this and the other thread, into the relevant sections. Please can I have some feedback that I have this in a logical order. I hope my copy and paste from word works this time.

Many thanks

Step by Step guide for Power Backup Solution

1. Terminology
      1. SSEG
      2. NRS
      3. SANS
      4. PV
      5. BMS

2. Preparation
      1. See Wetkit list

3. Requirements:
      1. Grid Tied
      2. Solar
      3. Off grid

4. AC DB
      1. Split essential circuits

5. Components
      1. Controller
      2. MPPT
      3. PV Panels
      4. Inverter
      5. BMS
      6. Batteries

6. Important
      1. Protection
      2. Cables
      3. Safety
      4. CoC

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post

So what I do - automatically:
    Battery SOC is set to no lower than 50% use.
    From 5pm, in winter, I limit my inverter to 100w - to keep the SOC for later.
    From 11pm till 9am, I limit the inverter to 500w - use the SOC to 50%.
    After 9am, back to full power, batteries are charge, if there is sun, by 11ish.
    I love this setup, so the rest of the power comes from the grid while the inverter is being limited?

Easy to setup via the settings or is some special programming necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
    Thanks for the info, seems I'll be able to get away with a lot less than R200k with the Rand at current levels
    If you shop right, you could be all in for under R100k if you start with a 3kva, DIY lithium bank etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fvh View Post
    I love this setup, so the rest of the power comes from the grid while the inverter is being limited?

Easy to setup via the settings or is some special programming necessary?
    Jip, from Eskom.
    Don't want to waste batteries on evening cooking, want to reduce the overall lower consumption loads as much as I can.

Cron job on the VenusGX:
    00 07 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/MaxDischargePower SetValue 3500
    00 15 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/MaxDischargePower SetValue 100
    00 21 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/MaxDischargePower SetValue 500

09h00 Set inverter to max 3500w
    17h00 Set inverter to 100w
    23h00 Set inverter to 500w

Have also changed the SOC with same Cron job, but something is "off" when doing that.
    When the SOC is increased via the Cron Job, the MPPT sometimes drops from max output to only enough to charge the batts, I loose a lot of power for about an hour then.
    I run the Latest Release Candidate on the VenusGX, to help test, so I have reported the findings.

What I used to do:
    00 07 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/MaxDischargePower SetValue -- -1 (Inverter as max power)
    55 08 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit SetValue 90 (Set SOC at 90% - slowly increasing the min SOC during the day)
    00 11 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/State SetValue 9 (Set batteries to Keep Charged for evening use)
    00 20 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/State SetValue 1 (Set Batteries to Optimized to be able to use the batts again)
    00 20 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/BatteryLife/MinimumSocLimit SetValue 80 (Then set the lowest SOC to 80%)
    00 20 * * * root /usr/bin/dbus -y com.victronenergy.settings /Settings/CGwacs/MaxDischargePower SetValue 300 (Limit inverter power to 300w)

00 07 - 9am
    55 08 - 10:55am
    00 20 - 10pm
    etc
    add 2 hours for SA time

Drop me a PM if you want more details FvH.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
    Morning all,

In a previous thread, Wetkit, started a list of Steps to Follow when considering a Solar system. I would like to expand on this with the steps that follow but would like to ensure that I have them in the correct order. I will then copy and paste from this and the other thread, into the relevant sections. Please can I have some feedback that I have this in a logical order. I hope my copy and paste from word works this time.

Many thanks

Step by Step guide for Power Backup Solution

1. Terminology
      1. SSEG - Small-Scale Embedded Generation
      2. NRS 097-2-1
      3. SANS - I think the latest SANS is now out, Covid-19 derailing national release. Has a few new enhancements around SSEG.
      4. PV - Photo Voltaic
      5. BMS - Battery Management System - only for lithiums, BMV for lead acid.
      6. Grid-tied inverter vs Off-Grid inverter vs Hybrid Grid-Tied inverter.
      7. To Feedback to grid or not to Feedback to grid?

2. Preparation
      1. See Wetkit list - First measure! Either with a cheap energy meter or, if one has decided on Victron for example, get a VenusGX and a Carlo Gavazzi and start recoding usage.

3. Requirements:
      1. Grid Tied
      2. Solar - remove? It is either Grid-tied or it is Off-grid.
      3. Off grid

4. AC DB
      1. Split essential circuits

5. Components
      1. Solar Charge Controller - can refer to a MPPT or a non-MPPT
      2. MPPT
      3. PV Panels and Frames
      4. Combiner Box
      5. Inverter
      6. BMS - only for lithiums, BMV for lead acid.
      7. Batteries - deep cycle SOLAR batteries or lithiums, no "deep cycle leisure" batteries i.e. UPS batteries ... unless you know what you are doing.

6. Important
      1. Protection/Safety?
      2. Cables
      3. Safety/Protection?
      4. CoC
      5. Engineers Report when legally grid tying.
    Just a few thoughts for now ... lets see where this goes.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Jip, from Eskom.
    Don't want to waste batteries on evening cooking, want to reduce the overall lower consumption loads as much as I can.

Drop me a PM if you want more details FvH.
    Thank you very much!

I am definitely going to PM you once I get all my Blue components.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fvh For This Useful Post:

Gentlemen (JohanMaree, NewLandy, Gerlach, TTT, Wetkit, and anyone I may have missed)

As JamesV said:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesV View Post
    Thanks for all the info, starting to make sense. I will go through all again tonight.

Really appreciate all the help and willingness to share your knowledge.

Kind regards

Personally, I have all the answers I asked for -- and more.

I now also know of a few questions I didn't know I had

I will need a week to go through all of this again, and again, and again, ...

Thanks again!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jcdup For This Useful Post:

Thanks TTT, I will start adding some content, will take a few days as I am supposed to be working, then post for updates.

Kind regards

Few titbits I picked up over a decade with my own DIY solar systems:

You have WANTS vs NEEDS in solar. WANTS costing a bucket load more than NEEDS.

Having been a staunch off-grid 24v supporter, because I read of the "connecting to a DB" legislation in 2010/11, I walked that path with panache, refusing to bow to the powers that be.
    Since I took the plunge to 48v hybrid grid-tied, I can now say that for the first time I'm really saving on my "investment", less "out of pocket" expenses than off-grid.
    Still not cheap, but wisely done, the ROI is there and if well managed, within a few years.

Also a point to ponder on.
    When are people using the power? Daytime and nighttime? Or just nighttime?
    Don't install solar if everyone is at work the whole day, all the usage are in the evenings ... unless you have a poolpump or such.

Was a Trojan battery supporter for years till Trojan SA dropped the ball.
    But since I bought lithiums recently, I can now say: Don't waste your money with lead acid in a solar system.
    Not only do lithiums charge faster, the system overall preforms better with lithiums, aka more savings.

And don't fret about the stove, kettle, washing machine, microwave.
    Think for a moment: How many hours per day are those items on?
    Now work out what do those items cost you per year?
    What will it cost you to move them onto solar? Will you make a ROI?

And LED lights ... work out what you are really saving?
    Obviously incandescent bulbs are a thing of the past, but saving on Eskom, it is not done with LED lights. It is but a drop in the bucket if you switch lights off behind you.

Also saw that the biggest cost ito of units, on a average home, is for usage <1000w per hour over 24/7/365.
    And as I said before ... when all is asleep, cost your power usage during that time.

Geysers, poolpumps, dryers:
    Those are the expensive items ito units.
    If you can move those items onto solar, managed wisely during peak solar production, scheduled, on top of the average daily power need of the house, then you are "cooking with solar".
    A BIG note here: Don't spec a grid tied inverter to be able to power all these heavy loads. No. Let Eskom take the peaks, the bulk coming from solar.

Gas stoves/ovens:
    Do the sums of the cost per energy unit of gas vs Eskom unit. Gas can be more expensive than Eskom.
    Keep in kind that gas sometimes runs out.

And the last point to ponder on:
    Solar panels: +-20years.
    Lithium batteries: +-10-15 years if well managed, very new for home use in SA still. Time will tell.
    Inverter / MPPT's: If the warranty given is 5 years, one would hope for 8-15 years.
    You need to make your ROI back +-5-8 years I would guess, as home solar is new to SA, to then save for the next few years to be able to replace it all again when stuff breaks.

So don't:
    Strain the inverter, nor the batteries, too hard each and every day. Use them though!
    And spend wisely i.e. going bigger is not necessarily better.

Know what loads you want to remove off Eskom, to make the biggest saving over the shortest period of time.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/06/11 at 01:44 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Interesting. There might be many more that only see off grid as the way to go as we want power 24/7/365 at any price.
    Some of us will then see the light to introduce some grid tied and save every day and use all the power the panels do provide.
    Just a word on not being at home and solar. Your geyser still needs power and so do your fridges. Nobody will switch off fridges when away from home and grid tied can provide that during the day power and cost is very low with 3yr pay back on equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Interesting. There might be many more that only see off grid as the way to go as we want power 24/7/365 at any price.
    Yes, I've seen some of those systems. Did a quick quote last night, a supplier who do high end installs for people who want to go off-grid in cities.
    To save R500 on a 10kWH battery bank ... are you sitting down ... Estimated cost: R 213 605.00
    Repayment: 16 years.

Some of us will then see the light to introduce some grid tied and save every day and use all the power the panels do provide.
    Just a word on not being at home and solar. Your geyser still needs power and so do your fridges. Nobody will switch off fridges when away from home and grid tied can provide that during the day power and cost is very low with 3yr pay back on equipment.
    YES!!! Why go 10kva if 3kva shaves off all those loads daytime that cost us the most ... at the lowest install cost with fastest ROI!?
    Save on the average load, NOT the spikes/peaks.

Seen to many people rush out and "gaan bos" with their system ... and then the batteries fail prematurely/inverters are unreliable ... and they are out of funds to replace/fix.
    Shouting: Solar does not work!

Or some go off-grid with cheaper brands, having put the oven/stove on gas, geyser on EV/PV.
    What is missed by them quoting how "cheap" they did it, is that the gas installs/PV/EV, which cost a pretty penny by themselves, are not part of their calculations.

And no, going onto gas is not "saving". Yes, you save on Eskom ... but you still incur gas costs.
    You just transferred the expense from the Eskom budget column to the gas budget column, after having spent all the money for the installation and new oven/stove.
    And using gas could cost the same as Eskom, sometime more, per unit of energy.

And in order to make use of all the potential solar with off-grid, AFTER you have re-charged the batteries, there are complicated (yet blerrie clever!!!) systems installed to switch things on and off based on irradiation, battery SOC.
    1) They cannot sell the house with that complication installed.
    2) And SWAMBO is not interested to learn either.

And don't forget the cost of the generator and the fuel, being off-grid.

Versus ...

Having gone grid tied, putting geysers on a cheap GeyserWise timer using a 2kw element, scheduled, same as the off-grid oaks do, just simpler and SWAMBO can handle it, house can be sold as is.
    And you don't incur the cost of EV/PV system on top of the solar install.

We all need to grasp this:
    Grid tied save much more because the entire house benefits from the panels all day long.
    The 2nd DB on grid-tied, you do that because you want to power selected circuits, automatically, when Eskom is off at night.
    ... and so that you can go for the minimum battery bank you can get away with.

If you have a pool pump (1kw) and want to heat a geyser (2kw) then plan it like this being grid tied:
    Pump is on from 9am to 3pm.
    Gesyer on from 11am - 1pm
    House draw is 500w per hour
    So peak daytime, 11am - 1pm = +-3.5kw so 5kva inverter and 4-5kw array.

9am is still not peak solar hours, but the 4-5kw array will help a LOT to shave off 2kw.
    Same from 2pm and later.

Remember re. stove/oven:
    Off-grid you need to have a big enough inverter + panels + batteries/generator to power the 4kw draw right?
    On grid tied: 4kw for 2 hours.
    Your solar can supply 2kw at the time, so you save 50% of the power draw.
    Now that 2kw for 2 hours at R2 per kw = R8.
    The question one must ask:
    What will it cost you to save the additional R8 when you use the stove/oven?
    How long to recoup that R8 saved?

Remember re. microwave/kettle/induction plates:
    They all tend to be +-2kw right, so if one is not heating a geyser at the time, they are as free as the panels can produce.
    And note: These types of loads are on for minutes at a time, not hours every single day like a geyser, pool pump.
    So if you want to remove these types of loads off Eskom, how much will you save, and at want expense?
    My point: Certain loads are just not worth worrying about at all.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/06/12 at 02:51 PM.
    Political Correctness

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_terrible_triplett For This Useful Post:

Over the last 5 years 3 friends admitted that their big solar systems were not working and asked me to look and assist. Big battery banks being wasted. 1 system the auto changeover would not work and such a simple thing caused the system to be in disuse. As you said.... Another system was big enough to handle even the stove and wired as such just to see 200Ah batteries bulged.
    This left me with 3 out of 3 not working well and that was years before I went the solar route.
    My own small back up for LS times will need ongoing money to change batteries as a consumable but the grid tied will pay for itself in 3 years. No ongoing expense. No effort to monitor anything while it produces every Watt that the sun produces... Rain or shine. No splitting of DB and saves no matter what load is using power.
    It costs us dearly to be able to use a finger for the 20 days a year of LS.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2020/06/13 at 09:04 AM.

This morning the sub serving a large part of Pta East tripped, I only noticed when I left home and all the robots were dead all over.

Everything in my home is still working, the borehole is irrigating the grass, geyser is heating up, pool pump did its cycle.

It's lekker when the grid is not a need
    Last edited by faniedup; 2020/06/13 at 01:35 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    This morning the sub serving a large part of Pta East tripped, I only noticed when I left home and all the robots were dead all over.

Everything in my home is still working, the borehole is irrigating the grass, geyser is heating up, pool pump did its cycle.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post

Jip!!! Dit is die lekker part van als!!! Tot die vrou geniet want haar lewe staan dan nie stil nie. Aan die begin toe ek besig was met my hele setup, toe se sy dis geld mors, nou is dit elke cent werd se sy.

Lag lekker toe ons load shedding gehad het, so staan maak en tuin nat, buurman oor kant die pad vrae, hoe kry jy dit reg, ek se vir hom ek is op sonkrag, skit sy kop en stap weg. Buur vrou kry mense, ons load shedding is 10:30pm. So staan sy met haar kuier mense buite, krag gaan af en dis donker maar my huis is aan, ek kan hoor daar word vrae gevrae buite hoekom my huis se ligte skyn. Hahahahahaha. Fun times.

My grasperk hardloop langs mu buurmand se driveway, so ons maak beerte om sommer gras te sny. Nou die dag gooi ek die krag draad sommer sy kant toe terwyl hy grass sny. Ek maak sommer hule tuin nat van my kant af as hulle op vakansie is. 🤣😁

It costs us dearly to be able to use a finger for the 20 days a year of LS.
    So true.

Few years ago during load shedding, we where the only house lit between hundreds. We can see down the valley. Dark everywhere, some houses using camping lights/candles.
    Then a few months later, a lot more lights where on. Generators, UPS'es etc.
    Then load shedding went away for a long while, only to return ... again one saw dark everywhere, camping lights/candles in some houses.

Why? Batteries where shot/overused before, generators tanks empty/not serviced, or stuff packed away/disconnected.

Me, I just though how much money was wasted because of the panic buys when stock was not to be found, or prices went thought the roof.

When people ask me, what would I do, I share this:
    1) For the +-2 hour Eskom failures, we all have camping stuff to overcome that. Or get gas/LED portable lights, single portable gas plate for cooking etc. Do it cheap!

2) If one has a home office, need power to earn a income, still no need for a solar system. Get a good UPS with enough batteries!

If you must have panels:
    1) Grid-tied systems, no batteries, same as Eskom failures, Eskom goes down, your solar goes down too. BUT, you save a ton when Eskom is on ... IF you can use the power daytime of course!
    So an idea, as discussed on other threads, a grid tied inverter with a UPS is a good/cheaper combination to also look at.

2) A Hybrid Grid-tied systems only makes sense if 1) first you want to cut your electricity bill substantially and as 2) a bonus, you want to power through Eskom failures ... daytime AND evenings.

Note: When Eskom is off, a Hybrid Grid tied system will first use the panels before the using the batteries, if their is ample sun.

Be very sure WHY you want panels ... remember "WANTS" vs "NEEDS".
    And less I forget. If solar is a hobby, then remember, there is no price tag involved.
    Political Correctness

@TTT Always nice to say I get along without grid. It does come at a price and ongoing expense.

Great summary of options. One can still use the grid tied to keep batteries charged for a 2nd inverter for back up system. That way makes the best financial sense with good ROI. One might not be able to run power guzzlers but can power entertainment and routers and laptops during LS.

So true.

Few years ago during load shedding, we where the only house lit between hundreds. We can see down the valley. Dark everywhere, some houses using camping lights/candles.
    Then a few months later, a lot more lights where on. Generators, UPS'es etc.
    Then load shedding went away for a long while, only to return ... again one saw dark everywhere, camping lights/candles in some houses.

Why? Batteries where shot/overused before, generators tanks empty/not serviced, or stuff packed away/disconnected.

Me, I just though how much money was wasted because of the panic buys when stock was not to be found, or prices went thought the roof.

When people ask me, what would I do, I share this:
    1) For the +-2 hour Eskom failures, we all have camping stuff to overcome that. Or get gas/LED portable lights, single portable gas plate for cooking etc. Do it cheap!

2) If one has a home office, need power to earn a income, still no need for a solar system. Get a good UPS with enough batteries!

If you must have panels:
    1) Grid-tied systems, no batteries, same as Eskom failures, Eskom goes down, your solar goes down too. BUT, you save a ton when Eskom is on ... IF you can use the power daytime of course!
    So an idea, as discussed on other threads, a grid tied inverter with a UPS is a good/cheaper combination to also look at.

2) A Hybrid Grid-tied systems only makes sense if 1) first you want to cut your electricity bill substantially and as 2) a bonus, you want to power through Eskom failures ... daytime AND evenings.

Note: When Eskom is off, a Hybrid Grid tied system will first use the panels before the using the batteries, if their is ample sun.

Be very sure WHY you want panels ... remember "WANTS" vs "NEEDS".
    And less I forget. If solar is a hobby, then remember, there is no price tag involved.

I'm currently between 1 and 2, I get bye with the camping stuff and then a UPS for the computers during LS, I can even charge the UPS batteries with the camping solar should it be needed.

Do I want to go grid tied or hybrid, hell yes. If looking at it realistically do I see it being worth it and the saving in doing it, no.

I started saying this a few years ago already, if you build a house today and you don't incorporate a solar system at the minimum grid tied in to it right from the start you are crazy, in fact in my opinion solar systems should be part of any new builds by law.

But laying out a lot of money whether you borrow it or not to switch over your existing home and bargain on a ROI and saving over time is a big gamble and can be a very fine line.

Again as TTT says, wants vs needs.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

The cost of batteries is what really sours solar.

However, when Escom finally collapses (yes, I'm a realist) and load-shedding becomes a 12 hr on/off event, like Zimbabwe, then the batteries will become priceless.

Unfortunately, as someone told me, when escom is down for 12 hrs over 2-3 days, the cell towers batteries go flat, no more internet etc..

So, it's going to be a long, hard 12 hours of downtime..
    Last edited by NewLandy; 2020/06/14 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post

Do I want to go grid tied or hybrid, hell yes. If looking at it realistically do I see it being worth it and the saving in doing it, no.

But laying out a lot of money whether you borrow it or not to switch over your existing home and bargain on a ROI and saving over time is a big gamble and can be a very fine line.
    Well at below R30 000 cost for panels and inverter via grid tied (2kW PV and inverter) that can lower the grid use by 8kWh per day saving R500 pm on the power cost makes financial sense.

One can only calculate based on the present and most likely outcome.

The unknown of not having a grid during the day is possible but with most bad things we tend to see the worst side that normally does not happen. Should we have more LS then one needs to adapt and have a system with more storage. As long as we have a reliable schedule one can set geyser on times for when the grid is on the use of grid tied will still be a plus.

Another thing that happens after a while on solar.
    When you start keeping an eye on your data, there is this thing that happens ... you start getting "panicky/over zealous/have to have" that part/more inverter/more batteries - read have to spend more monies because of a "perceived" problem/NEED or a WANT.

Not the case when one install all smaller to first "feel/walk the talk/slowly expand", no ... BUT ... it CAN also happen there so be wise!

I've been caught myself many a time late at night so I'm very cautious now on using my kbd and CC when I see new things becoming available on the internet for solar.
    "Sitting on my hands drooling over the kbd" as they say.

Like right now I have a brand new BMS, it works, but now I want data.
    So looking at the ones that interfaces, that gives the data, the control ... and they cost the price of a kidney.
    Do I NEED it or WANT it?
    How long will the BMS last?

The good thing is that in the chat with Gerlach, this question came about:
    Does the BMS do the work or does it pass the work back to the system, i.e. BMS does not cut the discharge/charge, it passes that work back to the inverter.
    So the BMS is simpler in design so it should last longer, cheaper like half a kidney, than having to deal with the charge/discharge amps all the time.
    Sometimes good things do come from just looking. :-)
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2020/06/15 at 09:22 AM.
    Political Correctness

Please note, I picked up a problem in Montagu, the 3,5kW limit applies to the Inverter size, my inverter is 5kW. I have to install a dedicated cable from transformer to my house. Another R30 000.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast