Trailer parking "jacks" to preserve tyres

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trailer parking "jacks" to preserve tyres

Hi All. I'm looking for an easy solution to lifting the trailer wheels off the ground to preserve them when the trailer is not used for extended periods of time (a few months at a time). Trailer is pretty heavy at 1.5 tons and I have tried the regular (tripod like) jack stands, which require you to jack up each side of the trailer, slide the jack under and then lower and redo on the other side. Quite a schlep and looking for something easier. I have stabilizer legs (those that flip up when driving and drop down when wanting to use them), but my understanding is they aren't meant to take the whole weight of the trailer, but merely steady it at campsites. Is there a similar option that can be used to completely lift the trailer off the ground, without having separate jacks and stands etc. Also, is it true you should never put the jack stands onto the axle, but rather onto the chassis itself? The chassis is a fair bit higher than the axle and I couldn't make the normal tripod jack stands tall enough to reach the chassis and also still lift the tyres off the ground. Would really appreciate any other ideas which may help with preserving tyres when not in use, other than taking them off and storing in a garage etc. as I don't have and place to store them, so they need to stay on the trailer unfortunately. Thanks

Default Re: Trailer parking "jacks" to preserve tyres

What about ratchet jack stands?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Install Alko lifting legs. I installed that on my trailer at the rear. For the front I just lift by jockey wheel, and then I place small tripod stands beneath so that the jockey wheel is also not under preasure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	574961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	574962

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfisher View Post
    Install Alko lifting legs. I installed that on my trailer at the rear. For the front I just lift by jockey wheel, and then I place small tripod stands beneath so that the jockey wheel is also not under preasure. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG 
Views:	260 
Size:	159.7 KB 
ID:	574961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	574962
    The Alko's are actually not lifting legs....there are other products for that.Look on the Roadque cataloguer on website. The ALKO's are support only and have limited capacity. Why would you need to take pressure of a solid rubber jockey wheel?
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What about ratchet jack stands?
    Thanks. That's what I have been using, but trying to find a simpler option. Having to use a jack to lift the trailer before you can push the stand in under the axle or chassis is what I'm trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    The Alko's are actually not lifting legs....there are other products for that.Look on the Roadque cataloguer on website. The ALKO's are support only and have limited capacity. Why would you need to take pressure of a solid rubber jockey wheel?
    I have ones fitted like in the picture, but as you say, they aren't meant to carry heavy loads. I intend to just jack up the back, front will stay on the jockey wheel.

I checked the Roadque catalogue, but nothing has capacity ratings. How does one know what stands would support 1.5tons? They do actually show the ALKO swivel type stands under "lifting legs" in their catalogue. Also show a Heavy Duty one, but without details on load capacity.

Get someone to make you a set of these, or buy them. I really like these, seem to be just the business

https://youtu.be/eftsaQXEN2s
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Love your neighbour. Thatís about it, itíll be the world we want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Get someone to make you a set of these, or buy them. I really like these, seem to be just the business

https://youtu.be/eftsaQXEN2s
    Very clever idea. I like those, but don't look appropriate for long term use, more like a quick tyre change. Thanks for the idea though.

The ones I bought has 1ton lifting rating each. So the two together safely has enough capacity to lift the rear and support it for extended periods. I feel its better to support the trailer in the front on both channels about 300-400mm from the hitch than just on the jockey wheel. I also think of installing 2 lifting legs on the front as well

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gungets Tuft View Post
    Get someone to make you a set of these, or buy them. I really like these, seem to be just the business https://youtu.be/eftsaQXEN2s
    One can only lift one wheel at a time with those. Put both sides and the trailer will sway off sideways.

Plus they are intended for use with the trailer hitched to the car,
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2020/06/09 at 05:28 AM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" and wise at 850 000 km
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty at 108 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" Braked Axle fitted at +51 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" at 122 000 km
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

Park your trailer on rubber strip door mats and you'll never have a problem.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Park your trailer on rubber strip door mats and you'll never have a problem.
    Thanks duncang. That is an interesting idea, could you possibly elaborate further? I thought the problem with tyres sitting in one spot for an extended period related to excessive pressure on one area of the tyre causing potential flat spots. How would rubber mats prevent this? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    One can only lift one wheel at a time with those. Put both sides and the trailer will sway off sideways.

Plus they are intended for use with the trailer hitched to the car,
    Agree, since you have to climb under the trailer, install the device, climb out, start car and reverse trailer. You might as well stay under trailer and just jack up and put stands under neither.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I do not think this is a thing to be worried about? I have a 20 year old offroad trailer that sometimes sits for a year in one place.
    It's still on its original tyres and bearings. I have used it extensively.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    I do not think this is a thing to be worried about? I have a 20 year old offroad trailer that sometimes sits for a year in one place.

Mmmmmm you know that tyres have a lifespan after the manufacture date regardless of how good they look?
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljbezuidenhout View Post
    Thanks duncang. That is an interesting idea, could you possibly elaborate further? I thought the problem with tyres sitting in one spot for an extended period related to excessive pressure on one area of the tyre causing potential flat spots. How would rubber mats prevent this? Thanks
    Strip mats allow rain to pass by so the tyres remain dry. " a few months " is absolutely nothing to worry about, nothing will happen to your tyres at all. You can maybe move the trailer 6 inches every month if you feel better but not necessary.
    Remember all tyres have date of manufacture on them , have a look.
    Keep sun off the tyres.
    I have had caravans forever , always parked on rubber mats, never had problem , never had a blowout or sidewall failure.
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !

Ford Figo 2016

I get a feeling this will be an expensive solution to a very simple, once in a blue moon problem.

Get a decent high lift 3 ton trolley jack, jack the trailer up, put in ratchet jack stands, lower the trailer onto the stands.

10 minutes at the outside every 3 months?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I get a feeling this will be an expensive solution to a very simple, once in a blue moon problem.

Get a decent high lift 3 ton trolley jack, jack the trailer up, put in ratchet jack stands, lower the trailer onto the stands.

10 minutes at the outside every 3 months?
    I did exactly this. But then I decided to make it even easier with the alko legs, and they also assist in leveling the trailer when camping, so two flies with one klap!

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    Agree, same as mine and never experienced any problem as long as the trailer is parked in a garage and not outside under a carport where it gets wet from rain.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rustic Camp For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast