Solar system for off grid camping - Page 3





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 51 of 51
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Alberton
    Posts
    57
    Thanked: 16

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    I have been running my Snomaster 81.5 litre dual door fridge, both compartments set at -10, from the load output on the Victron. Its been going for roughly 36 hrs now. Battery level went from 13.31v down to 12.86v. The peak load I've seen so far has been about 3.2a. I haven't connected the panels yet, want to see how well the battery does over time. So far I'm very pleased.
    2020 Mahindra Pikup S10 2.2 mHawk 4x4 DC Karoo

    2016 Jurgens XT120 w/ HM TTT

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGn...m4fRo7Igigulg/

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudolfweyers84 For This Useful Post:


  3. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolfweyers84 View Post
    I have been running my Snomaster 81.5 litre dual door fridge, both compartments set at -10, from the load output on the Victron. Its been going for roughly 36 hrs now. Battery level went from 13.31v down to 12.86v. The peak load I've seen so far has been about 3.2a. I haven't connected the panels yet, want to see how well the battery does over time. So far I'm very pleased.
    How did you manage that? Is there perhaps an update that fixed the problem on the load output?

    Looks like I need to re-test this.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    57
    Posts
    133
    Thanked: 45

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudolfweyers84 View Post
    Good day, I have done some research on what is needed for a off grid solar system for camping.

    I have the following items that would need 220v

    Fans for the hot summer days - about 120w in total
    Ice machine - not sure what the peak watts on it is
    Toaster (Can do without)
    Kettle (Can do without)
    Phone/Camera charging

    The following can all run on 12v

    LED strip lights - about 48w in total if all used at the same time
    Snomaster fridge/freezer

    From my calculations I would need about 140w of panel generating capacity, so will go with a larger panel, options are

    2 x 100w (Brand: Badger) from 4x4 direct
    1 x 300w (Brand: Canadian Solar from Preston Solar

    Charge Controller
    15amp MPPT Victron charge controller

    Battery
    120aH / 180ah OmniPOwer deep cycle battery

    Inverter
    1000w 12/24v to 220v Pure sine wave inverter.

    Will this all be compatible with each other, and will it allow for further expansion of the system? Is there something else needed?

    Regards
    I agree with the Omnipower battery.

    You may consider the Omnipower 240Ah AGM/Gel hybrid. Not so much bigger than the 180AH, but with more Amps and you can discharge it to 20%. With the bigger capacity you wil not drain it so much, so it will last longer. The Said battery has a design life of 12 years, so it can last longer.
    Groete / Regards
    Johan
    "Storieman"
    www.johancrous.co.za

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by rudyb View Post
    How did you manage that? Is there perhaps an update that fixed the problem on the load output?

    Looks like I need to re-test this.
    I've also been looking into this issue where the output on the mppt trips when a fridge is connected, it seems like it was part of the hardware design of the mppt to protect itself, there is a lot of discussion on the Victron forums about this, but essentially Victron did release a new version of the SmartSolar controllers, with updated hardware design, that allows a higher startup current to allow fridges to run off of the output, but it looks like they only started shipping these versions from their warehouses Q1 this year.

    Here is the link to one of the answers to one of the posts that explains this a bit more and includes the serials from when the update was made:

    https://community.victronenergy.com/...3557/view.html

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to woogs For This Useful Post:


  7. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    42
    Posts
    145
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Thank you for your response. That helps allot especially because I'm planning a conversion to lifepo4 and may need to wire a low voltage disconnect.

    Knowing that it's a hardware issue I can move on and rather use the load output on a relay for purpose as someone suggested on the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by woogs View Post
    I've also been looking into this issue where the output on the mppt trips when a fridge is connected, it seems like it was part of the hardware design of the mppt to protect itself, there is a lot of discussion on the Victron forums about this, but essentially Victron did release a new version of the SmartSolar controllers, with updated hardware design, that allows a higher startup current to allow fridges to run off of the output, but it looks like they only started shipping these versions from their warehouses Q1 this year.

    Here is the link to one of the answers to one of the posts that explains this a bit more and includes the serials from when the update was made:

    https://community.victronenergy.com/...3557/view.html

  8. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by rudyb View Post
    Thank you for your response. That helps allot especially because I'm planning a conversion to lifepo4 and may need to wire a low voltage disconnect.

    Knowing that it's a hardware issue I can move on and rather use the load output on a relay for purpose as someone suggested on the forum.
    No problem, if you really want to run stuff off the output to see and track how much power is being consumed, you can look at using something called a NTC which changes the way the current is drawn (I think) from the mppt output which prevents it from tripping. Too be honest things got a bit too technical for me, but if you're interested here is a link to the thread where some users discussed this and had some success in using a NTC:

    https://community.victronenergy.com/...tches-off.html

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to woogs For This Useful Post:


  10. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    57
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by RiaanJ View Post
    Stay away from all AC devices if you can.... most can be found in DC anyway.

    But spend your battery money better... Those large Omnipowers are heavy, their efficiency is below 75%, they will not last for the cycles as advertised because you will regulay take them down to 20%SOC.

    Much better idea is a 120ah lifepo4, you can use virtually the full capacity every time, no damage to the battery, 95+% efficiency, charges much faster, weighs 15kg max....... And you can build it yourself!!!

    I need a bit of advice please is these worth going for and witch one should I go for:

    https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/col...sphate-diy-kit

    https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/col...sphate-diy-kit

    Are there more people in South Africa that sell these kits?

    Will I be able to use my existing DC to DC setup (Victron BlueSolar MPPT 75_15 and two 100 Watt solar panels) to charge this LiFePO4 battery pack

    Any advice will be appreciated

    Thanks
    Johan
    Last edited by Sakcyb; Yesterday at 12:28 PM.
    Thanks
    Johan Cloete

  11. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,153
    Thanked: 489

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakcyb View Post
    I need a bit of advice please is these worth going for and witch one should I go for:

    https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/col...sphate-diy-kit

    https://lithiumbatteriessa.co.za/col...sphate-diy-kit

    Are there more people in South Africa that sell these kits?

    Will I be able to use my existing DC to DC setup (Victron BlueSolar MPPT 75_15 and two 100 Watt solar panels) to charge this LiFePO4 battery pack

    Any advice will be appreciated

    Thanks
    Johan

    Hi
    There are others in SA who sell second life cells, but as far as I know these are the best price, others are more expensive.
    In terms of your Smartsolar 75/15 working, yes it will work perfectly, just remember to change its settings to charge a lithium battery. What DC-DC charger do you have, you don't say?
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:


  13. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    57
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Hi
    There are others in SA who sell second life cells, but as far as I know these are the best price, others are more expensive.
    In terms of your Smartsolar 75/15 working, yes it will work perfectly, just remember to change its settings to charge a lithium battery. What DC-DC charger do you have, you don't say?
    I have the Smartsolar 75/15 and a WRND DC to DC and I did order the DIY kit for the LiFePO4 battery pack
    Last edited by Sakcyb; Today at 01:39 AM.
    Thanks
    Johan Cloete

  14. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,153
    Thanked: 489

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakcyb View Post
    I have the Smartsolar 75/15 and a WRND DC to DC and I did order the DIY kit for the LiFePO4 battery pack


    Someone else on the forum posted that WRND told them their DC-DC charger is lithium compatible, maybe just contact them directly and double check, I don't know the product.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:


  16. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    57
    Posts
    20
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Solar system for off grid camping

    Copy of reply from WRND

    Hi,

    Yes, you can. We designed it to be compatible with both lead-acid and lithium (lifepo4) batteries.

    Kind regards
    Wean


    On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 12:37 PM Johan Cloete <[email protected]> wrote:
    Can I charge a litium battery (LifePo4) as the second battery with your dual battery DC to DC controller?



    --
    WRND Electronic Eng.
    ------------------
    Wan de Wet NDip: Elec.Eng | BTech: Elec.Eng | CTS: ACE
    +27 82 728 4191
    Sonstraal
    Durbanville
    Cape Town

    www.wrnd.co.za
    Last edited by Sakcyb; Today at 02:34 PM.
    Thanks
    Johan Cloete

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •