Best Bakkie for the farm? Advice needed - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Best Bakkie for the farm? Advice needed

My 10 cents worth is this:
    I a Hilux SRX for the farm, a Ford Ranger for towing the caravan off road, and I had a Mahindra bakkie
    If I was you, I would buy a New Mahindra and give it to your staff. Take you Hilux for yourself and clean it up.
    That way you have a guarantee and a reliable vehicle for you town trips.
    You go a long way to beat the value for money in a Mahindra if, as you say, you are on a budget.
    You loose later on resale value, but you will do better than buying a used bakkie thats done over 200k

Just get that Mahindra new with a guarantee. Buddy of mine is now already on his second diff, and a few other issues he is fighting with. And that car is not even used off road, or on a farm.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

OK at that price it makes sense to get a cruiser even with the higher fuel consumption
    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    There are some very nice 4.2 Diesel 70 Series Cruisers out there for under R200k. Friend bought one in mint condition about 2 years ago for R130k.

Ek doen te veel km vir n sfa.
    Ek het n 4x2 ifs vir 95% van my km. En n ouer diesel patrol vir die tough stuff.

Kan nie onthou wanneer laas my patrol meer as 40km van plaas af was. Maar daarxwaar hyvgereeld kom, was my ifs nog nooit.

Maar ek sien myself nie elke dag 200km, soms 700km, doen in n sfa voertuig.

My grondpaaie is sleg, maar nie nodig vir 4x4.
    Ek sleep bitter baie my dubbelas sleepwa met voertuie of2 ton vrag op. Maar baie eerder met n ifs as met sfa offroader. Al speel die patrol met wa, gewig en krag.

So, in kort. Horses for courses. Meeste van werk sal n R250k nuwe bakkie perfek werk. Kry n R50k 4x4 vir die ander 5%.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluImpi View Post
    Hi everyone.

Thank you for all the advice and input. I didnt think much about the Tata”s or Mahindra”s. I will go read some reviews. Dont know those vehicles at all.

So general consensus is that a ranger is not suited for farm work. I somewhat agree, although I do see more and more farmers with Rangers.

I had a look at some older cruisers, they will be great for the farm, but when we do the 200km round trip twice a week on the highway, I think I will start to feel the fuel bill.

What is the fuel consumption like on the 2,5 tdi NP300?
    In my case with a 2,5tdi, and a 2ton load, i did an average of 15/16l per 100km. This is for trips between PE and JHB, PE and wild coast, Wild coast and JHB, so basically trips of 1000km's at a time. Heavy on diesel, but cheap to maintain, and this is always the balance. i.e. cost of ownership. Remember that the bakkie is not rated for this size load, and for good reason, the trailer will push it around a bit - critical to have load plus 100kg on the nose to avoid potentially disastrous trailer sway.
    Last edited by WaynePr; 2020/06/17 at 08:34 AM.

My understanding of farm bakkies is they must work as much as possible. Downtime is a big problem. The nearest and best service dealership in terms of spares supply and service should have the biggest impact on the bakkie you choose. I know Eastern Cape farmers have a great Isuzu network and so Isuzu are common.A good Ford dealer in Natal ensured many farmers around him drove Ford tractors and bakkies.

IN SA the NP300 is a new bakkie available at a reasonable price with simple reliable engine and drive train. It is locally made and spares are reasonable. Sadly in my experience the service network lets the whole Nissan name down. Toyota, Isuzu and Ford are also made in SA with ready spares. All the other bakkies rely on an Imperial Holdings or other equivalent company to supply the dealers. Depending on market fortunes and cash flow spares are not always reliably available.

2012 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE - Amazingly competent
    2014 Crosspolo 1.2TSI - General runabout
    2011 KTM 990 Adventure - The classic can do bike
    Sadly sold: 2004 Disco 2 V8 - My beach cottage no more
    Finally retired: 2006 Volvo XC70 - Swambo's platkar that could

Gister 2.9 ton op 800kg sleepwa gelaai. Nog 700kg in bakkie.

Sal nie s hy het gesukkel. Kon nog gemaklik 100km/h ry.
    Name:  IMG_1258.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  190.4 KB
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluImpi View Post
    Hi guys.

So I have a 2011 Amarok for overlanding, and a 2018 single cab Hilux SRX as my farm bakkie.

I recently moved to a bigger farm, so the workload and the staff became more. My SRX is now being driven by the staff more than me, and we are struggling with only the one single cab for farm use.

Im not really keen to draft the Amarok into farm duty as its rather kitted out for overlanding.

Im got a budget of around R200k and in this range I seem to be able to get the previous shape Hilux with either close to 200 000km or over, I seem to be able to get Ford Rangers or Nissan Hardbodies with less than 150 000kms on the clock. Most of these vehicles in my budget being between 3-5 years old.

Hiluxes Im well familiar with, but have never driven a Ranger or Hardbody. Im looking for a diesel and 4x4 is a must. Im a vegetable farmer, so the bakkie will be used for farm work as well as taking a ton of cabbage plus a 2 ton trailer to the Durban market
    On a weekly basis. We farm close to Howick, so this is a 200km round trip.

Would you guys recommend I go for a higher kilometer Hilux, or the ranger or the hardbody?

At this stage I must say, the simplicity and basic NP300 looks to me like a good option, but would like to hear from the guys who know these vehicles.

Kind Regards
    Waldo
    Also have a look at the Isuzu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3