Off road trailer advise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Off road trailer advise

Morning all

We (family of 4) are starting to plan a two week trip to Namibia next year (Thanks to Covid not sure of exact time yet). The idea is to travel from spot to spot and in some cases stay over one night and in other cases more than one night. I am looking at renting an off road trailer for the trip and am requesting advice please. Understandably we all have personal favourites but what I am trying to research is to figure out which trailer is best suited for such a trip. I am looking for a trailer that is relatively easy and quick to set up in the evening and then to break up camp as well.

All comments and input will be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Basil Peetz
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland
    2013 Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Default Re: Off road trailer advise

Have you thought about renting an "offroad" caravan. Camping trailers by their nature are a lot more work to setup and break down, especially for 4 people to sleep.
    Maybe something like the Imagine Trailvan or similar.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Best thing you can do is to rent a few different options for a weekend.

What seems like a good idea at the time, might not work when you actually try it out.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

RTT trailer takes about a hour to pitch and another hour to pack away for overnight stops. Double that to pack everything out for longer stops.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to desdrake For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Off road trailer advice

Hi Tony, I just assumed a caravan would be a lot heavier and more difficult to manoeuvre but will have a look. Thanks!
    Basil Peetz

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Peetz View Post
    Morning all

We (family of 4) are starting to plan a two week trip to Namibia next year (Thanks to Covid not sure of exact time yet). The idea is to travel from spot to spot and in some cases stay over one night and in other cases more than one night. I am looking at renting an off road trailer for the trip and am requesting advice please. Understandably we all have personal favourites but what I am trying to research is to figure out which trailer is best suited for such a trip. I am looking for a trailer that is relatively easy and quick to set up in the evening and then to break up camp as well.

Thank you!
    Morning, we have a fully fitted Echo 4 trailer. When we tour like you are wanting to do, I take off all the awnings, leaving me to open the tent and knock in 4 corner pegs. 15 mins Max. I only leave the awnings on for weekends away or trips that we will stay for a few days.

As stated above, with awnings and poles, setup can easily be an hour. This is a schlep to do repeatedly while touring.

You donít say when next year, but I need to qualify that my tours happen in the middle of the year and not the Namibian rainy season...then you will want an awning.

My 2c...
    Last edited by vnielsen; 2020/06/07 at 11:20 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

There are some reasonably light weight caravans out there (thinking of X-cape) and similar.
    One thing I learned about camping in trailer & caravans, setting up is a sure way of raising tension levels between SWAMBO and myself, so the easier the better.
    2011 JK Wrangler Rubicon 3.8

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TonyP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    There are some reasonably light weight caravans out there (thinking of X-cape) and similar.
    One thing I learned about camping in trailer & caravans, setting up is a sure way of raising tension levels between SWAMBO and myself, so the easier the better.
    Agree about SWAMBO

You can rent my Nano Canít get any easier then that to setup
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Go anywhere
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold

Bush Lapa. 5 minutes to set up.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)

They the echo chobe. Lightweight, easy to setup and really compact

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepfamily For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    You can rent my Nano Canít get any easier then that to setup

Quote Originally Posted by Basil Peetz View Post
    Morning all

We (family of 4) are starting to plan a two week trip to Namibia next year .................

Thank you!
    Nano is a great mini van but for 4 people??............

Quote Originally Posted by desdrake View Post
    RTT trailer takes about a hour to pitch and another hour to pack away for overnight stops. Double that to pack everything out for longer stops.
    You are doing it all wrong, even a rookie does it in half that time the first time out. A rooftop tent on a high vehicle does take a bit longer due to height issues but any good trailer top tent should not take more than 20min.
    A rooftop tent on a trailer should not take more than 5 min even if you are new to the concept

Basil try to rent a few beforehand, the better they are equipped and the layout is critically important. Conqueror is probably the heaviest on the market at the moment but they are solid trailers and can take a hammering. Jannie Kubu has a fleet of these in the rental market as well as a few Echo trailers, another solid but heavier trailer. Have a word with Jannie here on forum he has a mine of knowledge and experience.

You will need a trailer with a minimum of a standard trailer top tent the 2.1m jobbie, that will give you some space to swing a cat with the two youngsters. I would rent you my Mini but that is waay too small for a family of 4.

A bush caravan is an option but what folks fail to tell you is that it is way more expensive and a bigger hand full to tow
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Basil - you donít say where your spot to spot traveling is in Namibia? If itís a mixture of tar and decent gravel roads, you have a wide choice of off-road trailers / caravans available, but if your spot to spot travels are unfenced campsites in the Khaudum or mountain passes like van zyls or riverbeds of Kaokoland, then decent solid trailers become essential as does safety and keeping your family safe. You donít want to tow a dead weight brick thru soft sand. Go rent a few between now and then and see what work for the family.

Ask the hard beards here...happy swambo, happy camp!
    Last edited by vnielsen; 2020/06/07 at 06:23 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Listen to Henk.

however one thing I don't agree on is the ease of towing. The Bush Lapa gogga range are very easy to tow. Coming from an Echo 3 trailer and a gogga not much difference and the gogga is much easier to set up than any trailer with a rtt. Just my opinion having owned both.
    2020 FJ Cruiser, 2020 Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), 2019 FJ Cruiser, Bush Lapa ?, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Nano is a great mini van but for 4 people??............

You are doing it all wrong, even a rookie does it in half that time the first time out. A rooftop tent on a high vehicle does take a bit longer due to height issues but any good trailer top tent should not take more than 20min.
    A rooftop tent on a trailer should not take more than 5 min even if you are new to the concept

Basil try to rent a few beforehand, the better they are equipped and the layout is critically important. Conqueror is probably the heaviest on the market at the moment but they are solid trailers and can take a hammering. Jannie Kubu has a fleet of these in the rental market as well as a few Echo trailers, another solid but heavier trailer. Have a word with Jannie here on forum he has a mine of knowledge and experience.

You will need a trailer with a minimum of a standard trailer top tent the 2.1m jobbie, that will give you some space to swing a cat with the two youngsters. I would rent you my Mini but that is waay too small for a family of 4.

A bush caravan is an option but what folks fail to tell you is that it is way more expensive and a bigger hand full to tow
    Hbannink, we a family of four, and do it without any problems two inside two ontop. But then again we like to keep things simple. Thatís not everybodyís cup of tea.
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

Hbannink, we a family of four, and do it without any problems two inside two ontop. But then again we like to keep things simple. Thatís not everybodyís cup of tea.
    You need some special skills and experience to be able to do the minimalist thing. That little toy that you built is one of the better baby campers I have seen and your build quality is on another level but let's be practical in great weather you are 100% but if the weather throws a curve ball things can get interesting to say the least. I would love to have that behind the Corsa on a flower watching tour or for a weekend birding

At the last GTG I took the mini and the Corsa and to add insult to injury a 1400 Corsa, I knew that I was not going to go on the route and the Pajero engine was up the creek, Driving in the Friday night one of the guys commented "he wants to camp" .
    He was 100% right I can get along with the minimum and still have a great time, most of the time I do not even pitch my rear awning.
    I would nor recommend this to any one that is not in to minimalist camping, ST asked and we will still have a good discussion over a wee dram or two next to a crackling camp fire.
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    You need some special skills and experience to be able to do the minimalist thing. That little toy that you built is one of the better baby campers I have seen and your build quality is on another level but let's be practical in great weather you are 100% but if the weather throws a curve ball things can get interesting to say the least. I would love to have that behind the Corsa on a flower watching tour or for a weekend birding

At the last GTG I took the mini and the Corsa and to add insult to injury a 1400 Corsa, I knew that I was not going to go on the route and the Pajero engine was up the creek, Driving in the Friday night one of the guys commented "he wants to camp" .
    He was 100% right I can get along with the minimum and still have a great time, most of the time I do not even pitch my rear awning.
    I would nor recommend this to any one that is not in to minimalist camping, ST asked and we will still have a good discussion over a wee dram or two next to a crackling camp fire.
    Thanks for the feedback Henk. I would love to have some photos with the little camper and Namibia scenery in the back ground, but you right.
    I think you have lots of knowledge and experience in this specific field so I definitely not questioning what you saying.

I said it more as tongue in the cheek.

Think we will have to debate this at some get together after LD.
    Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive

Thanks for the feedback Henk. I would love to have some photos with the little camper and Namibia scenery in the back ground, but you right.
    I think you have lots of knowledge and experience in this specific field so I definitely not questioning what you saying.

I said it more as tongue in the cheek.

Think we will have to debate this at some get together after LD.
    I would love to see your baby up close and kick the tyres and I am sure Sean would also enjoy it so a good camp is on the cards. TIC is great that is what we as saffies do, things can be bad and harsh but we will find humor in it. one thing better than tongue in cheek is a good sip of great single malt preferably next to a crackling camp fire
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

As far as whether an off-road caravan is a good option, also relevant is what you would be towing it with. We have a conqueror companion with an insta-awn, and four of us can have it set for a quick over night in 20 minutes (including setting and making beds, unpacking ground sheet, chairs, table, setting the awning and drinking a beer or two. And its very comfortable for 4. A friend has an iKamper RTT (which I have not seen on the rental market) and he can be set in 10. But not nearly the same amount of space.

If its just tar and gravel roads, tow vehicle is less of a concern. Pulling thru some parts of the CKGR with a full load of fuel, full load of water, four people, and a full load of everything else, was a hard strain on our tow vehicle (D4 SDV6) - it did it fine, but the margin between fine and breaking something is smaller when you are so heavily loaded like that. Our next trip to there and Okavango will be in RTTs.

Conqueror rents most of their product - including the most excellent Comfort.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2020/06/08 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Should have mentioned my vehicle - Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland. Don't have a route planned as yet - seen a lot of photos and reports but this is just the start of the planning. We have done quite a bit of Mozambique (Camping and resorts) and it is now time for a change.
    Cheers
    Basil Peetz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast