Grey water to clear water, non commercial





Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 22

    Default Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    I am keen to learn more on thus topic. Seen n few youtubes and scanned a number of web sites. Any experience on this group on this topic who could share knowledge?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,464
    Thanked: 13630

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Mygoggie has a whole thread on the subject
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    The search engine is not very effective, which I did before posting. Will look for it

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    51
    Posts
    393
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=322805
    Quote Originally Posted by wolley View Post
    The search engine is not very effective, which I did before posting. Will look for it

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by wolley View Post
    I am keen to learn more on thus topic. Seen n few youtubes and scanned a number of web sites. Any experience on this group on this topic who could share knowledge?
    Let me know what you want to learn and do. I need to start a fresh thread on greywater only so maybe you can motivate me!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    I revamped the two bathrooms and put the drainage from the two baths, two showers and the basins into a 200lt mini Jojo tank with a automatic start/stop submersible pump. I thought it would be plain sailing if I added a 1/4 cup of Jik once a week. Well, I was mistaken!!!

    The pump works like a charm and when the tank is about half full, the pump turns on and empties the tank via sprinklers into the garden. The problem is that a grey sludge forms in the bottom of the tank, despite the Jik and a type of fluff blocks the inline filter and sprinklers.

    What is this fluff, we do not let the washing machine water into the tank, so where does it come from? The water sits in the pipes in the sun in the garden all day, so tomorrow, where we shower again and the sprinklers start up, the water has a bit of a pong. Why is that? It is much worse if we go aways for a few days and when we come back, the smell for the first 3 or 4 minutes is quite bad...

    Any comments?
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    The grey is bacteria growing. The bad smell is hydrogen sulphate gas which this bacteria generates. This bacteria eats iron for food as well, so anything iron will go yellow and have big black blisters due to the bacteria eating away.

    You can never store greywater and hope to use it. It will create a whole lot of problems and a ton of maintenance.

    There is only one way to use greywater. I know the science and microbiology behind the process, yet it took me 11 versions over 10 years to get to an effective greywater system.

    Maybe I must start writing up a thread on this.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:


  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    I have a grey water system that uses vertical media and an aerator pump which runs 24/7.
    The problem with grey water is that it turns into black water and smells because anaerobic bacteria thrive on the waste and warm water in the grey water.
    By using an aerator the water is kept oxygenated and becomes a good environment for aerobic bacteria which consume the waste and keeps the water clean and does not smell.
    This is a very basic description but it is similar to what car washes use to recycle water.
    I was very fortunate that I friend of mine builds car wash recycling units and he did mine. My only running cost is a 35w aerator pump.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by BumperD View Post
    I have a grey water system that uses vertical media and an aerator pump which runs 24/7.
    The problem with grey water is that it turns into black water and smells because anaerobic bacteria thrive on the waste and warm water in the grey water.
    By using an aerator the water is kept oxygenated and becomes a good environment for aerobic bacteria which consume the waste and keeps the water clean and does not smell.
    This is a very basic description but it is similar to what car washes use to recycle water.
    I was very fortunate that I friend of mine builds car wash recycling units and he did mine. My only running cost is a 35w aerator pump.
    @BumperD what is your maintenance and capital costs on this? Would you mind sharing that with me via PM?

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,237
    Thanked: 296

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Gogga,
    Share with us also pse.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:


  14. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Ek sal so maak ou Seekat.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,470
    Thanked: 1028

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    You can never store greywater and hope to use it.

    I know the science and microbiology behind the process, yet it took me 11 versions over 10 years to get to an effective greywater system.

    Maybe I must start writing up a thread on this.

    I do not try to "store" water in it for later use, it is just a collection point to pump it from. My wife showers early and by the time I shower a bit later, there is enough water for the floater part of the pump to activate the pump and pumps most of it out, leaving only about 25mm depth of water behind. In essence, it pumps the water into the garden daily.

    It will be good to read your write-up on this
    Malcolm van Coller - retired 2013 but remained in Johannesburg (maybe will look at moving south, Robertson or Wellington type of town, once the wife retires)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (with front Lokka) - My Platkar...
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL with front Lokka (Use it mainly for Safari business)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (with 160 H/Moon Stargazer RTT and 100 lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari 2.8 Station wagon with 5 speed conversion,
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle).
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    37,464
    Thanked: 13630

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Maybe I must start writing up a thread on this.
    Yes please. I run off hundreds of liters a week into the veld because I don't know the science behind wetland filtering.

    I'd like to use that water for irrigation instead of scarce borehole water.

    So if you get me to understand the issues around a tiered filtering system, I'd be very grateful.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  18. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    George
    Age
    45
    Posts
    2,230
    Thanked: 530

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by mvcoller View Post
    I revamped the two bathrooms and put the drainage from the two baths, two showers and the basins into a 200lt mini Jojo tank with a automatic start/stop submersible pump. I thought it would be plain sailing if I added a 1/4 cup of Jik once a week. Well, I was mistaken!!!

    The pump works like a charm and when the tank is about half full, the pump turns on and empties the tank via sprinklers into the garden. The problem is that a grey sludge forms in the bottom of the tank, despite the Jik and a type of fluff blocks the inline filter and sprinklers.

    What is this fluff, we do not let the washing machine water into the tank, so where does it come from? The water sits in the pipes in the sun in the garden all day, so tomorrow, where we shower again and the sprinklers start up, the water has a bit of a pong. Why is that? It is much worse if we go aways for a few days and when we come back, the smell for the first 3 or 4 minutes is quite bad...

    Any comments?
    My solution is to have the pump on a timer to spray at night when the smell does not bother anyone.

    It still does not solve the problem of blocking the irrigation system. My next "upgrade" will be to downgrade to a single, robust sprinkler for the grey water. It must have a big nozzle that does not clog too easily.

    Your system might also benefit from a large strainer before the finer filter. If the strainer removes the large particles and hair, you might even be able to do without the filter.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 and a second hand British Tata
    Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Jan your signature says it all

  19. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    My next "upgrade" will be to downgrade to a single, robust sprinkler for the grey water. It must have a big nozzle that does not clog too easily.
    That does not work. Been there. I started off with the cheaper plastic sprinkler heads. Within a short period the grey stuff clogged up the sprinkler mechanism and it jammed. Result? All the water gets dumped onto one spot. Then the Boss notices it, shouts for you to come and fix the emergency. You run like the Super husband you are to get the little arm to tsk tsk mode and promptly spray yourself soaking wet with greywater. A few swear words later and stinking like a greywater creature, you run and take a shower and generate enough water to start the pump again. Did I mention a sticking sprinkler head somewhere before?

    I upgraded to expensive Vyrsa sprinkler heads, same issue. So I dumped the idea.

    Now the design had three filtration stations and a final 20 micron Israeli made disk filter. I have never had any issues with the micro jets getting blocked again. Once a year I clean the disk filter and flush the pipes and that is that.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to mygoggie For This Useful Post:


  21. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Pietermaritzburg
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    @BumperD what is your maintenance and capital costs on this? Would you mind sharing that with me via PM?
    Sorry about the late reply. My system consists of the following items:
    Sump - made from a blue plastic 210 litre drum - no cost
    2 x 2500l tanks @ R2350 each
    1 x Pedrollo 370w submersible pump @ R2275
    Pipes and fittings R670.00
    Disc diffusers with vertical media and 2 x 35l/min aeration pumps and pipes etc (this was outsourced) R10850.00
    1 x 600w Pedrollo pressure pump @ R2150
    Total cost: R20645
    I set the system up in 2016. The only running costs are 35w x 2 for aeration pumps for 12 hours per day which is about 25kwh/month
    I live mostly off grid with a solar system and only use about 50kwh/month from Eskom, so running costs are minimal.
    The system cleans about 16kl per month.
    Last edited by BumperD; 2020/06/22 at 04:13 PM.

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by BumperD View Post
    Sorry about the late reply. My system consists of the following items:
    Sump - made from a blue plastic 210 litre drum - no cost
    2 x 2500l tanks @ R2350 each
    1 x Pedrollo 370w submersible pump @ R2275
    Pipes and fittings R670.00
    Disc diffusers with vertical media and 2 x 35l/min aeration pumps and pipes etc (this was outsourced) R10850.00
    1 x 600w Pedrollo pressure pump @ R2150
    Total cost: R20645
    I set the system up in 2016. The only running costs are 35w x 2 for aeration pumps for 12 hours per day which is about 25kwh/month
    I live mostly off grid with a solar system and only use about 50kwh/month from Eskom, so running costs are minimal.
    The system cleans about 16kl per month.
    Thanks @BumperD. I will get a cup of coffee and digest this.

    Just watch the Pedrollo pump's impeller. My first version had the same and the greywater bacteria ate it away. I only use Wilo now.

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by mygoggie View Post
    Let me know what you want to learn and do. I need to start a fresh thread on greywater only so maybe you can motivate me!
    I only noticed your invitation tonight. Thank you for reaching out. Since i posted my initial question, I read up a bit on this topic and also searched www media. One approach that appears impressive is the earthship design. Would like to hear your thoughts on that. As 2nd note about a later post from you is that you process 16 kLt per month: what is the quality water from this? I am keen to learn about a tecnique that uses minimal pumping and filtering, making use of natural processes (as much as may be possible). Would you care to do a write up of your current process?
    Appreciate your posting of the above

  24. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    56
    Posts
    834
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Quote Originally Posted by wolley View Post
    I only noticed your invitation tonight. Thank you for reaching out. Since i posted my initial question, I read up a bit on this topic and also searched www media. One approach that appears impressive is the earthship design. Would like to hear your thoughts on that. As 2nd note about a later post from you is that you process 16 kLt per month: what is the quality water from this? I am keen to learn about a tecnique that uses minimal pumping and filtering, making use of natural processes (as much as may be possible). Would you care to do a write up of your current process?
    Appreciate your posting of the above
    My honest opinion re the earthship design is that every "Aardskip" I have been to, the system had an odour to it. I presume what impressed you the most is the hydroponic system normally driven by the greywater?

    Yep. I am in agreement with you, natural processes, almost no pumping and maximum processing to clear water to be reused.

    I will, @Wolley, I will. Was actually thinking on my approach on this today. Video or forum thread ... Brain will have to come up with an answer!

  25. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    194
    Thanked: 22

    Default Re: Grey water to clear water, non commercial

    Appreciate. Looking forward! May that brain be blessed!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •