Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 2

    Smile Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Hi all,

    So been shopping around and reading and decided on getting myself a ranger over some other brands (based on budget and conditions).
    Lock-down is lifting and I feel a few dealerships might be dropping prices hopefully.
    I've been "in the market" and researching for about 3-4 months stalking gumtree and the internet and comparing prices etc.

    Things I considered:
    It will replace my daily vehicle
    Work trip is mild traffic to open roads (50/50) (25km round trip)
    My work doesn't involve the use of a bakkie
    I have a small boat and will upgrade in future but nothing crazy
    I camp ALLOT and keen to explore more of SA and neighboring countries
    I do long distance camping trip once or twice a year (~2500km total in driving)
    I don't want to struggle when I overtake on long distances or drive with load
    I wont 4x4 every weekend but apart from camping trips or exploring - I might do 1-2 day trip excursion every odd month.
    Reliability
    Performance
    Comfort
    I'm buying for longer term, lets say 8+ years


    What I have driven before: (not owned but just test drive that friends own or on trips)
    Hilux 2.5
    Hilux 3.0
    Hilux V6 Auto (I actually used the V6 when traveled through Bots and Nam for 2 weeks, fell in love with the engine)
    Ranger 3.0
    Ranger 3.2 Auto
    Plenty of old landies as well


    What I came down to:
    Ford Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4
    2014+
    100km or less on the clock
    Overall very good condition
    One owner
    Full service history
    Any extra's on the vehicle is a bonus to consider
    Rather safe than sorry

    Price range: 250-300k depending on extra's, conditions, history etc etc.
    I rather spend a bit more for peace of mind than breaking down in a neighboring country.


    With all that said, any advice from anyone regarding what to look for, pitfalls, price range etc etc

    Thanks all in advance!

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe Diem For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Age
    65
    Posts
    3,736
    Thanked: 432

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Oh dear.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    46
    Posts
    629
    Thanked: 192

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    I am in the same boat. Looking at a 2016 Ranger 3.2 XLT in the morning for R 339 000.
    2018 Triton 4x4 2.4 Di-D
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Debbin
    Age
    38
    Posts
    336
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    I'm also window shopping a bit, and based on autotrader, cars.co.za and gumtree results, there won't be much with such low mileage, and younger than 2014 hanging around

    in the next six months if covid has screwed enough people, maybe prices will drop as sellers get desperate, but I don't think dealers will back down just yet

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    I have friends that have had the 3.2 for years with no problems.

    The link below is what happened to mine.

    Ended up on third time lucky, ended up doing 35k km on the third motor with not one issue.


    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...lap-on-the-3-2
    2018 FJ Cruiser

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    48
    Posts
    489
    Thanked: 72

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I have friends that have had the 3.2 for years with no problems.

    The link below is what happened to mine.

    Ended up on third time lucky, ended up doing 35k km on the third motor with not one issue.


    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...lap-on-the-3-2
    Like I understand it if you want a 3.2 you buy the manual transmission.
    Last edited by fatbike; 2020/07/10 at 06:24 AM.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatbike For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    alberton
    Age
    37
    Posts
    325
    Thanked: 229

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Rangers are great bakkies...Ive owned a couple and currently still do.

    1. Do some research on reliability in general but more specifically 3.2 engines and auto gearboxes.
    2. I would buy a nice 2.2 manual If really wanted a ranger.
    3. I would seriously consider a good aftermarket warranty for as long as I can.
    4. If you can get hold of one still under warranty and extend the factory warranty even better.
    5. Personally I would not buy a ranger and expect it to do 200 000km + without mechanical repairs.

    Happy shopping

  11. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,807
    Thanked: 11884

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    I had 2x Rangers bought new for business in 2001 and 2002. A 4x2 and a 4x4 Club Cabs. Loved them,never any issues, in my mind bullet proof.

    2014 I head to Zambia, went through 3 in 6 months, auto transmission issues. Thats 3 different vehicles. I still like them but havent researched the transmission issues so mine might have been 3 duff units.

    My experience with them but I still like them. Have owned Land Rovers over 20 years, I still like them but I wouldnt have one on my shopping list either. I would buy the 2001 and 2002 ones again though, loved their honesty and simplicity.

    Sorry Hedge, sorry Skihili
    Last edited by Estee; 2020/07/10 at 08:45 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    53
    Posts
    159
    Thanked: 17

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by MUGmug View Post
    Rangers are great bakkies...Ive owned a couple and currently still do.

    1. Do some research on reliability in general but more specifically 3.2 engines and auto gearboxes.
    2. I would buy a nice 2.2 manual If really wanted a ranger.
    3. I would seriously consider a good aftermarket warranty for as long as I can.
    4. If you can get hold of one still under warranty and extend the factory warranty even better.
    5. Personally I would not buy a ranger and expect it to do 200 000km + without mechanical repairs.

    Happy shopping
    i agree, I will not buy a 3.2 again. I would rather find a nice 2.2.

    The gearbox does not make a difference, I prefer auto.

    Definitely get the extended warranty, the amount spent under warranty on my ranger was R422k.
    2018 FJ Cruiser

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Edd For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    46
    Posts
    629
    Thanked: 192

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    I drove a 2016 3.2 Auto at Malmesbury Ford.
    At idle, I feel a slight vibration on the seat, steering and pedals. Not normal in my opnion.
    Got into the Wildtrak next to it and it is smooth as butter.

    When driving it does feel a lot more nippy and responsive than the 2016 Everest 3.2 I drove last week.
    Last edited by Nerd; 2020/07/10 at 08:14 PM.
    2018 Triton 4x4 2.4 Di-D
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Debbin
    Age
    38
    Posts
    336
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by MUGmug View Post
    5. Personally I would not buy a ranger and expect it to do 200 000km + without mechanical repairs.
    This is not encouraging....

    I too want to get a replacement for my 2.5WLT next year, and the 3.2 auto was on my watchlist.....

  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    46
    Posts
    629
    Thanked: 192

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Took a 3.2 Ranger 2016 for a drive today. I loved it.

    Drives well, strong and feels solid. It does have larger tires and a lift kit fitted, with aftermarket shocks and coils, but seems well installed.
    My head says turn away, my heart is tearing my head a new one.

    I know the 2018 Triton with 32000 on the clock is the sensible choice. Got a warranty and service plan active.
    But, as MUGmug mentioned, I have read the stories of the 3.2 unreliability, but is it really so common? Few people mention that they run trouble free.

    But look at this!! Great example of someone caring for his car. That motor turns so smoothly it just feels like it will run forever.

    Name:  20200711_111515.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  465.4 KB
    Last edited by Nerd; 2020/07/11 at 09:01 PM.
    2018 Triton 4x4 2.4 Di-D
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Location
    Stilbaai
    Age
    58
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Hi folks, I've had 3 Rangers, the 2,2 manual, the 3,2 2017 auto and the 3.2 2019 auto, current one. No issues whatsoever. What really impressed me was the service from Ford. I had the belts sliced by wire driving through bush in the Caprivi and got towed to a town called Kongola. There is nothing there, it's in the middle of nowhere. So I called Ford's service number in the service book and to cut a long story short, they sent a breakdown truck to come and collect my Ranger (it took 18hrs to get to me and the chap on the phone called me back twice to check if I was okay) and took it to the dealer in Grootfontein who gave me a car to run around with while he sorted the belts out. Didn't cost me a cent. That's my kind of service !!

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    68
    Posts
    4,497
    Thanked: 875

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by Fliend View Post
    and took it to the dealer in Grootfontein who gave me a car to run around with while he sorted the belts out. Didn't cost me a cent. That's my kind of service !!
    Yes that dealer do deliver, contrary to the rest of the Ford agents in Nam. So around Grootfontain you can drive a Ford, for the rest you need to be a very big supporter else you will go to another make over time.
    Last edited by JLK; 2020/07/14 at 11:38 AM.
    Johan Kriel

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,756
    Thanked: 272

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Took a 3.2 Ranger 2016 for a drive today. I loved it.

    Drives well, strong and feels solid. It does have larger tires and a lift kit fitted, with aftermarket shocks and coils, but seems well installed.
    My head says turn away, my heart is tearing my head a new one.

    I know the 2018 Triton with 32000 on the clock is the sensible choice. Got a warranty and service plan active.
    But, as MUGmug mentioned, I have read the stories of the 3.2 unreliability, but is it really so common? Few people mention that they run trouble free.

    But look at this!! Great example of someone caring for his car. That motor turns so smoothly it just feels like it will run forever.

    Name:  20200711_111515.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  465.4 KB
    Draai Jacky (eienaar) se arm, hy moet jou 'n goeie prys gee.

    hy lewer goeie diens en netjiese goed.

  21. #16
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    38
    Posts
    631
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Let me start of by first saying: I think I'm hard on vehicles!
    I have struggled in the past to own a vehicle for more than one year without mechanical problems.

    With that said,
    my Ranger is now over 4 years old, and I actually still enjoy it. Done a few upgrades and changes to keep me interested
    BUT, I did change the engine on 50k, which I suspect was dirty fuel or too much paraffin in the diesel...

    I would not go for the 2.2 as I dont think it will last my foot. I also dont tow at 80km/hr and the auto box has worked very well for me.
    Im now on 110 000km with the issues I had:
    50k - engine replacement
    90k - Fanbelt tensioner failed (with ample warning I must say)
    100k - Shocks
    105k - ABS sensors get water and then goes into limp mode

    So, consider your drive style in addition to your list of considerations...
    I think my next vehicle should be a Toyota to see if it can last me
    Last edited by Smiles; 2020/07/14 at 12:33 PM.
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Debbin
    Age
    38
    Posts
    336
    Thanked: 58

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Some of the input or comments are regarding NEW vehicles still covered under warranty.....

    what about used vehicles, those that are now out of warranty, say at 150-200kkm....

    thats what we are looking at in this price range...

    is it looking for trouble buying a vehicle that has probably already blown an engine or gearbox in its life, popped a turbo and intercooler, that was fixed under warranty?
    Last edited by RvanZ; 2020/07/14 at 12:43 PM.

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Durban
    Posts
    227
    Thanked: 83

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    My ranger was 145000kms when it got stolen last week saturday. Tracking company recovered their unit but no vehicle attached to unit. It was a T6 3.2 4x4 auto.

    Please put at least 2 different tracking units from different companies into your vehicle and take of the 4x4 stickers!

    Other than that there was no issues with the vehicle at all! ran like clockwork....
    Curent: VW Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line
    Current: VW G6 GTi DSG

    Ex:Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT (Stolen but not forgotten)
    Ex:Paj DiD SWB Auto (Sold but not forgotten)
    Ex:E92 335i 430kw at the wheels! (Sold but not forgotten)

  24. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    38
    Posts
    631
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    Some of the input or comments are regarding NEW vehicles still covered under warranty.....

    what about used vehicles, those that are now out of warranty, say at 150-200kkm....

    thats what we are looking at in this price range...

    is it looking for trouble buying a vehicle that has probably already blown an engine or gearbox in its life, popped a turbo and intercooler, that was fixed under warranty?
    My opinion, its never the same again... Clips, cable routings, brackets, covers are never installed as per factory and you get the odd scuffing of pipes/cables etc.

    I think if you really want a view of higher km's, speak to a courier company...
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

  25. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    38
    Posts
    631
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Advice on buying a Ranger 3.2 DC 4x4

    Quote Originally Posted by Kish2604 View Post
    My ranger was 145000kms when it got stolen last week saturday. Tracking company recovered their unit but no vehicle attached to unit. It was a T6 3.2 4x4 auto.

    Please put at least 2 different tracking units from different companies into your vehicle and take of the 4x4 stickers!

    Other than that there was no issues with the vehicle at all! ran like clockwork....
    I don't want a tracker unit, if they take it, they must keep it... Nothing like a dash rattle after repairs when you get it back...
    Hennie
    Ford Ranger Wildtrak 4x4
    Disclaimer: The views expressed by me in the above thread and replies are based on my personal experience and perceptions, which may be subjected to change from time to time.
    ORRA Call Sign B165

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Smiles For This Useful Post:


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •