Bluetooth Earbuds for Microsoft Teams/Zoom Meetings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bluetooth Earbuds for Microsoft Teams/Zoom Meetings

Since the start of lockdown, and the restrictions on travel our company was forced to do more meetings via the various platforms available. Microsoft Teams and Skype for South African and European companies and Zoom for Korea.

Lately with the idea of movement in our company, all our meetings were now moved to these platforms as well. Like we all do, we start with the wired earphones that comes with your phone (I use my phone for these meetings) But as one do these meetings frequently, around 16-20 a week I have decided to invest in a pair of wireless earbuds, but relatively cheap.

I bought TWS i12, lasted 2 meetings and the one pod died. Sound quality was good, battery life shocking and later on colleagues complained I sound like I am in a tin. (Mic quality bad)

I then bought a slightly more expensive type, Volkano Scorpio. Battery life excellent, sound quality excellent and once again colleagues complained I sound in a tin.

So I reverted back to the trusty wired earphones that came with my Apple phone. Immediately colleagues say it is 100%

I still feel I need to buy the wireless one’s for convenience.

What else is out there that will not make me sound like I am in a tin or under water? Do Intake the plunge and go for the Airpods 2 or even stretch my budget as far as the Airpods Pro? (Both from Apple)
    Sent from my iPhone

Default Re: Bluetooth Earbuds for Microsoft Teams/Zoom Meetings

From a Mic point of view most Wireless ones start off at a disadvantage that is difficult, if not near impossible to overcome. The Mic is in your ear.

You need a set where the Mic is tethered somewhere near your mouth. So if wireless then ones where you still have a brace that goes around your neck with the mic at one end. I think they are called neckbands. Another advantage of the neckbands is that they have more space for a bigger battery, so longer talk time.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    From a Mic point of view most Wireless ones start off at a disadvantage that is difficult, if not near impossible to overcome. The Mic is in your ear.

You need a set where the Mic is tethered somewhere near your mouth. So if wireless then ones where you still have a brace that goes around your neck with the mic at one end. I think they are called neckbands. Another advantage of the neckbands is that they have more space for a bigger battery, so longer talk time.
    Thanks, yes I also figured that the mic in the ear could cause a problem. The fact that the manufacturers still make them like that blows my mind.

I saw the apple wireless one’s have their mic situated at the bottom part of the ‘stick’ where the charge contacts are, thus not sitting in your ear.
    Sent from my iPhone

Agree with Fluffy, you'll have to look at something with a microphone closer to your mouth, unless you want to go all out and get something like the Apple Airpods which BTW have very decent microphone quality.

I guess you want ear buds specifically for aesthetic reasons, but you still get a lot of headset options which will bring the microphone closer to your mouth without making you look like a alien.

Also remember the version of bluetooth of the headphones and computer will effect the quality to some extent, so just keep this in mind as well. Airpods 2 for example have bluetooth 5.0 so its audio quality if used with a iPhone which also have bluetooth 5.0 will be better than its quality if used with a iPhone with let's say bluetooth 4.0.
    It's in pubs where the world's greatest ideas begin.

Im Team, zoom and any online meeting fatigued. Just plain exhaustion. Just a comment...
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Rebel, invest in a wireless headset with a noice canceling mic. There is lots of options and combinations, but start with something proper if you will be spending hours on calls etc.
    2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8 SW
    1994 Defender TDi 200
    -----------------------------
    Drive it like you stole it!!
    -----------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Im Team, zoom and any online meeting fatigued. Just plain exhaustion. Just a comment...

I actually hope if there's one good thing that will come out of this entire C19 thing, it will be that people realize the majority of meetings can continue to be done this way.
    Yes there are meetings that's just better face to face, but so many meetings on the other hand is just a waste of time. Drive a hour to a meeting, meet for 15 minutes with 2 people, take another hour to drive to the next meeting.

Another thing I see people complaining about with these virtual meetings is that it's very difficult to have constructive meetings with large groups of people. Well I anyway believe that large meetings is very inefficient and so do many others.

Invest in a good quality headphones like Sony WH-1000XM3

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Agree with Fluffy, you'll have to look at something with a microphone closer to your mouth, unless you want to go all out and get something like the Apple Airpods which BTW have very decent microphone quality.

I guess you want ear buds specifically for aesthetic reasons, but you still get a lot of headset options which will bring the microphone closer to your mouth without making you look like a alien.

Also remember the version of bluetooth of the headphones and computer will effect the quality to some extent, so just keep this in mind as well. Airpods 2 for example have bluetooth 5.0 so its audio quality if used with a iPhone which also have bluetooth 5.0 will be better than its quality if used with a iPhone with let's say bluetooth 4.0.
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I am currently using my phone. Do you have any experience with the Airpods 2? I see you made a comment that they have a decent mic quality.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by JJ-Namibia View Post
    Rebel, invest in a wireless headset with a noice canceling mic. There is lots of options and combinations, but start with something proper if you will be spending hours on calls etc.
    Thanks, do you have any recommendations on the brand etc.?
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Invest in a good quality headphones like Sony WH-1000XM3
    Cool. I will google them and see if I can actually go to a shop to view them.
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Yes, I am currently using my phone. Do you have any experience with the Airpods 2? I see you made a comment that they have a decent mic quality.

I Talk on Facetime with a friend who uses Airpods 2 on quite a regular bases and he sounds good, but don't own a pare myself. I suggest you also look at some Youtube and other reviews, just Google Apple Airpods microphone quality.

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I Talk on Facetime with a friend who uses Airpods 2 on quite a regular bases and he sounds good, but don't own a pare myself. I suggest you also look at some Youtube and other reviews, just Google Apple Airpods microphone quality.
    Ok. I will do a search and look at reviews.
    Sent from my iPhone

I spend at least 5 hours everyday in a Teams call.
    I use Bose QC35 II without any issues
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2020/06/06 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Saw a review when doing a general search. They are epic!
    Sent from my iPhone

I have to look also into something like this. My problem is that I have a narrow band dip in my hearing. For instance I cannot use some phones if the "speaker" is mainly on that Hz band. Spending thousands on a set and then it doesn't work. I must look around to find a shop that has different makes to test. I recommend anybody that has a hearing issue to do the same - test.

I like the second line in the image

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

There is a reason things like the BOSE and Apple products are so expensive - they work.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    Cool. I will google them and see if I can actually go to a shop to view them.
    Personally I use Bose 700 but the Sony is rated better and cheaper

Also look at Plantronics, for example this one.
    https://www.takealot.com/plantronics...k/PLID49648334

They are brilliant, long battery life, auto answer when it detects you pick it up and put it on your ear, crystal clear sound etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27kC25to5bg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjoDRoJJPrg

Edit, MUCH cheaper here!
    https://headset.co.za/index.php/expl...headset-2.html
    Last edited by Dirk; 2020/06/06 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Also look at Plantronics, for example this one.
    https://www.takealot.com/plantronics...k/PLID49648334

They are brilliant, long battery life, auto answer when it detects you pick it up and put it on your ear, crystal clear sound etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27kC25to5bg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjoDRoJJPrg

Edit, MUCH cheaper here!
    https://headset.co.za/index.php/expl...headset-2.html
    Thanks for the links. Will go through them.
    Sent from my iPhone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast