It's a wrap on the CJ7

Default It's a wrap on the CJ7

The project Jeep has been standing for a while now with no new projects for a long time, there always seems to be something else which needs attention. Fortunately the lock down period presented us with an abundance of spare time at home which we put to good use …. A new project for the Jeep

The CJ7 has a SOA (Spring Over Axel) conversion and that combined with the 400ci Chevy V8 resulted in a significant amount of axel wrap on the rear differential. Gear changes and pull away was always “jerky” and the effect on the universal joints could not have been good, especially since the rear prop-shaft is very short (result of the Chevy V8 and TH350 tranny). The addition of a anti wrap bar was always on the bucket list and putting the “spare” time to good use we decided to attempt to build one ourselves.

The negative side on attempting this during the lockdown was that access to material and parts was very limited and we had to resort to only using whatever was available at home. The bar was constructed using ¾ inch water pipe, ¾ inch water pipe fittings and 25mm barrel hinges ….. and a lot of grinding/sanding down on the fittings . The swivel point on the mounting bracket is a piece cut out of an old “stabilizer bar” tow bar mounting and getting a 20mm hole drilled was a mission on its own (that thing is hard!!!). We had a brand new set of Tie Rod Ends and decided to use them as swivel points on the Diff side. On the chassis side we used a shackle which is the same as the ones used on the suspension (the one on the wrap bar can always be used as a spare should one of the others fail ). The mounting bracket is constructed with a combination of 4mm and 5mm steel plate (leftovers from some previous projects). No drilling or welding was done on the chassis. Fortunately there are 2 tapped holes in the chassis already.

The setup appears to be working very well and the ride is a lot smoother now (it should do wonders for the health of the universal joints as well).
    This is a link to the video showing the assembly and before / after (GoPro mounted on the chassis):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCjONNygJRU&t=326s

(The guy in the video is not me, it is my son….. I’m too ugly for video footage )
    Last edited by BlindBeggar; 2020/06/03 at 04:02 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlindBeggar For This Useful Post:

Default Re: It's a wrap on the CJ7

Well done. Looks good. I assume you checked for binding on both limits of articulation?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Thanx Jelo

It seems to be OK on both extremes (fully compressed and extended). There is also a swivel point between the bar and T-piece for axle twisting....

Job well doen, thanks for sharing!

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Thanx Commander

...looking at the video again.....i must say that V8 sounds soooo sexy , NOTHING beats the sound of a V8!!! ... think i'm going to keep the GoPro mounted there

Well done BlindBeggar, remarkable just how much axlewrap there is under load..!!
    Every dog has its day, and those with broken tails have their weak-ends...

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

All my other petrol burners are boring....

Thanx Marco

...i was also amazed to see the amount of wrap ..... i guess it gets even worse when there is more resistance on the wheels (i.e off-road obstacles and low range).

(....it is almost summer time again .... time for one of the famous Marco projects ?)
    Last edited by BlindBeggar; 2020/06/08 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBeggar View Post
    Thanx Marco

...i was also amazed to see the amount of wrap ..... I guess it gets even worse when there is more resistance on the wheels (i.e off-road obstacles and low range).

(....it is almost summer time again .... time for one of the famous Marco projects ?)
    100% about the low range.. and your 400 cube.. .. that's why the axles snap..

Not sure about projects on the 7, been focusing my energy on some old audio conversion engineering right now.. nothing really to do on the black thing other than contemplate a spring over conversion, or maybe coils, or maybe a new rollcage, never have used my pipe bender after-all.. don't know... but since it seems I got the middle finger from my mate over the border and potentially from our entire 4x4 group (mine - not this one) I might just have more time on my hands for spanner and welder time than expected, If I survive the virus thing that is..

Pity though, I was looking forward to doing Baboons once more with the SA Jeepclub this month but the virus got in the way and the trip was cancelled for obvious reasons.. guess that's the way the boerewors bends sometimes, maybe later, or next year..
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2020/06/08 at 04:23 PM.

1976 CJ-7, 400CI + Holley EFI, Tera-Low 3,15:1 twin stick, ARB's front & rear, oil leaks & plenty more....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    ....... contemplate a spring over conversion, or maybe coils, or maybe a new rollcage .......
    ....does the rubber arm need twisting ? ... One thing i know for sure is that the end result will probably be amazing (Personally i hope you do a SOA... i might learn something )

For interest sake... my son did a "walk around" video of the CJ7 ..... (see how pretty the SOA is.... hopefully it inspire you to do one )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEqvx6kvBM4

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlindBeggar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBeggar View Post
    ....does the rubber arm need twisting ? ... One thing i know for sure is that the end result will probably be amazing (Personally i hope you do a SOA... i might learn something )

For interest sake... my son did a "walk around" video of the CJ7 ..... (see how pretty the SOA is.... hopefully it inspire you to do one )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEqvx6kvBM4
    No rubber needs twisting, yet, I will get to do the SOA simply because I have always wanted to do a cut and turn on the front axle..

Biggest problem though is the SOA will add around 14-16cm lift, which means she will no longer get into the garage, and she does not sleep outside...